News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • IBM and Red Hat

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  doriel 4 months ago.

• Author

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

When speaking of Linux  there isn’t much if anything  spoken about Red Hat on this site.  IBM just put out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal saying everything is going great. Is it?

• #1874097 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I think most people on this site use a variant of Ubuntu Linux – either Ubuntu itself or Mint. Tell you the truth, I haven’t really followed Red Hat.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      Geo
    • #1874116 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Red Hat is mostly for use in business applications and, now that it belongs to IBM, its intended use has an added emphasis on Cloud servers and applications.

Most people that participate in these forums at Woody’s are interested in LINUX for use at home, or in some small business or organization. So Ubuntu and its forks, such as Mint, are what is most often explained and talked about here.

This article may explain where Red Hat is now and where it is expected to go next, as part of IBM:

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-closes-landmark-acquisition-red-hat-34-billion-defines-open-hybrid-cloud-future

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

Geo
    • #1874127 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I think it bodes well for Linux that a major player like IBM has purchased Red Hat. I am hopeful that that will cause Linux to be more accepted by the corporate world on the desktop. Once that happens, Linux will be on the way to being mainstream.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      • #1874149 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Are you sure? Name one product that has survived the IBM kiss-of-death. 🙂

(*Not* the ThinkPad range. They’re pretty awesome… which is why IBM got shot of them to Lenovo.)

• #1874233 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

The IBM Model M keyboard. Of course, IBM sold it off. That was the best keyboard ever made – I have two of them.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      • #1874244 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

I am hopeful that that will cause Linux to be more accepted by the corporate world on the desktop.

But, “the” Linux desktop as a mass-market alternative to Windows? No, that’s not ever going to happen,
        The Linux desktop: With great success comes great failure

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1874249 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

b: Thanks for that link to a very interesting and well-written article.

I feel inclined to agree that LINUX may not have a large mass-market presence any time soon. Although there is the point that MrJimPhelps has made about how Red Hat, with the support of IBM, if successful enough with big “Enerprise” organizations public and private, might open the door of the PC mass-market to LINUX. This is a very new development that the article does not address.

But there is more to this than “Mass Market” in this corner and “Enterprise” in the other. There are also niche markets. I have been in several of those, on and off, for a good many years (when not using Windows), bouncing, as opportunity has dictated, between niches where UNIX, or various flavors of LINUX, or FreeBSD, or OS X/macOS are used. The real question about niches, I think is: How big, exactly, can a niche get and still be called a niche? Postage-stamp sized? Football-field sized? Kansas corn-field sized? Texas sized? Yes, there are many distros, but their niches are not all of the same size. Ubuntu has evolved into something approaching the user-friendliness of the Windows or the Mac GUIs — as well as the availability of helpful how-to-do-this-and-that dedicated Web sites — although I don’t think it is there quite yet. Given what I need an OS for the most, I don’t much care if it is “there” or not, but newcomers used to the more ergonomic (for lack of a better word) GUIs of the two big commercial mass-market systems, might very well care. Ubuntu (and in this I am lumping it with some of its forks) is big-ish and may be getting even bigger-ish, stretching its niche bit by bit and getting more and more sort-of-mass-market-ish. That is, at least, my personal impression born from first observing what is going on and then internalizing the observations: I have neither the statistics nor can offer any quotable sources to back these assertions, I’m afraid.

Be that as it may, maybe this time something really interesting is blowin’ in the wind. Maybe Red Hat+IBM turns out to be more than the sum of its parts. Maybe Ubuntu will get a Mediterranean size niche (of much less than a Pacific-Ocean size, like Windows, but of a respectable size all the same) Who knows? Let’s keep watching, see what happens.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1874243 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Let us not to forget Fedora, the quasi-GNU distribution and sibling, or close relative of Red Hat:

https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/linux-platforms/articles/relationship-between-fedora-and-rhel

Red Hat, IBM, and Fedora

https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

Any opinions about it?

• #1874253 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I use Fedoras for many years, and it is one of best distros I know. RPM packages for installing almost makes you feel like you are using Windows 🙂 I think it has the poitential to became widely used LINUX OS, because it is very user friendly. Also, it looks astounding

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
        --- Thomas A. Edison

• #1874247 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Don’t forget CentOS.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: IBM and Red Hat

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.