• I don't know for sure…

Author
    Topic

Having trouble… Which of these updates should I have installed by now?
    KB952004, KB956572, KB959426, KB960803, KB960715, KB890830, KB960544, KB971180. I’ve been quite lazy, it’s been a long time since I turned off the auto update function months ago and neglected to follow-through with your posts. I am way-non-computer-geek, this stuff really throws me for a loop. Will you take pity on me and help me out here?
    I can’t get to my email from my computer but I could get to your website, I also couldn’t get to windows help site—kept losing the connection. So I don’t know what to do.
    Oh, and is there a better virus protection software program than AVG Free, which you suggested back when I was trying to be a computer geek.

This is taking a really long time to get to your “post a question” page I’ve been waiting for over 20 minutes, if this gets up and running… something is blocking my moves on the computer/internet.

Sincerely,
    Evelyn

PS: I had to use my mothers computer for part of this, I had forgotten my password and couldn’t get to my email.

Viewing 22 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Welcome to the Lounge!

I’d simply install all updates.

The free version of Avast! has been mentioned favorably in the Lounge of late. See FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition.

Let me second Hans welcome.

You said your system is very slow and you cannot check your email from your computer. I’m guessing from the way you say that, you are using an online email service or checking your mail at your ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) site. Do you use dialup or braodband for your internet service ??

When was the last time you did any system maintenance (Dump your Temporary Internet files and cookies, defragment your hard drive, clear your browser cache, etc.) ?? Also, can you tell us how much RAM memory your computer has and any other details about your hardware and operating system ?? It will help us to help you.

I don’t know for sure how much RAM memory I have I think it’s two Gigs. My email is Yahoo, my internet connection is WOW cable, my mothers service, I have a wireless connection to her router (No, I’m not a minor). I have Vista on an HP that I got over a year ago, will be two years in November. I have “Internet Explorer 8 provided by Yahoo” or so it says on my yahoo page. If you need any more info let me know.
      I have to leave for a minute. I should be back by 11:30.

Sorry, Where’s my manners…

Thank’s for the Welcome! Glad to be here. You are being so nice, thank you.

Evelyn

Thanks for the information

2 gigs of RAM with Vista might be part of the problem, but since we can’t do anything about that, let’s try some software.

As Hans said, get a copy of Avast. (the FREE version for home use) Follow his link and download the installer to your desktop. Then run one last scan with AVG to be sure there are no obvious problems and then uninstall it. Reboot and then install Avast. It will connect to the internet when you execute the file on your desktop and DL the installation files and install itself. Follow the prompts and allow it to reboot you system and scan on the reboot (does this by default).

Next, get a copy of Malwarebytes, the FREE version (blue download button on the site) install it and do a quick scan with it and let it remove anything it finds.

When you’ve done these things, post back and let us know how you are doing. If you have any problems during the process, post back and we’ll try to help. Good luck and have fun with this. It’s a learning experience.

Thanks for the information

2 gigs of RAM with Vista might be part of the problem, but since we can’t do anything about that, let’s try some software.

As Hans said, get a copy of Avast. (the FREE version for home use) Follow his link and download the installer to your desktop. Then run one last scan with AVG to be sure there are no obvious problems and then uninstall it. Reboot and then install Avast. It will connect to the internet when you execute the file on your desktop and DL the installation files and install itself. Follow the prompts and allow it to reboot you system and scan on the reboot (does this by default).

Next, get a copy of Malwarebytes, the FREE version (blue download button on the site) install it and do a quick scan with it and let it remove anything it finds.

When you’ve done these things, post back and let us know how you are doing. If you have any problems during the process, post back and we’ll try to help. Good luck and have fun with this. It’s a learning experience.

I thought I was doing this, and I got the mess I am talking about in my last post (02-Jun-2009 22:55)

Evelyn

Thank you

I will try it in the morning, my sister took me out for my birthday and I had one more than I should have had (hear! hear!) or something like that. I’m not normally a drinker but I had fun. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Sincerly,
      Evelyn

DocWatson

Thank you for your patients, should I install the updates first?

You wrote “It will connect to the internet when you execute the file on your desktop and DL the installation files and install itself.”
      What does DL mean is it something the installation will do on it’s own? Also I think I have more than one copy of Internet Explorer 8, If i should uninstall one how do I know witch one to remove?

Thank you
      Evelyn

DL is short for download.

The download button on the web page I posted a link to will not download the entire application, just a small installer. When you start the installer, it will download the actual Avast! application and automatically install it.

DL is short for download.

The download button on the web page I posted a link to will not download the entire application, just a small installer. When you start the installer, it will download the actual Avast! application and automatically install it.

You wrote: “I posted a link to will not download the entire application” It took me to the website where I assumed the “link” you were talking about resided, I’m sorry if I am responding like an airhead I don’t mean to. But I expected the install program to be seperate from the antivirus program.

Please forgive me,
          Evelyn

You wrote: “I posted a link to will not download the entire application” It took me to the website where I assumed the “link” you were talking about resided, I’m sorry if I am responding like an airhead I don’t mean to. But I expected the install program to be seperate from the antivirus program.

Please forgive me,
            Evelyn

No apologies necessary. We’re here to help and have seen most everything before.

The install file is seperate and different from the install file that it fetches when you execute it from your system. See my previous post.

It doesn’t really matter whether you install the updates now or later, after installing Avast!

Are you sure you have two copies of Internet Explorer 8 installed? That would be rather unusual.

DocWatson

Thank you for your patients, should I install the updates first?

You wrote “It will connect to the internet when you execute the file on your desktop and DL the installation files and install itself.”
        What does DL mean is it something the installation will do on it’s own? Also I think I have more than one copy of Internet Explorer 8, If i should uninstall one how do I know witch one to remove?

Thank you
        Evelyn

Sorry for the shorthand. I was being lazy.

As Hans said, it really doesn’t matter, except that you will be sure your scan included all the latest virus definitions. Avast will update automatically by default.

Thank you for asking.

How do I find out for sure if I have two copies of Internet Explorer 8.

Evelyn

Normally, Windows won’t allow you to install multiple copies of Internet Explorer.

Select Start | Control Panel.
        In the Programs section, select Uninstall a program.
        In the Tasks pane, click View installed updates.
        Do you see Windows Internet Explorer 8 listed more than once here?

I really did it this time…

I can’t reach you from my computer in fact I can’t reach anything from my computer. The (Avast) download said it would take 9hours and 40min (yes, the first part, the set-up). so I waited an hour– checked again, it still said it would take 9hrs and 40min, so I closed it. tried to download again this time it said it would take 15 hours. So I tried to find the source of the slowness. We have WOW cable, I called them they said to shut down, I did.
      Moms computer responded OK but mine didn’t, I can’t keep a connection to the internet. I installed the accumulated updates on both computers hoping that would solve any problems with Internet explorer… not for me. So I found an internet explorer without ad-ons in my start menu and tried to use it to get back on line… Still no dice. I’m running Windows Defender as a full scan now to see if it can find something wrong.
      I’m losing my mind here.
      How is that bata version of windows one stop for vista? Does it work? I hope I said that right. Might be windos live or something like that. not sure at the moment my mind is trying to crash.

Thank you,
      Evelyn

WOW cable….

That would seem to be the source of your problems if your system is going to take HOURS to download a file the size of the AVAST installer. I would download the file on your mom’s computer and use a USB memory stick to transfer the file to your system. But then the download for the installation file would take days if the other is going to take hours.

Have you tried contacting WOW cable support and asking them to walk you through your settings for the internet to be sure they are correct. One other question that might shed some light on this for us…. do you connect wirelessly or are you connected to the internet via an ethernet cable to the modem ???

Have you tried contacting WOW cable support and asking them to walk you through your settings for the internet to be sure they are correct. One other question that might shed some light on this for us…. do you connect wirelessly or are you connected to the internet via an ethernet cable to the modem ???

Doc,
        Sorry to “bump’ in here but she said she was connected wireless to a router.
        [post=”777922”]Post 777922[/post]
        Could be router settings or the ISP, I think?

Doc,
          Sorry to “bump’ in here but she said she was connected wireless to a router.
          [post=”777922”]Post 777922[/post]
          Could be router settings or the ISP, I think?

I agree Bob. I just wanted to see that she was connected to the right network and it was working correctly since the other PC in the house is hardwired and working fine..

Another good question.

I connect to my mothers router via a wireless connection. My computer is a laptop from gateway/HP.

I usually don’t have trouble with downloads, not that I download a lot, but I don’t remember anything taking this long. but I will try the suggestion and enlist my jump drive to what it does best, transfer files. By the way windows defender is still checking my computer.

You folks are great, I’m so glad I read books (Windows Vista for Dummies)
      Thank you again,
      Evelyn

PS: if you think of anything else I’m all ears o/ thank’s!

Is your wireless network secure ??? It could be that someone else is logging on to your network if it is not secured and stealing your bandwidth, which would slow down your connection.

Another possibility is that you have inadvertently logged on to another available wireless connection that is not as strong as yours.

Check out how you are connecting to the network. Take a look at this tutorial if you are uncertain how to do this.

Hey thank’s for that tutorial site I tucked it in my Mom’s favorites, that may come in handy, at least I know that I am connected properly. As I can also right click the internet icon in my clock/tray. I had a wireless card for a while and had to cancel the subscription, then get on my Mom’s internet when I moved in here. I am somewhat familure with that part of the connection. What may change though is the isp they use (i think they called it variable) in otherwords it is like a party line type thing or not designated to just our router/internet connection.

I have the Avast Setup on my jump drive now, but I can’t download the whole Avast Program to my jump drive, at least I havn’t found instructions for doing so and I don’t want to try opening up the program on my jump drive.

I can’t, can I ?????

Thank you again,
      Evelyn

Hey thank’s for that tutorial site I tucked it in my Mom’s favorites, that may come in handy, at least I know that I am connected properly. As I can also right click the internet icon in my clock/tray. I had a wireless card for a while and had to cancel the subscription, then get on my Mom’s internet when I moved in here. I am somewhat familure with that part of the connection. What may change though is the isp they use (i think they called it variable) in otherwords it is like a party line type thing or not designated to just our router/internet connection.

I have the Avast Setup on my jump drive now, but I can’t download the whole Avast Program to my jump drive, at least I havn’t found instructions for doing so and I don’t want to try opening up the program on my jump drive.

I can’t, can I ?????

Thank you again,
        Evelyn

Sorry for not keeping up. Had to eat. I suppose you’re past this already, but….

What is the capacity of your jump drive and how much free space do you have on it ?? The Avast Setup file is thirty-something MB.

No, you would run in to problems trying to execute the setup program from the jump drive. Put it on your desktop.

————–) I think I did a bad thing (———————————–

I think I installed the whole program, not just the “setup” I thought the setup was 32.7mb —–

I havn’t removed AVG Free. Is this going to cause a lot of stuff that I cant handle??????????

Help!!!!
      Evelyn

Uninstall AVG as soon as you finish reading this. You should NEVER have 2 AV programs running on the same system. They don’t work and play well together.

Post back and let us know if things improve after you uninstall AVG.

OK I will do that ——–) can I stop Avast in mid scan?

I followed the directions it told me to have it set to scan on boot up.

I don’t think there is an emoticon to express what I’m feeling right now.

OK I will do that ——–) can I stop Avast in mid scan?

I followed the directions it told me to have it set to scan on boot up.

I don’t think there is an emoticon to express what I’m feeling right now.

Before you go any further down this path, please tell us exactly what you have done so far.

I thought you had already installed Avast before you uninstalled AVG and had problems on the reboot. The way it sounds now is that you have not uninstalled AVG and have Avast running it’s post installation, boot time scan; and the fact that it is not running under Windows has you a bit nervous because you don’t recognize the screen.

Yes, No, Maybe ???

One other thing, and I’m not scolding you, simply reminding you to read an follow the instructions carefully.

I checked back in this thread and noticed that in [post=”777926″]Post 777926[/post] I mentioned that you should run one last scan with AVG and then uninstall it. Sometimes it helps to copy & paste the instructions into a word processing program (Wordpad works fine) and print them so you have them next to you to refer to when working on the problem.

Mostly yes, I got the Avast from the website using my jump drive, thinking I was only getting the setup sheld, because when I tried to get the setup sheld earlier on my computer it was going to take 9 hours and 40 min. (second try was 15 hours) so I thought it must be a large setup sheld. I didn’t realize it was the program until it started running after reboot I thought it was going to go to the website and get an enormous program bypassing my internet explorer issues.
      ———) You are right I don’t recognise the ugly DOS’ish looking black screen that I havn’t seen since the early 80’s (tried word processing).

It’s about 30% through the scan, is my computer going to blow up??????

Will I have to uninstall both programs and try again??????????

——-) How did AVG Free work with Windows defender, before all this?????????

Thank you,
      Evelyn ———–) (———–

Mostly yes, I got the Avast from the website using my jump drive, thinking I was only getting the setup sheld, because when I tried to get the setup sheld earlier on my computer it was going to take 9 hours and 40 min. (second try was 15 hours) so I thought it must be a large setup sheld. I didn’t realize it was the program until it started running after reboot I thought it was going to go to the website and get an enormous program bypassing my internet explorer issues.
        ———) You are right I don’t recognise the ugly DOS’ish looking black screen that I havn’t seen since the early 80’s (tried word processing).

It’s about 30% through the scan, is my computer going to blow up??????

Will I have to uninstall both programs and try again??????????

——-) How did AVG Free work with Windows defender, before all this?????????

Thank you,
        Evelyn ———–) (———–

I have to tell you… you’ve lost me. I don’t know what you are referring to when you say the “setup shield”. When you went to the page did you click on the download link indicated in this screenshot and when the DL finished did the file on your desktop look like the one I’ve added to the screenshot ??

I have to tell you… you’ve lost me. I don’t know what you are referring to when you say the “setup shield”. When you went to the page did you click on the download link indicated in this screenshot and when the DL finished did the file on your desktop look like the one I’ve added to the screenshot ??

Yes

Yes

Then you have done the right things (aside from not uninstalling AVG first). I suspect that the scan is just doing what it does. Kinda like a watched pot never boiling. Go watch TV or something for an hour and come back to the computer or, since it’s a laptop, take it with you and look at it on the commercial breaks.

Once the scan has finished (if it finds anything on the boot scan it should quarentine it to the Virus Chest and tell you it’s there when you next run the program or when Windows first boots up. I can’t say because I’ve never seen it happen.

Once you have Windows back up, go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and select AVG when the list comes up and remove it. That should help things some.

Please post back when all this has happened and tell us where you stand, if Avast found anything and if you are now able to connect to the internet. If all is well, we will walk you through the next step.

Then you have done the right things (aside from not uninstalling AVG first). I suspect that the scan is just doing what it does. Kinda like a watched pot never boiling. Go watch TV or something for an hour and come back to the computer or, since it’s a laptop, take it with you and look at it on the commercial breaks.

Once the scan has finished (if it finds anything on the boot scan it should quarentine it to the Virus Chest and tell you it’s there when you next run the program or when Windows first boots up. I can’t say because I’ve never seen it happen.

Once you have Windows back up, go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and select AVG when the list comes up and remove it. That should help things some.

Please post back when all this has happened and tell us where you stand, if Avast found anything and if you are now able to connect to the internet. If all is well, we will walk you through the next step.

Doc Watson,

Ok, everything seems fine now.

I’m talking to you from my computer this time. My internet explorer dosn’t seem to be acting up, AVG Free is off my computer, (ran an extra boot scan with Avast just to be on the safe side), I registerd Avast and told them you sent me. I think things are ok.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
              Evelyn

Doc Watson,

… I just found the rest of the emoticons

——-) So, do you think I should do the Malware bites now????

Evelyn

Evelyn,

I’m pleased that you worked your way through this and came out smiling. Congratulations !!! Glad I was able to help.

If you want to give yourself another layer of protection against the nasty’s on the internet you could try Malwarebytes. It’s FREE and is a very reliable and useful program for keeping malware (different bugs than viruses) off your system. Download it to your desktop using the blue button on the left side of the page I linked to and then install it and run a full scan (should take about an hour, maybe a little less). Let it remove anything it finds. Let us know if you try this and how you make out.

You’re much more capable with computers than you give yourself credit for. Don’t be intimidated and if you run into problems, we’re be here. Stop back any time.

Evelyn,

I’m pleased that you worked your way through this and came out smiling. Congratulations !!! Glad I was able to help.

If you want to give yourself another layer of protection against the nasty’s on the internet you could try Malwarebytes. It’s FREE and is a very reliable and useful program for keeping malware (different bugs than viruses) off your system. Download it to your desktop using the blue button on the left side of the page I linked to and then install it and run a full scan (should take about an hour, maybe a little less). Let it remove anything it finds. Let us know if you try this and how you make out.

You’re much more capable with computers than you give yourself credit for. Don’t be intimidated and if you run into problems, we’re be here. Stop back any time.

Thank’s for the vote of confidence, I will let you know how this works out (the Malware thing) good or bad!! maybe I’ll give myself the wave emoticon after this one.
        Evelyn ——–)

Doc Watson,

The Malwarebytes thing found 217 infections, I had to restart to get rid of some of them. I only did the quick scan so far. I think it might be a good idea to do the full scan.

I am grateful, Thank you,
      I will be recomending you to every person I know!!!!! ( starting with my Mother)

The wave is for you and your helpful staff.
      ———) (—————————-

Thank’s again,
      Evelyn

Thank you, kind lady.

But I must point out that I don’t have a “staff” around here. They are all my friends and colleagues. We’re all volunteers here. If we have a “boss” (other than Woody “da Boss” Leonhard) that would be Hans.

I will, however, on behalf of my friends and collegues, accept your wave with great thanks.

Run that full scan… you’ll be glad you did. Then come back and ask about a free firewall.

You are welcome!!!!

Thank you for letting me know I so apreciate your, and your friends and collegues help and support.

I lost my internet connection, a modem in it’s “death throws” was causing most of my problems. WOW cable came out today and replaced the modem and power cord. One of the reasons I like WOW cable, they never leave us hanging for long. So that is why I hadn’t gotten back to you before now, but just so you know you are the first person I thought of, I havn’t even checked my email yet. I will do that later.

A nice caveat for F-secure, on my Mothers computer, she did not have any malware at all.

I’m still getting tiling and odd stripes in my browser window though. So what about this “fire wall” I thought windows had a good one.

Very Sincerely,
      Evelyn

PS: The full scan took forever but it found 17 more malware infections on my computer.

I lost my internet connection, a modem in it’s “death throws” was causing most of my problems. …….. So that is why I hadn’t gotten back to you before now, but just so you know you are the first person I thought of, I havn’t even checked my email yet. I will do that later.

A nice caveat for F-secure, on my Mothers computer, she did not have any malware at all.

I’m still getting tiling and odd stripes in my browser window though. So what about this “fire wall” I thought windows had a good one.

Very Sincerely,
        Evelyn

PS: The full scan took forever but it found 17 more malware infections on my computer.

Evelyn,

I’m glad to hear that you are getting things straightened out. So many hardware problems can drive you crazy until you figure out that it’s hardware and not software. It’s nice to be thought of “first” though.

Sounds like Moms is a “safe surfer”.

For the stripes and tiling in your browser, contact WOW support and they should be able to get that right for you or walk you through a “fix” on the phone.

Window firewall is good, as far as it goes. The problem is that it only protects you from inbound threats. If you should get some of the newer generation of nasties on your system, as you have now seen that it is very possible for things to get onboard without your knowledge, they call home and invite their friends and then lower your defenses form the inside to let them in.

A good third party firewall like ZoneAlarm (tutorial here) or Comodo will prevent 99% of these things from ever getting in or out without notifying you that they are trying and ask if you want to allow the connection. The Comodo download includes an antivirus program as well, but gives you the option during the install process to select to install just the firewall. Pay close attention if you choose this one to be sure you only install the firewall. There’s a tutorial for Comodo here.

I’ve used ZoneAlarm since it first came out and have absolutely no complaints about it. Others here run Comodo and are equally pleased with it. Both are FREE for personal use so make sure you download the free versions and not a free “trial” version (look before you click).

A scan that takes “forever” is better than an infection you can’t get rid of or takes days to clear with the help of a team of experts on an antimalware forum like BleepingComputer.com

Keep us posted with your progress and let us know if you have questions or problems.

Evelyn,

I’m glad to hear that you are getting things straightened out. So many hardware problems can drive you crazy until you figure out that it’s hardware and not software. It’s nice to be thought of “first” though.

Sounds like Moms is a “safe surfer”.

For the stripes and tiling in your browser, contact WOW support and they should be able to get that right for you or walk you through a “fix” on the phone.

Window firewall is good, as far as it goes. The problem is that it only protects you from inbound threats. If you should get some of the newer generation of nasties on your system, as you have now seen that it is very possible for things to get onboard without your knowledge, they call home and invite their friends and then lower your defenses form the inside to let them in.

A good third party firewall like ZoneAlarm (tutorial here) or Comodo will prevent 99% of these things from ever getting in or out without notifying you that they are trying and ask if you want to allow the connection. The Comodo download includes an antivirus program as well, but gives you the option during the install process to select to install just the firewall. Pay close attention if you choose this one to be sure you only install the firewall. There’s a tutorial for Comodo here.

I’ve used ZoneAlarm since it first came out and have absolutely no complaints about it. Others here run Comodo and are equally pleased with it. Both are FREE for personal use so make sure you download the free versions and not a free “trial” version (look before you click).

A scan that takes “forever” is better than an infection you can’t get rid of or takes days to clear with the help of a team of experts on an antimalware forum like BleepingComputer.com

Keep us posted with your progress and let us know if you have questions or problems.

Doc Watson,

I wasn’t complaining, for all the headachs that program is going to save me when the chips are down and I need to use my computer I’m more than happy to let it take all day!!

Yes Mom is a safe surfer, she is beginning to get a little braver though. I showed her our thread she laughd but was quite pleased at the support you provided and says she will contact you if she needs help. She also likes the varied topics that you cover (forums). I’m pretty sure my brother will to, he’s a seat of the pants kind of guy but not afrade to ask for help when he gets cornered.

———-) Will I have to disable the windows firewall????????????? Oh and what about the new important update for defender (KB915597 definition 1.59.789.0)

Thank’s again
          Evelyn

Doc Watson,

………… Will I have to disable the windows firewall????????????? Oh and what about the new important update for defender (KB915597 definition 1.59.789.0)

Thank’s again
            Evelyn

Evelyn,

The firewall you install will disable the Windows firewall. I don’t use Defender, so I can’t really comment on that intelligently. Maybe one of those who do can chime in here.

If your Mom or brother need assistance, tell them to stop on by. Someone is usually around the boards 24/7 since we are an internationally populated forum.

~Doc

Oh and what about the new important update for defender (KB915597 definition 1.59.789.0)

There are updates for defender (KB915597) many times every month, you should install them as soon as they come out. They simply update the list of threats that defender can respond to.

[snip]
            Oh and what about the new important update for defender (KB915597 definition 1.59.789.0)

If you are using Windows Defender as your anti-spyware program (or one of them) you should install that definition update. You should have seen similar updates before. Screen shot below, however, is from Windows 7 Release Candidate, but the definitions are the same.

Viewing 22 reply threads
    Reply To: I don't know for sure…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: