News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HP tablet OS partition only 1.69GB free of 27.89GB

Posted on cmptrgy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 HP tablet OS partition only 1.69GB free of 27.89GB

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cmptrgy 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

Tablet information: HP x2 Detachable 10-p0XX 64-bit tablet
      Windows 10 Home Intel Atom x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44GHz. 29 GB Hynix HBG4a2 (SSD). 2GB RAM.

Disk management
      Windows (C): File System NTFS (BitLocker Encrypted) Capacity: 27.89GB Free space: 1.69GB % Free: 6%.
      Version 1703 wants to update to 1903 but there isn’t enough room (BTW almost every 1703 Cumulative update has failed since June 17, 2019).
      1903 Feature updates have been attempted & failed since the same dat June17, 2019)
      — WU reports 8GB free is required. There isn’t any data to be removed.

There is a Windows10Upgrade folder holding 3.43GB but I wouldn’t want to delete that unless I know it’s safe to do so.

On the File System NTFS (BitLocker Encrypted), I’ve never used that: would it be safe to unencrypt it?
      — I’ve read some BitLocker articles but its daunting to me.

I need advice on how is it possible to get by with only a 29GB SSD so I can tell my friend what to do.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #2086166 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I need advice on how is it possible to get by with only a 29GB SSD so I can tell my friend what to do.

First your friend needs to fully backup his tablet to an USB external drive.
      With the external USB drive connected your friend may be able to upgrade Windows 10 (the setup process with use the USB drive as part of free storage)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Alex5723.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2086256 Reply

cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you for your advice and I agree with it.
        I haven’t worked on a tablet, is it possible to use a higher capacity SSD in his unit?
        I haven’t found anything on that yet.

Then there is the RAM: only 2 GB.
        Is it possible to go higher than that?

I don’t see how the manual that’s available via HP Support Assistance is helpful about those questions.

Well even though I’m asking those questions for my sake, I believe my friend should spend his money on a newer and more “robust” unit.

• #2086543 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

The internal drive is way too small. Also, 2 GB of RAM isn’t much.

Your friend could possibly do an upgrade to the latest version of W10 by downloading the ISO file for that version to a flash drive, then running the ISO file from the flash drive. By doing the update from a flash drive, the update itself wouldn’t take up any space on the internal drive. Therefore, he might be able to pull it off successfully.

If he decides to do the upgrade in this way, he should do two things:

1. At the very beginning of the process, it will ask him if he wants to do updates. He should say no to that question. (He can do updates later.)

2. He should do a “custom” upgrade (I believe that is what it is called), choosing to “keep everything” (files and apps). In this way, he won’t lose his stuff.

I agree with you, he should get a better machine, one with a drive no smaller than 128 GB, and one with at least 8 GB of RAM. (4 GB is the bare minimum, but 8 GB would be a lot better.)

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2086769 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

The internal drive is way too small. Also, 2 GB of RAM isn’t much.

Your friend could possibly do an upgrade to the latest version of W10 by downloading the ISO file for that version to a flash drive, then running the ISO file from the flash drive. By doing the update from a flash drive, the update itself wouldn’t take up any space on the internal drive. Therefore, he might be able to pull it off successfully.

If he decides to do the upgrade in this way, he should do two things:

1. At the very beginning of the process, it will ask him if he wants to do updates. He should say no to that question. (He can do updates later.)

2. He should do a “custom” upgrade (I believe that is what it is called), choosing to “keep everything” (files and apps). In this way, he won’t lose his stuff.

I agree with you, he should get a better machine, one with a drive no smaller than 128 GB, and one with at least 8 GB of RAM. (4 GB is the bare minimum, but 8 GB would be a lot better.)

Definitely a good plan.
      I found the appropriate manual and the unit can take a 128GB SSD but the RAM is maxed out at 4GB.
      Now I have the information to discuss what my friend needs to know.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HP tablet OS partition only 1.69GB free of 27.89GB

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.