News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • I have question about the three small partiton 10 created on only one of my three computers and back

Posted on WSCheck Marc Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups I have question about the three small partiton 10 created on only one of my three computers and back

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  WSCheck Marc 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

WSCheck Marc
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m making a guess but that has something to do with UEFI? The computer that has them has a brand new motherboard the others don’t. If I understand correctly on the one that does I need to backup the entire drive so I can restore those partitions. Once I backup the drive I can do a partition by partition backup and then incremental backups after that. On that other two, I really don’t need to back up the entire drive because it doesn’t have those partitions. Just back up the partitions.

Thanks

• #1591687 Reply

Coochin
      AskWoody_MVP

One of my desktop computers dual-boots Win10 Insider Preview and Win7 SP1 Home. For about four times now each time Win10 IP has installed a new build a new “Windows RE” 450MB partition has been added to the HDD. Each time this happened I created backup images of the HDD’s partitions then deleted what I thought was the oldest “Windows RE” partition, after which all was well – Win10 IP and Win7 continued to boot w/o problems.

That computer is a few years old & has BIOS not UEFI. It uses BootIt Bare Metal to dual-boot between the two OSs. When I first installed Win10 IP on that PC there was no “Windows RE” or any other small partition; just the Win10 and Win7 OS partitions and a “DATA” partition, and the initial Win10 IP builds didn’t change that.

So I think I’ll create new backup images then delete the remaining “Windows RE” partition and see what happens; of course I’ll post back with results.

• #1591688 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I have two backups, one is a full disk image backup that I do occasionally. This allows me to restore from catastrophic failure.
      The second backup is a daily data backup so I can restore when I mess up, or have a catastrophic failure.

cheers, Paul

• #1591690 Reply

Coochin
      AskWoody_MVP

Further to my #2 post I created an image then deleted the last-remaining “Windows RE” partition which had been added by the last Win10 IP build upgrade, then added the reclaimed 450MB to the Win10 IP partition, then re-booted to Win10. No errors, no problems, so the “Windows RE” partition(s) are not needed (at least in the case of this PC).

Clearly some Micro$oft “expert” (x is an unknown quantity, and “spert” [“spurt”] is a constant drip or a drip under pressure) has decided that the “Windows RE” partition is required. Righto M$ “expert” (yer drongo).

• #1591711 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

x is an unknown quantity, and “spert” [“spurt”] is a constant drip or a drip under pressure)

Alternatively:
        Ex is a has been.
        Spert is a drip under pressure.

cheers, Paul

• #1591697 Reply

WSCheck Marc
      AskWoody Lounger

One’s labeled Recovery Partition (450MB) and the other is EFI System Partition (100MB).

• #1591698 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

… the other is EFI System Partition (100MB).

Was this drive originally on W7 and upgraded?

• #1591717 Reply

WSCheck Marc
          AskWoody Lounger

Was this drive originally on W7 and upgraded?

Yes and no. It’s a clean install of 10 but it’s from having 7. I don’t remember if it was on this Forum or another that showed how to do it using “gatherosstate.exe” to create a “GenuineTicket.xml” from the 7 install and using it in conjunction with “MediaCreationTool.exe” to create an “iso” and adding the XML to the new install of 10.

• #1591699 Reply

WSRolandJS
        AskWoody Plus

One’s labeled Recovery Partition (450MB) and the other is EFI System Partition (100MB).

What I’ve done with both Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows was to make a separate full image of each one the hidden partitions, and keep those, remembering which order they are “from left to right” via disk management. Then, I make periodic full images of my OS partition and my Data partition, keeping 1-2 newest ones, deleting the older ones.

• #1591931 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

If your motherboard is UEFI and the HDD is GPT, the EFI partition is absolutely necessary; that’s the boot partition for Windows 10. The MSR partition doesn’t seem to actually be necessary. “Windows RE” is typically not in the MSR partition, but elsewhere. Disk Management typically shows the MSR partition as 100% free.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: I have question about the three small partiton 10 created on only one of my three computers and back

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.