News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• I downloaded an undesired update concerning inability to disable some services

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 I downloaded an undesired update concerning inability to disable some services

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        hosa
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello there geniuses..

I would like to uninstall an update which was applied to my computer..

Previously i could disable any service i wanted, but now its greyed out..

Susan Bradley
        Manager

What services are greyed out?  Windows updates typically don’t do this, there is something else triggering the problem.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
          hosa
          AskWoody Lounger

idk maybe Im just noticing it now??

the services are Windows defender and Microsoft’s “Software Protection”

But I havent checked to see all the services these are just what i currently know..

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Windows Defender will be disabled if you have installed a 3rd party anti virus.
        What AV do you have?

cheers, Paul

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

You should find out, what really grayed out your security services. Make sure you launch services seetings as admin, before uninstallation, for example.
        The uninstalation itself could be done from old control panel.

controlpanel

Then, when the update is gone, you can disable its installation with WUShowHide, you can download the tool here at MajorGeeks, for example.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: I downloaded an undesired update concerning inability to disable some services

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.