News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HP-Image 51.0.4840.0 file wants to download?

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function HP-Image 51.0.4840.0 file wants to download?

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

I recently added an HP Officejet Pro 9015 All in One printer to my Windows 10 Pro v1909 desktop and recently have been offered HP – Image 51.0.4840.0 via the Windows Updater.

I keep hiding it via wushowhide, but it keeps reappearing daily.

I assume this is a driver update for something to do with the HP Printer?  Scanner maybe?

The HP Printer site does not show anything like this as a pending driver update.

Does anyone know what this is?  What it is for/does?  How to keep it permanently hidden or stop downloading daily?  Or should I let Windows install?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
      • #2208183 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

maybe it’s time for you to install the latest drivers for your HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 printer directly from the HP support site first.

maybe Win10 thinks you have an outdated driver.

Edit – the “HP – Image” driver portion might be a scanner driver

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by EP.
      • #2288197 Reply
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Original posting by me above describes my Printer – OfficeJet Pro 9015 (same as 9010). I never installed the 51.0.4840.0

Windows Updater now wants to download and install HP – Image 52.0.5158.0

Exploring Device Manager, I am fairly certain that this is for the Scanner part of my printer as the current driver 50.0.4715.0 appears under Imaging Devices.

The HP site does not list this driver or as separately available, however a Driverhub site does list it claiming it obtains drivers from original sources (hmmm).

Since HP printer driver packages are very large and I have had problems with in the past, I rather not uninstall and install a new package just to get at this Image driver.

While the census here is not to allow Windows to install  drivers,  would it be OK to allow Windows to install this one?  Or, in Device Manager under the Imaging Devices entry it does appear that the Update Driver button is available – would this be better than allowing Windows Update to install it?

Would not letting Windows install this driver be a reason for holding up Ver 2004 from being available?

• #2288280 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The easiest test is to make an image backup and then install the update.

As always, this is after you have applied the “if it ain’t broke” rule.

cheers, Paul

• #2288315 Reply
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

I appreciate the idea, but was hoping some members with HP Printers could check their Device Manager and under Imaging devices check out HP and under the Driver tab report the version number in use.

If it is 52.0.5158.0 and they did not manually recently update their HP printer driver package, it would have to have been automatically installed by Windows (particularly Windows 10 Home version).

I have Windows 10 Pro with Group Policy – Windows Update set to Do Not include Drivers but I still receive this driver from MS so surely others must be getting this installed.

• #2288333 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

If you do a search without clicking on any links: HP 52.0.5158.0, you will see that this is a printer driver. See if you can locate the driver from the official HP site.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
          TargetReleaseVersion=1909
          WUMgr
          • #2288341 Reply
            Tex265
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks, if you read my post you’ll note that the HP site does not list or offer this driver individually – which I strongly believe is related to the printer’s scanner feature.

It does appear to be utilized by many HP printer models but only seems to be offered by Windows itself (other than that Driverhub site which seems dubious).

So Windows wants it, but can I trust it to properly install it?  If others have it, is would seem to indicate that the answer is yes.  Otherwise where does Device Manager obtain its Update Drivers button drivers?

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HP-Image 51.0.4840.0 file wants to download?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.