News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • I think I dodged an update bullet…

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches I think I dodged an update bullet…

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alan_uk 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

After seeing the green light from Woody for October’s patches, and waiting another day until a full backup had run on schedule, I gave Windows permission to install the four updates in the queue. In retrospect, I should have done them one at a time. anyway, the first time the “Waiting to configure Windows…” screen came up, it stuck for 45 minutes, and I was preparing for the worst (after a bad update had taken me to tarnation and back last December-January). Finally I forced a reboot. This time the screen, after a short bit, ran it’s little percentage-installed notification and then rebooted. Then the Waiting-to-configure screen came up again and, after some promising hard drive activity, stuck. After about 20 minutes, I forced another reboot. The screen reappeared but, without any other indication, disappeared after some 15 seconds and Windows booted.

I let the hard drive activity fade before logging it, and then again waited till the background ops calmed down. Windows then gave the little pop-up saying it had updated. The updates log says the four (two critical, two recommended) were indeed successfully installed, and the restore point log is up to date.

I’m assuming I somehow dodged the bullet this time, but I don’t know (should I want to?) what caused the hiccups.

I’ll be moving to the leaky world of W10 before doomsday, with a new machine. But close calls like this almost tempt me (not quite) to go Linux.

• #2006616 Reply

Alan_uk
      AskWoody Plus

I had a similar experience. On reboot it said Configuring Windows Update but got stuck at 100%. Forced reboot then stuck at 35% on 2nd reboot. After 1 hour 10 mins said Cleaning Up – this took 20mins and I started in Safe Mode OK. Then restarted normally OK. Spent some time running check disk. All seems OK. After many hours I wiped the sweat off my brow!

I ran XP for a year past it’s support expiring – always taking care and having other security measures in place. Might do the same for Windows 7. With over 84 apps installed I can’t face reinstalling so many so I may risk an in-place update to 10. But that will mean making the C: partition bigger and other partitions smaller or moving to another hard disk. Time and money and stress for no apparent benefits in Windows 10 for me.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: I think I dodged an update bullet…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.