News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • I upgraded my Mac to Mojave: the good, the bad and the abominable

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Other platforms – for Windows wonks macOS for Windows wonks I upgraded my Mac to Mojave: the good, the bad and the abominable

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Nathan Parker 1 day, 21 hours ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Two days ago I upgraded my MacBook Pro (2015) OS from Sierra to Mojave, and this is my story.

I downloaded and installed Mojave, which took me about half an hour. Then it came alive and I logged in. The old wall paper and my files on the desktop reappeared just as they were last seen while still in Sierra.

Then I checked by clicking on the little black apple for updates, and there were a few; there were no updates standing when I’d last checked, the same day and still in Sierra, so these were for Mojave. I installed them. Then I got news that some “Apps” needed updating, so I installed those too.

Now it looked like I was done updating the Mac itself, and it was time to check if the software I normally use and need to have in good working order (browsers, compilers, MS Office 2016…) were still working OK. The browsers certainly were (Waterfox, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), but when I tried to compile a source file from the command line, no such luck! Got an error message, posted it on Google to get searched on the Web, and got the necessary information: the solution, to execute this line command: $ xcode-select –install  (notice the double hyphen “–“) to install the command line tools. That worked out and so did the compiler. It looks as if the tools, that were installed just fine in “Sierra”, did not make it all the way to “Mojave”, or else require a different version to be installed in “Mojave.”

A second problem I encountered was that, when trying to play a movie from a DVD (not a trivial thing for me, as I have a pretty large collection of movies and favorite old TV shows on DVD), was that as soon as the movie started (or rather the FBI Warning did), the computer froze when trying to show it on an external large-screen monitor connected to the Mac via HDMI, and I had to press the power button until the system crashed. I tried again with another DVD, in case there was something wrong with the first one, and had the same sad result. So, with the external monitor still hooked in, I looked into the “Display” settings (Apple/System Preferences/Display) and found that the resolution was set to “1080p” (“p” for “progressive screen scan of images”) and changed that to 1080i (“i” for “interlaced…”, as in some monitors and TV sets.)  After that, the movie played just fine.

Finally, I reinstalled “homebrew” (copying from a Mac Website: homebrew is something  “Advanced Mac users may appreciate using the Homebrew package manager, which greatly simplifies the process of installing command line software and tools on a Mac.“) So it is a really handy thing to have. The need to reinstall it was known to me in advance, as it is something that famously does not travel well from an older version of macOS to a new one. I did that with the command line” $ brew upgrade” .

After that, as is always the case with any newly installed OS version, I’ve found a few minor glitches, but (so far) I’ve also found easy and rather obvious alternatives for doing the same things, so those issues do not deserve to be mentioned here. You’ll find out what to do about such things soon enough: there is always an inevitable learning process to go through with a new OS (and it never really ends…).

As to the bad and the  abominable? Nothing really bad, and certainly not so bad as to qualify as “abominable”. I wrote that just to get people’s attention, shame on me!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #316915 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Undead, revenant apps: Here is one annoying problem I just discovered and did not have when I still had “Sierra”, before upgrading to “Mojave”: when one clicks on the red button on the window of an application one wishes to stop using, this apparently closes the window and quits the app, but actually “minimizes” the window, and does not close the application, that actually keeps on running. So, in Mojave, the red and the yellow button do the same thing, only with the red button the screen totally disappears from the desktop, and it does so without those yellow-button animation theatrics. To both  close the window and quit the app, one should use the keyboard shortcut “Command+q”, not click on the red button… Otherwise: (a) the still, if now silently, running app will slow down the machine; (b) every single still running app will reopen its previously red-button-closed window when you start the machine again, after the last time you logged off from it (e.g., the day before, when you were done, or went out). This is annoying to me. (Yes, I know: I repeat myself… I contain multitudes.)

Looking around Mac discussion forums and Apple help pages, I get the same message: “It has always been like this! The red button has always been for minimizing the window, not for quitting the application!”

But that is not true, according to my very own “Sierra” experience: when I clicked on the red button, the screen closed and so did the app — same as in MS Windows using the “x” button. But no longer this is so in “Mojave”. Oh no, no Sir, no way, no.

Now the only way seems to either: (a) use Command+q from the keyboard to close both window and app, and not the red button (so: forget about the red button now and for ever), or (b) if, for example, one forgets to do (a), and if the app icon is already pinned to the “dock” bar on the desktop, then (after the app’s window has been closed, but only with the red button) this icon will have a little black dot underneath. Right click on the icon and then choose options>quit. And that takes care of it. There is also the option of clicking on the little black apple in the Finder or any other app menu bar, choosing “Force Quit>offending app icon”, and then clicking on that icon.

Which is all too much like redundant, unnecessary work, if you ask me, but that seems to be the only two things that work with Mojave. There is an app I’ve seen recommended, and apparently very recently, on a couple of Web sites for fixing this problem, called “Red Quits.” But it is useless, because it requires setting up first an option in “System Preferences>Accessibility” that is not available any longer, at least there, in Mojave. So this app is just old, obsolete stuff meant for an equally old and obsolete version of the macOS/OS X. (This happens often with third-party Mac apps, in my experience.)

• #316945 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

System Preferences/Dock – uncheck “Show recent applications in Dock.”
        In Mojave, when you quit a program, by default it leaves the icon on the Dock. Drove me crazy at first.
        There might be other items you want to change there as well,

• #317079 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, PKCano. That takes care of a really annoying problem: recently used applications not already on the dock that get added automatically to it when used, and make it harder to find the icons one has actually pinned there oneself of those things one regularly uses.

As to the revenant apps problem: This morning I woke up with the idea for an experiment.

So I booted up the Mac and: first, opened several applications: browsers, TextEdit, Terminal.
          I closed their windows using the red dot, but did not make them quit using Command+q, etc.
          Then, in Little Black Apple>Preferences>General, towards the end of the dialog box, I unchecked “Allow handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices”. Because I do not use iCloud devices, and read yesterday several comments on the Web that it can cause some applications to launch and open windows at start up.
          Maybe that helps, maybe not…
          I then clicked “Restart” in the Black Apple menu, and when the dialog box “Are you sure that you want to restart…?” came up, I unchecked “Open application windows at restart.”
          Then I clicked on the blue “Restart” button and the Mac complied.
          When the restart was finished, the little black dots under the icons of the applications pinned to the dock (task bar) that I had closed the screens off with the red button, but not actually stopped running, were all gone. Then I checked further on what was still running using “Black Apple>Force Quit”, and only the Finder was listed there, as it should be.
          After trying a second restart, the “Open application windows…” was still unchecked, which looked promising, and then I got the same result: the previously open apps were no longer running.
          So it looks as if, by unchecking one or two items just once (items related to this problem, but not ostensibly meant to fix it), now am rid of the undead. Hope it lasts. And also hope that these posts might help others that also use Macs.

• #328131 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody Lounger

DVD Player did get some changes in Mojave. High Sierra’s was 32 Bit. Mojave’s is 64 Bit and been re-worked in some places. It’s also hidden from the Applications folder, but it can be manually launched using Spotlight.

Xcode command lines tools does require an update in Mojave. That’ll generally happen with every major release.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #328142 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I am writing this just to mention that, two days ago, I got news that there was an update to Mojave waiting to be installed (I have things set in the Mac that are the equivalent of Windows (7) Update: “Check for updates and let me know if you’ve found any, but I’ll tell you when it pleases me to have them installed.”) So I clicked “install” and it did, and it did, and it did. Turned off the machine by itself, then took more than half an hour showing me a black screen and, sometimes, glimpses of a white apple in the middle and a crawling white bar under it with a legend just above that bar, announcing the remaining minutes… to install and restart; then it did a second restart, all this by itself, and 3/4 of an hour later, or thereabouts, the machine finally got its desktop back and sat there, like some big purring cat with no further things to worry about, or plans, for the day.

All this, since I hit the “Install” button, took almost as long as the initial install of Mojave. I think I just got a spanking new SP1, Mac style!

• #329492 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody Lounger

That is indeed how macOS minor updates work. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly for you.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: I upgraded my Mac to Mojave: the good, the bad and the abominable

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.