News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HP Pavilion g7 1070us Webcam not Listed in Device Driver

Posted on IreneLinda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 HP Pavilion g7 1070us Webcam not Listed in Device Driver

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Loungers,

I’ve been researching this and trying several “fixes”, but still can’t get the webcam to work.

I did determine the driver is the correct updated one.

There is no listing for “Imaging Devices” anywhere in Device Driver, even after clicking “show hidden devices”. Also tried turning off the laptop, removing AC once it turned off; holding down power button for 15 seconds; reinserting AC and starting again. I did not remove the battery as advised since it is dead and we’ve been running on AC for months.

When the YouCam (Cyberlink YouCam 5) is opened from the start button list,  it says “no webcam detected’ and to turn it on if the webcam is integrated. Of course, I can’t turn anything on because I can’t find it. Ha.

The webcam has acted up a bit in the past although we haven’t tried to use it for a year or more. Right now, with COVID, of course, we need to have it working for video meetings.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this working? Or does what I’ve tried so far suggest the thing has died? The laptop is 9 years old.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Linda

• #2290957 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Does it work on another PC?

• #2290962 Reply
        Canadian Tech
        AskWoody_MVP

Likely it has failed.  You can buy a new one for about $30 Cdn at Amazon.  That’s less than $25 USD.  Some very nice ones for that kind of price.

CT

• #2290978 Reply
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

PKCano It’s built in to the laptop so I can’t try it on my PC. Apologies for not making that clear.

Canadian Tech Do you mean purchase an external webcam?

Linda

• #2290983 Reply
        Canadian Tech
        AskWoody_MVP

Yes.  For sure.  They are designed to perch atop the screen.  Works just as well on a separate monitor on a desktop PC.  This example on amazon Canada web site for $26 Cdn.

https://www.amazon.ca/Microphone-Webcam-Noise-Reduction-105%C2%B0Wide-Angle-Streaming/dp/B0896VS4JH/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=webcam&qid=1598303044&sr=8-30

Most install without a driver and simply work.  Most all these new ones have much better images than the laptop built-in ones.  Added advantage that you can move it to another computer should want to.

I use one myself and many of my clients do too.

Early failure of laptop webcams and also DVD drives are common.  Both have relatively inexpensive, usually superior alternatives.

CT

• #2305725 Reply
          IreneLinda
          AskWoody Plus

Hi again, Canadian Tech,

Not sure you’ll see this since it’s in an older thread, but …

Getting close to purchasing a webcam and had a couple of questions about the one you suggested. Reading the Amazon reviews only confused me!

The price is certainly appealing ($30 USD).

We will be using it primarily for Zoom sales calls and customer/prospect interviews.

Given these uses:

• Are the video quality and the sound quality adequate?

If so, it sounds ideal and the fact you, a Woody MVP, recommended it is a definite plus! 🙂

Thanks for your input on our decision,

Linda

• #2305911 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

IME any cheap USB camera that has the right clip / sticky bit to attach to your PC is fine. Video quality does not need to be high, just good enough to see the person you are speaking to – video quality is determined more by link speed / delay than the camera.

I’d look carefully at where the camera will be located and choose one on the basis of the right method of keeping it in place.
            A clip for your laptop, a flat base for the top of your PC, stick on to poke over the top of your monitor.

And  pay special attention to the background in your video call before you setup the call.

cheers, Paul

• #2306711 Reply
              IreneLinda
              AskWoody Plus

Paul, thanks for this. I somehow missed it until just now so apologies for my tardy response!

A couple of further questions based on your advice:

1. I hope to be able to use it on both my PC monitor and the laptop. Would a clip work for the top of my PC monitor as well?
              2. Would I need a separate microphone or does the built-in one usually suffice?

Thanks, too, for seeing this query and replying.

Linda

• #2307349 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Being able to swap between machines can be tricky. Maybe a clip-on unit that fits the laptop, then stick a bit of hard plastic on your monitor/computer to clip it onto.

The microphones in the cheap units are fine for the 600mm distance to you, but will not be good in an acoustically bright or noisy room.
                You may find that a small tube around the mike is all you need to remove the extraneous noise. Make a 10mm long and wide tube out of a bit of paper and some sticky tape. Stick it to the camera around the mike and see how it fares.

cheers, Paul

• #2307464 Reply
                IreneLinda
                AskWoody Plus

Paul, what terrific suggestions! I love how you think in order to save some money, an important issue these days.

Will definitely see if I can make the unit fit on the monitor with the understanding it may not work. And your idea to improve sound if the home office proves acoustically deficient is perfect.

Once we get the camera ordered and working, I’ll post back on results.

Many thanks,

Linda

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by IreneLinda.
                • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by IreneLinda.
      • #2291009 Reply
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

That’s great, Canadian Tech. Really helps to know that this solution would work even better than the factory installed one…and I can switch it to my PC as well when needed. I love that it is so simple to install. Thanks so much for the information and your link.

Early failure of laptop webcams and also DVD drives are common. Both have relatively inexpensive, usually superior alternatives.

Very interesting to know this is a common occurrence. And that new ones are quite inexpensive.

I’m going to stop frustrating myself searching for how to fix the blasted webcam and work on purchasing a new one.

Thanks again. Much appreciated. 🙂

Linda

• #2291821 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

since the old webcam is built into that HP laptop, you may as well have the laptop repaired at a local PC computer repair shop since they have technicians that can “replace” the internal webcam.

I saw similar posts in the HP support forums of the webcam not being detected:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Pavilion-G7-webcam-not-detected/td-p/2283443

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Why-does-my-computer-tell-me-NO-WEBCAM-detected-when-it-is/td-p/1742073

• #2307468 Reply
          IreneLinda
          AskWoody Plus

EP, thanks for your suggestion. The reason I’m going for a separate webcam right now is that the laptop is on its last legs … not worth putting money out for a camera repair and not able to purchase a new laptop right now.

Linda

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HP Pavilion g7 1070us Webcam not Listed in Device Driver

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.