News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • I think Microsoft pulled a fast one on me.

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 I think Microsoft pulled a fast one on me.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

John L
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a Dell XPS running a factory installed copy of Windows 7 Pro  along with Windows Security Essentials.  Earlier on today MSE updated itself with no problems.   After about 4 hours my desktop background picture went black and I had to go into personalize to restore the background picture and about 30 minutes it did the same thing all over again.  Keep in mind that this has never happened before.

Not sure what to do I decided to shut down and reboot to see if that would fix  the problem.   Reboot went well until I logged in and I got a window saying that my copy of Windows 7 Pro is NOT genuine and the window also asks me if I want to go genuine and click on the button.  So I just closed that window and continued with startup, desktop appears with no background photo, just a black screen again.   Then another small popup window appeared saying that I may be a victim of a counterfeit copy.   The Properties now say that I must activate today and the little GENUINE label at the bottom right hand is gone.   Any ideas?  Should I just try to re-enter my original product key.    I don’t believe in coincidences and think that Microsoft has done something with the last MSE update.

• #2042564 Reply

John L
      AskWoody Lounger

I tried to run the ACTIVATE WINDOW link in PROPERTIES and my browser opened up saying that the MICROSOFT PAGE THAT I AM LOOKING FOR DOES NOT EXIST. So there is no way to activate Windows 7 anymore by anyone. Any Ideas? Did Microsoft just disable my Windows 7 before end of life?

• #2042565 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

See “Windows is not genuine” error in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

There’s a “Fix it for me” download to try near the bottom of that page.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2042584 Reply

John L
      AskWoody Lounger

THanks @b I tried to use the FIX IT FOR ME and the page says Microsoft Easy Fix solutions have been discontinued and they suggest to upgrade. As for using the GROUP POLICY to fix this it is more then I have ever tinkered with in there and don’t want to mess anything. This just is not a coincidence!

• #2042872 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I tried to run the ACTIVATE WINDOW link in PROPERTIES and my browser opened up saying that the MICROSOFT PAGE THAT I AM LOOKING FOR DOES NOT EXIST. So there is no way to activate Windows 7 anymore by anyone. Any Ideas? Did Microsoft just disable my Windows 7 before end of life?

You can call Microsoft’s help to re-activate your Windows 7 Pro.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: I think Microsoft pulled a fast one on me.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.