News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iCloud Messages and Changing File Associations

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS iCloud Messages and Changing File Associations

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I received two questions tonight, so I thought I’d whip up a quick AskWoody post on them in case others have the questions. Consider it a “Dear Appy” column:

From Tim: I need to sync my Messages between my iPhone and iPad over iCloud. What is the quickest way to do this?

Recent versions of iOS and iPadOS now include the ability to store and sync all messages over iCloud. This article covers how to do it. It’s a simple flip of a switch on all devices. That’ll ensure all of the messages from one’s iPhone will sync over to one’s iPad. It is also good to setup Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone to the iPad.

From OscarCP: I need a way to safely change the file extension on a file so it opens with TextEdit instead of the app it is defaulting to opening on.

There is a super-quick way to do this. Select one of the files, hit Command+I to open the Get Info pane, then under Open With, change the app to TextEdit (you may need to click Other and browse to it). Then select Change All. From then on, all files associated with that extension will open in TextEdit.

If you happen to download a file with the extension and need to open it in another app, then simply repeat Command+I to open the Get Info pane, then under Open With, change the app to the other app (you may need to click Other and browse to it). This time don’t select Change All. This will allow that one file to remain opening in the other app, while allowing the rest of your files to open in TextEdit.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iCloud Messages and Changing File Associations

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.