News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HP all-in-one printer in Mint

Posted on Slowpoke47 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros HP all-in-one printer in Mint

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Slowpoke47 4 hours, 49 minutes ago.

• Author

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

As a newcomer to Mint (and a “never 10″ user), I’m finding a lot to like, even as I occasionally struggle to get fully up and running.  Mint automatically found our network HP LaserJet M1522nf multifunction printer and installed the printer driver from the repository, but a plugin is needed, per the HP site, to enable scanning for this model.  There are instructions on the site to do this:

HP-printer-plugin

However, when executing the Terminal commands, the result was:

Terminal-re-plugin
      This page on the HP site has a 10 year old date, so the stated sequence apparently is obsolete.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Windows 7 HP and Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Attachments:
    • #2012901 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Can you see the installer “hp-setup”? Use ls to view files.
      Does “hp-setup” have executable status? (rwx)

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2012925 Reply

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for posting- not savvy enough to understand what you are saying:-(

• #2012908 Reply

anonymous

Yep, that is the correct version. Can you in the terminal window type hp-se and press the tab key to see if it will autocomplete?

Do you also have the hplip-data package?

Have you tried using Mint’s image scanning program to see it that already works?

• #2012926 Reply

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the suggestions.  hp-se (tab) goes nowhere.  (enter) from there shows command not found.

hplip-data not found in search of package manager.

Scan function not enabled.

Most recent printer driver is v.3.19.11, per HP site.  But, also per HP, the version currently installed should support scanning with the plugin added.

• #2013190 Reply

anonymous

Strange that nothing shows up, 3.17.10 is the latest version for Ubuntu 18.x Long Term Support based distributions.

Usually in given instructions repository packages are installed with the ‘apt-get install‘ command, but apt should have installed something.

• #2012981 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Perhaps someone with a greater level of understanding than mine could look at this link, which refers to plugins and installation options, and offer some wisdom…

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/KnowledgeBase/Class_Driver

• #2013389 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

This appears to give you the printing capability, but not the scanning capability.

Just so you know, scanner functionality is usually the last thing to come along. That’s how it was with Windows, and that’s how it is with Linux.

I have a Canon multifunction machine. Once I installed the printer driver on a Windows machine on my network, my Linux Mint machine could see it, and it was simply a matter of adding the printer. I didn’t have to install anything.

Scanning was a different matter. I found a close-enough scanner driver for Debian Linux (that’s what Mint is based on) at the Canon Thailand website. I downloaded it and installed it, carefully following the instructions. Once I did that, I was able to scan by opening a terminal window and running the scanner command, so I created a launcher (a shortcut) on the desktop which runs the scanner command. It now works like a champ, simply by clicking on the launcher I created.

Let me look around to see if I can find something for you.

In the mean time, you could download and install VueScan in order to use your scanner:
        https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_laserjet_m1522.html

I used it for my Canon, and it worked like a champ. You can use the free version as a test program to make sure your scanner will work with Linux; the free version puts a watermark on all scanned images. Or you can pay for the software to eliminate the watermark.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #2013128 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Plus

Version 3.17.10 is not the latest version. The latest version is 3.19.11

I had to manually upgrade to the latest version to get the scan function of my Office Jet Pro to work.

Follow the instructions in the link.  The process takes a little while…

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

W7 & W8.1 - Group W (since April 2017)
      Mac Sierra & Mojave - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• #2013137 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Version 3.17.10 is not the latest version. The latest version is 3.19.11

Yes, I discovered that as well.  I’ll give it another try tomorrow, but our printer is on the list of machines that require another plugin for scanning to work.  I dug into the HP site re that plugin until I got to some stuff about which I had not a clue.

• #2013316 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

our printer is on the list of machines that require another plugin for scanning to work.

Possibly if I can get that most recent file installed, the scan element will have been baked in and the plug in won’t be necessary.  Wishful thinking?

• #2013348 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Just today downloaded and installed the current driver.  All good until the error message, plugin needed.  Tried several ways to get it, no joy.

Screenshot-at-2019-12-01-10-45-09
      plug-in-install-failed
      Eventually brought to “Ubuntu one” where I had to create an account and then ask a question re the missing plugin.  Several others have the same issue there.

Attachments:
      • #2013355 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

This might help.  I got it from one of the posts at Ubuntu, and some other people reported it worked.  Copy and paste these lines in one by one.  It’s not good to get in the habit of just entering commands you don’t understand, so here’s what they do.

The first line installs Apparmor Utilities from the Ubuntu repo, which lets you have some control over the Apparmor feature that is part of Ubuntu and its descendants (like Mint).  Apparmor is a security feature, but when it gets in the way, it has to be turned off.

The second one disables it for the plugin installer.  The third is probably the line you used already to run the installer, which hopefully will now work.

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils

sudo aa-disable /usr/share/hplip/plugin.py

hplip-plgin

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.4).

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Ascaris.
        • This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Ascaris. Reason: formatting mistake
    • #2013382 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

This might help. I got it from one of the posts at Ubuntu, and some other people reported it worked.

Maybe you could tell those other people to stop by here?  Just kidding, of course.  For the final command, I wasn’t sure if it was a typo, so tried both ways, no joy.Command-not-found

Attachments:
      • #2013555 Reply

anonymous

Use hp-plugin as the correct command.

• #2013391 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

This appears to give you the printing capability, but not the scanning capability. Just so you know, scanner functionality is usually the last thing to come along. That’s how it was with Windows, and that’s how it is with Linux.

Thanks for your post.  After my re-installation, the system ignored my command to install the downloaded latest version, but re-installed the version that came with the distro, even though I had removed that one.

• #2013460 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

This link to the HP site lists plugins by driver version:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins

But there’s a snag- see above posts, in spite of my efforts to the contrary, the system reloaded v.3.17.10, the version included in the repository, and the list on this link goes only to v.3.17.11.  And if it seems ok to use that plugin, there are two items shown, one with .asc and one without.  Which one?

Edit- here’s what the system installed:

Pkg-Mgr

Is there a way to force the system to install the current drivers?  What happened today was 1. uninstalled original drivers, 2. downloaded/installed newest version, 3. system re-installed older drivers from repository.

Attachments:
      • #2013575 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

But there’s a snag- see above posts, in spite of my efforts to the contrary, the system reloaded v.3.17.10, the version included in the repository, and the list on this link goes only to v.3.17.11. And if it seems ok to use that plugin, there are two items shown, one with .asc and one without. Which one?

One of the posters in the thread I saw about this issue said that he got it to work by installing the 3.17.10 version from the Ubuntu repo, which Mint also uses, and the 3.17.11 plugin from HP, but he had to rename the plugin to 3.17.10 (whatever format the filename had, he changed that 1 to a 0), and it worked.

As for the updating of the driver… it should always keep the newer version, but maybe somehow the naming scheme was different in a way that made it believe the one in the repo was newer.  You can lock in the version you want, though. I see you are using Synaptic Package manager, so all you have to do is install the version you want, then go to Synaptic and find that package, but don’t have it upgrade anything.  Highlight the package you want to lock, select the Package menu, then check the box for Lock version.  Repeat that for each of the three packages shown.

There’s a command line method to do that too, of course:
        sudo apt-mark hold hplip hplip-data hplip-gui
        To unmark them, in Synaptic, simply unselect the checkbox for each, or use ‘unhold’ in place of ‘hold’ in the terminal command.

• #2013689 Reply

Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

Eek!  In the first paragraph, I meant “changed the 1 to a 0,” not the other way round.

• #2013696 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Eek!  In the first paragraph, I meant “changed the 1 to a 0,” not the other way round.

Not to worry- I just now got here.

• #2013702 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

At this point, with a potential source of the elusive plugin bookmarked, my best bet seems to be to start over and try to install the newest driver.  While I do have it downloaded, perhaps I’m better advised to install it directly from HP?  Either way, can someone give me the command to enter- still a little unsure.

My guess would be sudo apt-get install hplip3.19.11.run but not ready to guess…

• #2013743 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

It took me months to finally get my Canon scanner working in Linux Mint. During that time, I had to scan from my Windows 8.1 virtual machine. (That’s why I have a Windows virtual machine – to do the things I can’t do in Linux.)

If you’re tired of messing with it, you might want to just go with VueScan — see the update to my earlier post:

HP all-in-one printer in Mint

Link to VueScan:
        https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_laserjet_m1522.html

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #2014226 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Downloaded most recent drivers from HP site.  Didn’t know how to format the terminal command, so tried the double-click method directly on the downloaded file.  This process took quite a while, and when finished, generated this error message:HP-printer-drivers
      So, still stuck on this.

Attachments:
    • #2014297 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

One of the posters in the thread I saw about this issue said that he got it to work by installing the 3.17.10 version from the Ubuntu repo, which Mint also uses, and the 3.17.11 plugin from HP, but he had to rename the plugin to 3.17.10 (whatever format the filename had, he changed that 1 to a 0), and it worked.

Just now tried this workaround, saw the same error message as in my last post.

At this point, looks like we’ll have to keep Win7 in both computers to have the scan function enabled- works as expected in that OS.

• #2014375 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

The terminal command you will need is probably

sudo sh ./hplip-3.19.11.run

from the directory where the file is stored.

You can just use Windows for printing if you want, but if you want to keep trying, this is solvable… it’s just a pain in the butt.

I don’t completely grasp the issue you’re having, since I don’t have a HP printer and I can’t replicate the issue on my end… if I could, I could probably give you more information.  I do know I’ve seen people on the web who have had the issue and have said it was resolved, though!

With Linux, it can be tricky sometimes, as hardware manufacturer support for Linux is not always the greatest. If they packaged the driver in a .deb format, it would be really simple, but .deb only works with Debian and related distros (like Ubuntu and Mint), but not others.  The .run files are cross-distro, but they don’t always handle dependencies as well as the .deb would have.

Sometimes you get lucky– my Canon printer/scanner (MF3010) works out of the box as far as scanning, with no additional driver required, and the printer driver from Canon installed and worked without any issues at all.  I bought the unit when I was a Windows-only user, so I was lucky when it came to Linux support.

The VM method MrJimPhelps suggested would be more convenient than using the Windows bit of the dual-boot to print.  With the VM, you can run Windows and do your printing while your Linux session is still active, so you don’t have to reboot twice.  Just an option to keep in mind!

• #2014585 Reply

Slowpoke47
          AskWoody Plus

I would love to get this fixed.  Just about to go through the whole Mint install project with the other computer, hoping it will be a little smoother, but I wound up at multiple dead ends with this one.  If I get stuck, I will review these threads as well as my pile of scratch notes.  I can see through these teething difficulties that Mint, once cleaned up, is a better system than Win7.

from the directory where the file is stored.

Does this mean there is more to it than just entering the terminal command?

I don’t completely grasp the issue you’re having

The way I understand it, the system repository includes (generic) drivers for HP printers, but the scan function requires an additional plugin to be functional.  This is above and beyond the related problem re installing the current driver version in place of the old one in the repository, gory details in previous posts in this thread.

I’ve been trying to proceed on my own, and my efforts to install the new driver and the plugin have been via a double-click on the respective downloads, since I couldn’t come up with the correct command.  As you probably know, this takes approximately forever, which would have been ok, but the results were error messages, as posted.

• #2015674 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

Ascaris wrote: from the directory where the file is stored. Does this mean there is more to it than just entering the terminal command?

Yes, there is. I will try as much as I can to not make this confusing.  If you understand how to navigate to different levels of folders, this is the same thing, just in typed form instead of with clicking.

In a command line system, the commands you enter are interpreted in the context of the current working directory.  In most distros, the current working directory is shown in the prompt:

username@pcname:working-directory$

so, steve@steve-inspiron-519:~$

would mean your username is steve, your PC name is steve-inspiron-519, and your working directory is ~.  That symbol (tilde) is a shortcut for your home directory, or /home/steve/, in canonical form.  Canonical form doesn’t refer to the maker of Ubuntu, but instead just means the “real” path.

The dollar sign at the end means you are running with standard user privileges.  A # sign means you you are running with root privileges.  That is seldom necessary or advisable… sudo usually works, and it only executes what is after ‘sudo’ as root, whereas the # prompt executes everything as root.

The command ‘pwd’ will tell you the working directory.  It is short for ‘print working directory.’

When you want to run a program or script, like the .run file in the previous example, you would have to tell the PC where the file you want to run is located.  You can do this in two ways.

The first way is to change directory to the place where the file is located.  If the file is in your downloads folder, that means the file is in ~/Downloads (in short form) or /home/steve/Downloads (in canonical form).  If the working directory is already where the file is located, you can just copy the command and use it.

If the working directory is not where the file is located, you can cd, or change directory, to where it is.  Remember, a directory is the same as a folder.

If you are already in /home/steve, and you want to be in /home/steve/Downloads, you could simply type:

cd Downloads

and then the working directory would change to /home/steve/Downloads.  (Be aware that it is case-sensitive, so enter the capitals just as they are when you look at them.)

You can specify the whole path at once too.  /home/steve/Downloads is a path, because it is kind of like written directions to get to a file if you were talking about roads instead of directories.

If you are in / (called the root directory), you can get to /home/steve/Downloads in more than one way.  You could type these commands, one by one (enter after each):

cd home

cd steve

cd Downloads

and you’d be there.  Alternately, you could type

cd /home/steve/Downloads

and it would mean the same as those three commands.  The path starts with /, so that means to start at root… then go to home, then to steve inside home, then Downloads inside steve.

So, now that this has been covered… I said there were two ways to specify how to run the file.  Instead of changing directory to the place where the file is, you can just specify where it is on the same line where you run it:

sudo sh /home/steve/Downloads/hplip-3.19.11.run

That would execute the .run file from any working directory, because you’ve specified the absolute location of the file.  When people are helping on web sites like this one, though, they don’t usually specify the absolute path like this because they don’t know where you’ve put the file that we want to run.

The ./ path simply means “the file is in the current working directory.”  The single dot is a shortcut to mean the current directory, so if you enter ./ in the /home/steve/Downloads directory, it means /home/steve/Downloads.  It tells the shell (think of that as the command line) that you’re talking about a file in this directory.

So, that is how you would execute the .run file.  ‘sh’ means to have the shell execute the command; this is only necessary because you’re using sudo to run the command as a superuser.  If you were running the command as a regular user, you could just enter

./hplip-3.19.11.run

and it would execute the run file.  ‘sh’ is assumed in this case, but when using sudo, you have to specify the sh.  For installing a printer driver, this usually won’t work.  It would work for things that don’t make modifications to system files, but things like installing drivers usually put them in the system folders, so you need the sudo command to run the command with superuser (administrator) privileges.

I hope this made things better and not more confusing!

If you do find you are confused, there’s a ‘cheat’ you can use.  Navigate to the location with the file using your file manager (Caja, in MATE, though it’s probably just called “Files” in the title bar or menu), then select the option to open a command prompt right there.  That will start the command line with the working directory set to the place you have selected in Files.  You could go to the place where you downloaded the .run file this way.  Then you could use the command I specified in the email above, which was:

sudo sh ./hplip-3.19.11.run

• This reply was modified 2 days, 6 hours ago by  Ascaris.
    • #2014300 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

If you’re tired of messing with it, you might want to just go with VueScan

Thanks for the suggestion- in our case, we might just as well keep both computers’ dual-boot config, see previous post.

• #2016030 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Attempted newest driver install via terminal using Ascaris’ detailed guide:

HP all-in-one printer in Mint

Newest driver is v.3.19.11.  Repository had 3.17.10, auto-installed during Mint install.  During today’s installation, terminal text generated, 3.19.11 exists, may interfere with this installation, ok to remove?  I responded yes.

From there, process seemed ok until error message re plugin, which system automatically looked for.  See screenshot:

Plugin-error
      Note that system would not let me install plugin manually as su, so I tried to do it as reg. user- “permission denied.”

Looked in Pkg Mgr for hplip entries- shows old version installed, no returns when looking for new version.

I’d be ok with using the old version, except there is no plugin offered for that driver file, and the plugin is needed to enable scanning.  So, end result is no change from status quo- printing works, scan function AWOL.  Previously tried removing the old version as shown in the repository before trying the new install, but the result was the same- old version reinstalled, no scan function available.

Attachments:
    • #2016055 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

The HP site offers “advanced” methods to install the driver software:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/KnowledgeBase/Class_Driver#_Toc499306388

These methods call for the removal of any existing hplip drivers, then the installation of, in this case, an “older new version” of the driver file.  This version does have a companion plugin offered elsewhere on the site, but there is no reason to think, since the process is in fact the same one I used (previous post) that the outcome would not be the same.

• #2016087 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Just had an idea.  The version in the 18.04 LTS Ubuntu repo is one version too old to work for your application, so anything newer should work.  What if we downloaded the file from the Ubuntu repo for 18.10 instead?

It’s the scanner portion of the unit we are working on, right?  Scanning function is handled in Mint by SANE, so perhaps the libsane-hpaio is the right file.  The one listed in the 18.04 repo is the too old one, but a newer one is is available here:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/amd64/libsane-hpaio/download

and the data file:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/all/hplip-data/download

Any of the mirrors should work.  I used the first one listed, mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu.  Whichever one you use, these links will take you to the actual Ubuntu files, ready to install with a double click from the package manager.

I’m using a distro also based on 18.04, and I tried to install the file, and it worked… I can’t verify that the driver it installed works, as I do not have a HP printer, but it didn’t have a problem installing.

• #2016129 Reply

Slowpoke47
          AskWoody Plus

Those links both have the same title:
          <h2>Download Page for <kbd>hplip-data_3.18.7+dfsg1-2ubuntu2_all.deb</kbd></h2>
          If the 3.18.7 designation refers to a version of the hplip driver file, does the rest of this line lead you to believe that my system will accept the command to remove (or, not re-install) the old version and replace with this one?  This seems to be the sticking point, as my system re-installs the old version instead of a newer one, various strategies tried.

A possibly related side issue- notice in the last lines of the screen shot posted earlier, the line “permission denied.”  This message and similar, e.g. “you don’t have permission to…” show up on occasion, even though there is only one user- me- by default, a su.  Cannot find anything in Main Menu that addresses this.

• #2016191 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

If you tell it to install a .deb, it will do so using whatever the distro’s default .deb installer is (I seem to remember it being the GDebi package installer in Mint), overwriting the existing installation of that package if there is one.

I am not really sure about what happened with it replacing the one you installed with its own.  That’s not how Synaptic works, unless somehow the version numbers are specified inconsistently and it believes the new one is actually older.

If you installed a package via means other than the package manager, which is what is happening if you run a script or .run file, the package manager is not nominally aware of it, so some weird things can happen.  In these cases, it’s best to remove the package with Synaptic/APT first, to avoid conflicts.

A .deb package uses the package manager to install it, so Synaptic/APT will be aware of it.  In the case of those from the 18.10 repo, they’re newer than the ones in the normal (18.04) repo, which would make the package manager want to keep the manually installed version instead of the one in the repo.

If you’re in doubt, you can lock the new package (after it is installed) by the means I described above in post 2013575.  It should not be necessary, though.

• #2016452 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Today I’m about to try Ascaris’ suggestion above: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/hp-all-in-one-printer-in-mint/#post-2016087

A possible theory about the old vs. new driver problem:

I am not really sure about what happened with it replacing the one you installed with its own.

The Mint system is supposed to find printers that are connected to it and automatically install the driver from the repository.  In this case, the repo has a   substantially outdated version.  Meanwhile, I’m trying to install the newest version, an effort that has not completed several times.  But each time, an HP icon appears in the tray, which, when right-clicked, produces a pop-up that, among other text, tells me that the 3.19.11 driver I have been trying to install, is in fact, installed.  Pkg Mgr does not show this software.  Conclusion- that program is partially installed.  Notice the install date shown, from my first effort-

HP-Device-Manager

I think the two events may not be related.  When the repo version of the driver is uninstalled and the printer then turned on, the system automatically re-installs it.  But my attempts to install the new version have never completed, so it is MIA in Pkg Mgr.

For my next attempt, I will leave the printer off unless specifically directed otherwise by the terminal.  Perhaps this will prevent Pkg Mgr from re-installing the old driver.

• This reply was modified 13 hours, 7 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47. Reason: sp
      • This reply was modified 12 hours, 58 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47. Reason: screenshot added
      • This reply was modified 12 hours, 58 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47.
      Attachments:
    • #2016558 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Several attempts, still no joy… Removed old printer drivers.  Printer turned off. Downloaded and tried to install the files from post #2016087 above.   Here’s the result:

libsane-hplip

This seems to be a dead end.

Then tried again with the hplip-3.19.11 downloads, driver plus plugin- the system ran me around in a circle- would not install the driver without the plugin, and wouldn’t install the plugin without the driver:

error-message

Also tried custom 3.19.11 install instead of automatic, with option to choose installed elements- specifically did not select enabling scan function- system still called for the same dependency as before.

I’m re-posting this link in case someone can tell me whether there is a workaround on this page-  hp’s Developer Portal | Class Driver guide for Advanced HPLIP Users

At this point, I’m stuck.  But the HP tray icon is still there, see above post, even though the HP software is supposedly removed.  Also, the Downloads folder now has two screens’ worth of new entries resulting from my efforts today.

Attachments:
      • #2016653 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

The .deb files don’t use the sh command.  Just launch them with the file manager by double clicking them, and Mint should launch them in the Gdebi package installer.  If you wanted to run those on the command line, you could try the same command, except with ‘gdebi’ in place of the sh.

The .tar.gz files are tarballs.  It’s like a .zip file… if you double click those in the file manager, it should launch whatever archive program Mint uses by default, and you can then extract them to wherever you wish.  I don’t know what program that is, but you should be able to use the command line version too if you like once you know the name of it.

Edit: The pyQt5 package should be in the Ubuntu repo.  Generally, it’s better to get things from the official repo if you can, and install them from an external source only if the package you need is not there, or if the official one is too old.  The question is which one exactly is needed, as there are several!  I am guessing it’s python-pyqt5, which you can install using Synaptic graphically, or

sudo apt install python-pyqt5

from the command line.

• This reply was modified 5 hours, 42 minutes ago by  Ascaris.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2016644 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Followup- currently, repo drivers re-installed.  Error message in terminal names PyQt5 as the missing dependency.  Online search found PyQt5_gpl-5.6.tar.gz which I downloaded and tried to install.  Attempt failed, but perhaps there is a clue here.

Plugin-error-1

Attachments:
      • #2016664 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t have a lot of experience extracting archived files in Linux, so I’m not sure if it’s applicable in your case, but you might be able to extract (unzip) that archived file by navigating your Mint file manager to the directory where the archive file is located and double-clicking on the file, the same way as you might do it in Windows. If that doesn’t do it, you might try right-clicking on the filename and see if you’re offered a choice to extract the file.

Once that PyQt5 file is extracted (uncompressed), it may become possible to install it. Right now, you’re doing the equivalent of trying to install a program from within a ZIP file in Windows, which isn’t likely to work.

• #2016670 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

The pyQt5 package should be in the Ubuntu repo.

Searched pyqt5 in Pkg Mgr, 72 entries offered, all with various added text.  Nothing with just that designation.  Can you tell from my earlier screenshot what exactly I’m looking for?

EDIT: screenshot:

pyqt

• This reply was modified 4 hours, 54 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47.
      • This reply was modified 4 hours, 54 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47.
      Attachments:
    • #2016678 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

AArgh- missed the timing for another edit- could the entry I need be the 7th from the top in that Pkg Mgr screenshot?

Edit- just found this:  Install pyqt | Python Tutorial

• This reply was modified 4 hours, 39 minutes ago by  Slowpoke47. Reason: link added

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HP all-in-one printer in Mint

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.