News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• I thought Win 10 was perpetual

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » I thought Win 10 was perpetual

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

I note that MS have the following note on their ‘Update’ details:

If your device is out of support, it is no longer receiving security updates from Microsoft and may become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you update to the latest version of Windows 10. Each version of Windows 10 is supported for 18 months. After support ends, you must update to a newer version of Windows 10 to continue receiving Windows updates and security fixes. To learn more about the Windows lifecycle, see Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Surely, when  Win 10 was released, was the “final” release of Windows?  – So what’s all this talk about 18 months?

As for Win11, I wonder how the global chip shortage is going to affect hardware upgrades to enable users to purchase kit suitable for win 11?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

18 months of support for each version of Windows 10 has always applied, since the very first version six years ago: Time to upgrade those Windows 10 version 1507 machines

And the final date for all Windows 10 versions was also published back then at first release: We’ve always known that Windows 10 support would end in 2025

A single comment about Windows 10 being the ” … last …” version of Windows was made by one Microsoft employee, but was never official policy.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1320 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

that only applies to most Win10 editions except the recent LTSB/LTSC releases which have different support cutoff dates (LTSB 2016 goes EOL on Oct. 2026 while LTSC 2019 reaches EOL on Jan. 2029)

LTSC 2019

could one go back to that ver? Even w/ a reinstall?

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Yes.

If Pro and Enterprise get to where I can’t hack them into a real OS, I’m seriously considering Server Essentials.

I got two enterprise licenses by mistake a while back and really like that edition.  Turn off updates and they stay off, no Chredge, still a good idea to check the catalog periodically.

Sadly, that is fact that its not the final version, although that idea resonated loudly in the wide public. When people actually found out, that its not the “final and last” version, we hear: “We told you in 2015!”
      I was surprised same as you are, when I found out, that it had official date of “end of life”.
      But I still have the feeling, that it was on purpose, not to mention that too loudly, so people will actually notive that. It was more like a whisper to me.

LSTB/LSTC is good solution, we use that for production machines for example, but at the same time its not recommended for office usage by Microsoft. To be honest I dont know really why (of course, that sell subscriptions is more profitable 😉 ), it seems like legit product to me, although more expensive.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: I thought Win 10 was perpetual

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.