News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HP Wireless OfficeJet isn’t connected

Posted on IreneLinda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware HP Wireless OfficeJet isn’t connected

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Loungers,

I get a “not connected” message on HP Solution Center although the printer is connected to the wireless network. When I try to print, I get the dialogue box saying the doc is printing, but it doesn’t (document does appear in “See What’s Printing” box)

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• stopped and restarted print spooler in Services
        • checked Wireless Setup Wizard on printer and it is connected to the correct wifi network
        • unplugged printer and plugged it in again
        • tried HP Print and Scan Doctor but it won’t complete; gets to a “failed to communicate with your selected product” message no matter how often I retry.
        • wireless on PC is working fine and it’s the same network as that of the printer

I’m out of ideas. It was printing just fine a week ago. This just started a couple of days ago. Hoped waiting a couple of days would correct the issue, but no luck.

Any ideas for what I can do would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks for your help,

Linda

• #2304987 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

IreneLinda – this sounds so familiar for an HP printer.

Do you have the power saving box checked?  We have found our HP printers not good at waking from power saving.

Have you assigned it a fixed IP address on your wireless network?  I think that we found that to be preferred.

If nothing else works, then you might have to uninstall the printer in Device Manager, and re-install it.  You know how to do that?

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2305008 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Silly and (unintentionally) insulting. Do you have multiple printers available? Perchance was a different printer selected for printing? (I’ve seen it happen.)
        Far-out idea (probably won’t help): Really do print to another printer, then switch back.

Off topic: I tried to reply a few minutes ago, but it evaporated and returned this:
        Errored
        I have no clue what I did wrong.

Attachments:
      • #2305174 Reply
        CAS
        AskWoody Plus

Do you have HP’s print and scan doctor? If not, install the latest version 5.4.1

I had a problem scanning and connecting to the internet. I ran the software and learned that I was missing a driver. The software will tell you to restart your computer while it does it’s thing checking to see what the problem is. When you restart the software will automatically install the new driver and, voila, problem solved. I hope it works for you.

CAS

• #2305175 Reply
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

Scotch John and PaulK, opened up PC and printer to try out your suggestions just now. Before starting, I checked the HP Solution Center where I discovered a green check mark instead of the warning that the printer was not connected. So, I gave it a try … and it printed!

Any idea what happened? I mean, I’m sure not complaining, but the off and on didn’t work yesterday, but between last night and this morning, it did.

At this point, would you suggest I just leave well enough alone, or should I try to poke around to find a way to ensure this won’t happen again. To be frank, I’m leaning to the former!

By the way, Paul, I had found an incorrect printer had been chosen automatically a couple of times before so your suggestion was neither silly nor unintentionally insulting! It was one of the first things I looked for.

And John, how do I find the power saving box to uncheck it?

Thanks so much for your suggestions and for your time. Guess this was just another case of the “mystery of technology”!!

Linda

• #2305177 Reply
          IreneLinda
          AskWoody Plus

CAS, just saw your reply. Yes, I have the updated HP’s Print and Scan
          Doctor and had tried it a few times. It just got as far as “can’t communicate with your device” each time so wasn’t able to help me this time. It has in the past, however. It was thanks to this Lounge that I knew about it!

Linda

• #2305342 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

What is the IP of the printer? If the printer won’t tell you your router should in “connected devices”.

Can you ping the IP?
        Can you browse to the IP?

cheers, Paul

• #2305712 Reply
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Paul,

Answers to your questions:

What is the IP of the printer? 169.254.195.36 according to printer

Can you ping the IP? No, get “General Failure” message each time
        Can you browse to the IP? No, “can’t establish a connection”

Is this weird? It is printing from the PC just fine again today.

Curious to hear your response!

UPDATED INFO

Just found this in an earlier post when this printer wouldn’t connect to a new router.  In topic https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/new-router-cant-re-connect-hp-officejet-to-wireless-network/, #2300147, EP said this, which seems to relate to what you are saying:

…be sure that your HP OfficeJet 6500 printer is connected to a 192.x.x.x IP address and not a “private” IP address with something like 169.254.x.x.

And, thanks to you, I’ve now learned it is connected to a 169.254… address.

Do I need to worry about this since it’s printing now? Or is this the reason it stopped printing all of a sudden, the topic of this thread??

Linda

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by IreneLinda.
      • #2305914 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

169 addresses are self assigned after failure to obtain one from your router.
        This implies a network connection issue or you have ethernet and wifi and only found the address of the disconnected port.

I would disable the unused port on the printer, from the printer web page – assuming you can connect to it.

cheers, Paul

• #2306708 Reply
        IreneLinda
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Paul. Now I understand how the printer ended up with a 169 IP address.

I’ll try this out next week when I can grab some “tech time” and let you know how I do.

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HP Wireless OfficeJet isn’t connected

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.