News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iCloud for Windows Now in Microsoft Store

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Other platforms – for Windows wonks macOS for Windows wonks iCloud for Windows Now in Microsoft Store

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

Nathan Parker 1 day, 11 hours ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Source:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/11/apple-launches-new-icloud-for-windows-app/

iCloud for Windows has released an updated version of its app in the Microsoft Store. The latest version includes the Files on Demand feature similar to OneDrive (I believe Apple is utilizing the same technology for it). For Windows Wonks who need to sync iCloud between a Windows PC and either a Mac or iOS device, the updated app should offer some enhancements.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1838687 Reply

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks @Nathan Parker.

Do you know if this App behaves any differently from  iCloud for Windows that can be downloaded and installed from the Apple web site and kept updated via iTunes?

My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof (32-bit); Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2019 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

• #1839525 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks @Nathan Parker.

Do you know if this App behaves any differently from  iCloud for Windows that can be downloaded and installed from the Apple web site and kept updated via iTunes?

I believe one difference is the new sync on demand feature, so anyone who had the old version should likely migrate to the new version.

Btw, AskWoody isn’t letting me edit quotes at the moment and puts the entire quote into my response without editing.

Nathan Parker

• #1839954 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

Is iCloud on Windows 10 still hard coded to open in IE 11 if called from the systray?

I have 1803 but will have to upgrade to 1809 by October. I will then uninstall IE 11. If Apple doesn’t get their act together by then having iCloud sit in the systray will be irrelevant for many Windows 10 users who want IE 11 gone completely.

I have Fx 60 ESR but I have to open a tab on Fx to iCloud. Fx is not my default browser. Basilisk is default and I can’t access iCloud on it. I don’t touch anything from Google with a 100 foot pole so I would never download and access iCloud in Chrome browser. I will not use Edge in future versions of Windows 10 either as Microsoft has married it to Google. Apple needs to make iCloud available for a wider range of browsers used on Windows and they need to make it so accessing iCloud from the system tray opens Fx on the user’s computer not IE 11. Apple also needs to fix Find iPhone, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Find Friends all of which throw errors on Windows 1803 and are inaccessible from iCloud.com in Fx 60 ESR.

BTW, the version of iCloud that you are referring to REQUIRES Windows 10 1903. Nobody in their right mind would be using that version yet! It will likely be next year before I get that version. Assuming my group policy settings continue to hold, I will upgrade to 1809 in Oct when 1803 goes EOL and then to 1901 next year. You should have mentioned that 1903 is required for this version of iCloud for Windows.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 6 hours ago by
         Mele20.
    • #1840019 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

You should have mentioned that 1903 is required for this version of iCloud for Windows.

The OP is referring to an article posted on MacRumours. In that article there is no mention that 1903 is required. Instead, it refers to “according to a blog post shared by Microsoft).

The MS blog post doesn’t mention that 1903 is required either… but provides a link to the iCloud app in the Microsoft Store.

The app’s Store entry doesn’t specifically mention that 1903 is required. Instead, the System Requirements show that “Windows 10 version 18362.145 or higher” is the minimum requirement.

Forgetting for the moment that ‘18362.145’ is actually the build (and revision), *not* the version – how many people know that this info actually means version 1903? I had to look it up to check. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1840333 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

Forgetting for the moment that ‘18362.145’ is actually the build (and revision), *not* the version – how many people know that this info actually means version 1903? I had to look it up to check. 🙂

They don’t. I wasn’t sure myself. I had to look on this tab I always have open for when I am ready (when Woody gives the go ahead signal) to get the current cumulative update for 1803 via Microsoft Catalog. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4503286

Of course, most here and elsewhere don’t use a page like that so they would not know. Shame on Apple though for not making it clear and Microsoft for adding to the confusion. If you read the comments on the download page in Microsoft store you see rampant confusion and no wonder! It is only NOW that I know why, when I open iCloud.com on Fx 60 ESR, I get a message across the top of the page to download iCloud for Windows. That made no sense since I have the latest version of iCloud and iTunes for my version of Windows 10. That message is meant for those users who have Windows 10 version 1903 and not the rest of us.

• #1841834 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Actually, Store is telling me, that my bulid is not enough fot this app. It is written right there. And behold, he offers me to upgrade my Win to version 1903 immediatelly 🙂 upgrade via button in MS store? I wont click this. Not a chance…

Attachments:
    • #1840410 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Shame on Apple though for not making it clear and Microsoft for adding to the confusion.

I know what you mean but I wonder how much say Apple has in how its app is described in the Microsoft Store.

As it’s Microsoft’s Store, shouldn’t it be down to Microsoft to make it absolutely clear about what version is needed? Shouldn’t it be down to Microsoft to not confuse version with build? 🙂

I agree with you that the Store entry is confusing. For example, under Additional Info I clicked on the link for More:

this-app-can

What on earth does “This app can… Microsoft.classicAppCompat_8wekyb3d8bbwe” mean?

Why, if you click on the link for Permissions info, does it whisk you away from the Store completely, instead of opening in a new tab or window?

Why – if the app was apparently released 2 days ago (according to the Microsoft blog) – does the Store show the release date as 01/02/2019? 🙂

Attachments:
      3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1841832 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

What on earth does “This app can… Microsoft.classicAppCompat_8wekyb3d8bbwe” mean?

This is cute 🙂

I think you should get use to it. Do know some error codes like 0x00C00470? They appear nearly everywhere in win10 and nobody knows what does it mean exactly 😀
        This is what posted webpage shows to me, no matter what browser I use.

Attachments:
    • #1840900 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Wonder, will installing the iCloud store version uninstall the currently installed iCloud ?

• #1840957 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I open iCloud.com on Fx 60 ESR, I get a message across the top of the page to download iCloud for Windows. That made no sense since I have the latest version of iCloud and iTunes for my version of Windows 10

How can icloud.com “know” that you have iTunes, iCloud installed ? Apple doesn’t run telemetry on PCs. Maybe Apple prefer users using the iCloud app instead of a browser.
      The download link is from Apple servers not Microsoft Store.

• #1841512 Reply

Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

How can icloud.com “know” that you have iTunes, iCloud installed ? Apple doesn’t run telemetry on PCs. Maybe Apple prefer users using the iCloud app instead of a browser.

Apple collects telemetry for iCloud usage especially on PCs. It can be turned off but I allowed it because I want Apple to have good info on how iCloud works on Windows 10 so they can improve it.

iCloud can only be used via a browser. Except for photos. If you want the other iCloud applications you need to use a browser (and only some of the available applications you see at iCloud.com work if using iCloud for Windows 7 on Windows 10). If you right click on iCloud in the systray and choose “go to icloud.com” that opens icloud.com in IE 11….hard coded for IE only. It seems to be the ONLY way to locate your iPhone if lost as Find iPhone using icloud.com from any other browser throws an error and cannot be accessed. I have Fx60.6.3 ESR and Apple says it should work on Fx but doesn’t for me. Of course, I have iCloud for Windows 7 because iCloud for Windows 10 is ONLY for version 1903 and I am using 1803. It gives me the heebie jeebies to have to use IE 11 if I needed to locate my iPhone if lost or stolen. iCloud for Windows 10, I just read does NOT work with IE 11 but with Edge instead. However, this is ONLY if you run Windows 10 version 1903. Earlier versions of Windows 10 must use iCloud for Windows 7 along with iTunes and IE 11.

I tried a another, pristine profile on Fx 60 ESR and it worked fine at icloud.com Find My Phone app. My default Fx ESR profile originates from the original Fx ESR when Mozilla first offered an ESR version many years ago so it is sort of beat up by now and some things don’t work well on it ..probably some corruption but the default profile is highly tweaked and would be a lot of work to reproduce on a new, clean profile. I’m glad to know that if I switch to the pristine profile, if I need to find the iphone, then I can and I can avoid using IE 11.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 11 hours ago by
           Mele20.
    • #1841216 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

A few comments:

1. I don’t have an active Windows PC in my office, so I’m unable to test if the new iCloud app is hard-coded to IE11 or not. Work has moved our Windows PC’s to VM’s we RDP into on our company VPN, and they wouldn’t likely wanting us installing iCloud for Windows on those. I’m more of a Mac person, but when I see interesting Apple news that affects “Windows Wonks”, I post it.
      2. I was mainly relaying the MacRumors article. I also read two additional articles before posting it, none of them mentioned the version requirement. I’m also in the middle of an intensive Latin class at the moment, so my posts relaying Apple news are a little less extensive as I generally do (I’m mainly having to keep posts brief due to time constraints, but I still want to at least relay the news so you know it). In four more weeks I’ll be back to my regularly-scheduled routine and will have the time to go in more detail.
      3. My recommendation for those who qualify for the new version would be to uninstall the old version first, then install from the Microsoft Store for the cleanest path. It could still use the same backend code and updating, but starting clean on it doesn’t hurt.
      4. For those with feedback about iCloud for Windows, here’s where you can send the feedback directly to Apple. I use this often for submitting feedback to them for iCloud for Mac and iOS: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Nathan Parker

• #1841733 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

iCloud for Windows 10 is ONLY for version 1903

I use the Apple’s iCloud app on Windows 10 1809 and use Chrome for iCloud.com.
      No, Apple doesn’t spoof your PC when you browse to icloud.com.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 8 hours ago by
         Alex5723.
    • #1842519 Reply

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

I have downloaded the App from the Microsoft Store (I am using Windows 10 1903). I installed it over my existing iCloud for Windows installation and the process proceeded successfully without any hassles. I am still able to sync my calendar and contacts with Outlook 365 and access iCloud as before. (I did, of course, perform a full system backup beforehand, just in case!!)

The Microsoft Store specifies (amongst other things – see link below for full details) )that

“iCloud for Windows requires:
      • Outlook 2016 or later (for Mail, Contacts, Calendars)
      • Internet Explorer 11 or later, Firefox 57 or later, or Google Chrome 73 or later (for Bookmarks)”

Edge is (still) not compatible with iCloud

Click on “more” at the above link to get the full capabilities/features of the iCloud App

Clicking on “See System Requirements” at the above link will advise that you need  “Windows 10 version 18362.145 or higher” to utilise the App downloadable from the Microsoft Store.

My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof (32-bit); Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2019 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1843445 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I think you should get use to it. Do know some error codes like 0x00C00470? They appear nearly everywhere in win10 and nobody knows what does it mean exactly

When I see error codes and messages like this I am reminded why I gave up using a Windows PC and went back to a Mac full time. 🙂

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iCloud for Windows Now in Microsoft Store

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel