News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • I don't want 1909 yet!

Posted on Terring Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Terring
        AskWoody Lounger

OK, this is getting tiresome. This is the second time Windows 10 tried to install 1909 without my permission! Even when I hide it with the wushowhide it will eventually be unhidden by itself and downloaded by itself. Having my connection to metered-on saved me once but for how long this is going to happen? The support of 1809 is not over yet. I just don’t want 1909 yet. Is it really that bad? Why MS must be so disrespectful to its customers? Why Windows 10 must be such a rude OS?

I miss Windows XP...

• #2190662 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Woody is recommending people move to 1909. There are reasons.

In 1909, you will have the ability to Pause updates. There is even a way to pause them for long term. And there is a way to control Feature updates.

In addition, it won’t be long before v2004  is released. When that happens, v1909 will not be as easily available. You will have to download an ISO or have made one before 2004 is released.

• #2190663 Reply
          Terring
          AskWoody Lounger

I know they’re recommended but I don’t feel ready to get them yet, and I really hate MS’s pushy behavior.

I miss Windows XP...

• #2190665 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Download the Media Creation Tool (MCT) now.
            Use it to make an ISO of 1909 – use the same bitedness (32 or 64-bit) as your computer, but say it’s for another computer so makes the ISO. Save the ISO to an external HDD.
            Then, you will need a DVD+R DL (double layer DVD) or a USB stick of 8 or 16 GB to make the bootable install media.

Put the ISO and the bootable media in a safe place so you will have v1909 when you want to make the change.

• #2190689 Reply
              Terring
              AskWoody Lounger

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Meanwhile W10 still insists of downloading 1909, so I turned off the Windows Update Service. Overkill I know, but but I blame Microsoft and its pushy behavior for that.

I miss Windows XP...

• #2199942 Reply
                EP
                AskWoody_MVP

what edition of Win10 v1809 are you using, Terring?
                Home or Pro

run winver.exe in the Run dialog box to check the Win10 edition & version

better for you to use something like WUMT (windows update minitool) to safely check for updates without automatically downloading them rather than using the normal Windows Update Settings app. WUMT even has an option to disable automatic updates

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by EP.
                1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2190770 Reply
        Zig
        AskWoody Plus

Terring,

Simply because you requested it:

The correct usage is “Why must Microsoft…” and “Why must Windows 10…”

“Meanwhile, Windows 10 still insists on downloading…” (Note the comma.)

Zig

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Zig.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: I don't want 1909 yet!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.