News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hunting for an elusive Win7 ESU license

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Hunting for an elusive Win7 ESU license

This topic contains 43 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

WINDOWS 7 By Susan Bradley We know that a sizable number of AskWoody members will continue to use Windows 7 well after its January 2020 end-of-service[See the full post at: Hunting for an elusive Win7 ESU license]

UPDATE:  Amy and Ted have created an online form to make it easy to collect the info they need to sell to you a Windows 7 ESU license.  Go here to fill it out.  If you have any questions, please let us know.

• #2022664 Reply

anonymous

Ed Bott posted an article on his experience trying to find an ESU provider.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/so-you-want-to-keep-running-windows-7-good-luck-with-that-small-businesses/

• #2022816 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yep. Susan has gone a giant step further.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2022862 Reply

Thanks, Susan and Amy; it’s a great Christmas gift for us!

Am going to take a break from the the IT madness like you guys before diving into this, however. My ideal is a cabin in the Washington Olympic Peninsula snow somewhere for two weeks, but, as budget dictates, will be content with candles and rain, which is great; in our part of the country we look so forward to it! Water from the sky; what a wonder! 🙂

Season’s Greetings & Thanks Again!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode. Extended Service 1 yr."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

• #2022870 Reply

Pim
      AskWoody Plus

Can people outside the US also use the purchase form and buy an ESU from Amy and Ted?

ASRock Beebox J3160 - Win7 Ultimate x64
      Asus VivoPC VC62B - Win7 Ultimate x64
      Dell Latitude E6430 - Win7 Ultimate x64
      Dell Latitude XT3 - Vista Ultimate x86 (still...)
      Gigabyte GA-H110M-HD3 DDR3 - Win10 Pro 1809 x64

• #2023003 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

Yes, it’s not USA only.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2036741 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

yup. ESUs for Win7 should be worldwide and not limited to folks residing in the USA

Note: As Susan told me several days ago ESUs are for those using Win7 Pro, Enterprise or even Ultimate. Win7 editions like Home basic & home premium are ineligible for ESUs

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  EP.
    • #2036840 Reply

AmbularD
      AskWoody Plus

Is it necessary to be using Office 365 to get the ESU license?

i7-4790k - Z97X-Gaming 3 - Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

• #2037278 Reply

anonymous

No.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2037072 Reply

redknight
      AskWoody Plus

I purchased 3 ESU licenses using the form created by Amy and Ted.  Upon receiving an email from Ted which included the product key and the Office 365 admin credentials for the user account they set up, I successfully installed and activated the ESU product key on 2 machines using Susan’s instructions outlined in the 12/23 AskWoody Plus Newsletter.  Will do the 3rd machine later.  I also went to the Office 365 Admin Portal using the supplied credentials.  Thanks Susan, Amy, and Ted.

• #2037393 Reply

alkhall
      AskWoody Lounger

You must be a business to get license?

• #2037762 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It would appear not – the website used in testing is not real, so making up something seems to be OK. Note: until this has been tested more fully you should be careful parting with your money.

If you want this for your personal W7 PC then I would not bother. A regular image backup to external disk is cheaper and more comprehensive protection.

cheers, Paul

• #2038111 Reply

Pim
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, you must be a business. See e.g. this link: “With that in mind, today we’re announcing the availability of paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023 for businesses of all sizes.” However, I do not know how Amy and Ted deal with it if you are a private person and want an ESU license for Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. Keep in mind though that one cannot get an ESU license for the Home version.

ASRock Beebox J3160 - Win7 Ultimate x64
        Asus VivoPC VC62B - Win7 Ultimate x64
        Dell Latitude E6430 - Win7 Ultimate x64
        Dell Latitude XT3 - Vista Ultimate x86 (still...)
        Gigabyte GA-H110M-HD3 DDR3 - Win10 Pro 1809 x64

• #2037766 Reply

alkhall
      AskWoody Lounger

It would appear not – the website used in testing is not real, so making up something seems to be OK. Note: until this has been tested more fully you should be careful parting with your money.

If you want this for your personal W7 PC then I would not bother. A regular image backup to external disk is cheaper and more comprehensive protection.

cheers, Paul

What?

So the post by redknight is bogus?

• #2037795 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Which bit of that post says anything about being a business?

cheers, Paul

• #2037883 Reply

alkhall
      AskWoody Lounger

The form:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=CEtIRBCvwEyPI4AgwsgbpPcTYf1jGDxMoOAm3rKwHJVUOTg0M1JXSUJKQjREMElWODdXQ1FVS0tDVy4u

has Company as a required field. Generally, a company is a business.

redknight says they got three licenses.

My question was if being a business, as opposed to private individual, is a requirement to obtain a license.

I have three W7 machines.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  alkhall.
      • #2038100 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The real question for you is why do you need to spend (a lot of) money to retain W7 support on your machines? If you are a business with specific software requirements then I can see it may be necessary. If it’s a home installation and you “just don’t like W10” then I see no reason to spend the money. Either stay on W7 and backup lots, or move one box to W10 as a test and if all goes well…

cheers, Paul

• #2038322 Reply

alkhall
      AskWoody Lounger

Actually, the real question is the question I asked initially.

I appreciate your perspective and respect your opinion, but I simply wanted an answer.

• #2038331 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The answer is “probably not” as a business could be one person with one machine. Calling it “business” may be a way of pointing out that it is not simple or cheap and therefore not really suitable for home users.

cheers, Paul

• #2039817 Reply

rick41
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks so much for this, Susan.  Question:  Is the “Year 1” referenced in your ESU license a standardized period that is the same for all buyers (e.g., the year ending Jan 20, 2021)?  Or does the license instead last 1 year from when you bought it (or installed it)?

• #2039822 Reply

rick41
      AskWoody Plus

Another question, related to the fact that the ESR licenses are only for Win 7 Pro or Ultimate:  I have 2 Win7 Pro machines, and 1 Win7 Home Premium machine.  I also have a valid, never activated Win7 Pro retail key that I bought several years ago (as a backup), as well as a Win 7 SP1 Pro iso.  Can I use those to upgrade my Win7 Home Premium machine to Pro, thus making it eligible for ESR if I obtain an ESR license?  I’m thinking the answer should be “yes,” but I’m not sure…

OK, one more question 🙂  The two Pro machines are both Lenovos, one purchased with Win 7 as a manufacturer-installed downgrade from Win 8, and one purchased with Win 7 as a manufacturer-installed downgrade from Win 10.  Might the downgrades present any issues when trying to apply the ESU key?

• #2039880 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

one purchased with Win 7 as a manufacturer-installed downgrade from Win 8, and one purchased with Win 7 as a manufacturer-installed downgrade from Win 10.  Might the downgrades present any issues when trying to apply the ESU key?

I really hope not, as Microsoft specifically marketed the W7 ESU at a lower price for those who’re using W7 Enterprise as a downgrade from W10 Enterprise…

• #2042264 Reply

wrangler
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to Susan, Amy & Ted for making this as painless as possible.  I filled out the online form, got the key by email, and followed Susan’s instructions from the newsletter, and it simply worked.

• #2042272 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

For the record, why did you decide to go the ESU route?

cheers, Paul

• #2086190 Reply

wrangler
          AskWoody Plus

Bought a little more time for my old hardware/Win 7 setup.  Like a lot of Win 7 users, I’ve got it set up just like I want it.  I have to admit that I’ve been strongly deterred from adopting any later versions of Windows by the strange behavior of Microsoft beginning with the Windows 8 design.

• #2053342 Reply

AmbularD
      AskWoody Plus

So, it appears that this final patch roll-up that’s required in order to use an ESU (and as I understand it, is also required in order to get patch protection via 0Patch after Microsoft support ends) will include a big nag screen.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-what-will-happen-to-your-windows-7-pc-on-january-15-2020/

Any word on whether this will appear for ESU licencees, or whether there will be any way to deactivate it?

i7-4790k - Z97X-Gaming 3 - Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

• #2100182 Reply

jburk07
        AskWoody Plus

@ambulard,
        The nag was part of the December 2019 rollup also. When it appeared on my Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate laptops, I just clicked the link that said “Do not remind me again” and it hasn’t reappeared. I did have to click that link on every user account. So it doesn’t seem to be a problem even if it does appear.
        Elsewhere here on AskWoody I’ve also read about registry fixes to get rid of the nag if you’re worried that Microsoft will “reactivate” it later.

Group A:
        Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Ivy Bridge
        Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Arrandale
        Win 10 Pro x64 v1903 Ivy Bridge
        Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by  jburk07.
        • This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by  jburk07.
    • #2084134 Reply

maxthecat
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to Amy and Ted.

• #2084296 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll second that thank you  to Amy and Ted.

BTW, is there any possible benefit or disadvantage to waiting until January updates have been applied before activating the ESU?

• #2084530 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Nope! The ESU is just a license.

cheers, Paul

• #2086442 Reply

abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

The only advantage if January updates are installed is now you can now install ESU key on Ultimate N and Ultimate E editions
          previously, only regular Ultimate was allowed (in addition to Enterprise and Professtional of course)

• #2085921 Reply

Ricard
      AskWoody Plus

YES, thank you all for the help to accomplish an ESU.  I’ve signed up through the Harbor Computing Services form SB linked to and am awaiting further information.

One question in advance: The MS blog post instructions SB published says that the Oct. rollup is a prerequisite.  I’ve been Group B installing only Security Only updates.  Since the monthly rollups are supposed to be cumulative, can I assume that ANY  rollup from Oct. through the last one in January will be sufficient to setup the ESU key?

Win 7 Pro, 64-Bit, Group B,Ivy Bridge i3-3110M, 2.4GHz, 4GB, XP Mode VM, WordPerfect
      • #2085930 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I would recommend installing the Oct Rollup.

• #2085966 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Plus

I am in Group A, so I’m not sure of the applicability of my experience to.your situation — though it might help other Group A-ers.

I  enabled an ESU license on three Win 7 Pro machines yesterday.  For some reason one of the three machines did not have the October ’19 rollup installed.  It did have the November and December rollups.  After reading the link below (which says “the latest SSU and the current quality update are required” — with no specific reference to the October ’19 rollup) I decided to go ahead and try applying the ESU license on that machine, and it seems to have gone fine, same as the other two (although I guess I can’t tell for sure until ESU-only updates start appearing?).  In fact, could that statement “the latest SSU and the current quality update are required” suggest that the January versions of those must be installed before any ESU-only become available and installable?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4522133/procedure-to-continue-receiving-security-updates

• #2085970 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

I am going to speculate:
          I think MS’s intention is that everyone who uses the ESU patches needs to be fully updated from the start. I suspect that means installing the Jan updates.
          I am not an authority on that, so don’t quote me.

• #2086354 Reply

rick41
      AskWoody Plus

Been informed by Norton that they will no longer provide software updates for installations on Windows 7.  Essentially, you’ll be “stuck” at the latest version available today.  “However, your Norton client security software will continue to receive the latest malware definitions by LiveUpdate, vulnerability updates, and compatibility fixes.”  Then they go on to warn about the risk of staying on Win 7.

Just curious as to what, if any, notifications other people have received from their AVs/Security Suites regarding continuation of support for Win 7 past this point?

• #2088676 Reply

jcaplan
      AskWoody Plus

The #Windows7 Extended Security Updates “Ask Microsoft Anything” board is now open for early questions – http://aka.ms/AMA/Windows7ESU.

https://twitter.com/MSWindowsITPro/status/1220048280656084992

• This reply was modified 4 days, 19 hours ago by  jcaplan.
      • #2089238 Reply

craftech
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi,

I filled out the form early this morning and haven’t gotten a reply nor a confirmation

for my CC payment.  Does anyone know how long it usually takes?

Thanks

• #2091584 Reply

rick41
          AskWoody Plus

My first one took a day for the initial reply and an  additional day for the key.  With the second request I had both receipt and key within an hour.  So it could vary; they might be busier now.  I would just contact them again if you haven’t heard back within three business days .  And of course check your spam folder.

• #2100159 Reply

anonymous

Thanks for that information.  I emailed them this morning (24 hours later).

Will update when I receive a reply.

John

• #2100211 Reply

KYKaren
      AskWoody Plus

What is the charge for 1 ESU license from Harbor Computer Services?  Patch Lady said it would be slightly higher than the base U.S. $61 ESU license fee.  So, how much “slightly higher” is it?

• #2100350 Reply

anonymous

It was around $68, but I didn’t get a confirmation number and they haven’t responded to my email this morning.   I didn’t check my credit card to see if they charged it yet.

John

• #2100444 Reply

anonymous

Update:  I just received a receipt for my purchase.  So far so good.  Awaiting instructions and key.

John

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hunting for an elusive Win7 ESU license

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.