News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Icons on the Quick Access toolbar in Excel

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Icons on the Quick Access toolbar in Excel

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

If I want to get or add icons that can be used on the Quick Access toolbar in Excel, where do I find such, and/or what specs would I use to create them myself?

Chuck Billow

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

To add custom icons to those built-in to Excel is neither easy nor straightforward.

You could use Microsoft’s Custom UI Editor tool. You can read about it and download the tool from here.

Alternatively, you could use the Office RibbonX Editor, a more recent development of the Microsoft tool. You can read about it and download the tool from here.

Important: Neither tool is for the fainthearted. They were both created as XML tools for developers… but they can be used to help answer your question. The latter tool also explains a little bit about the Microsoft Office file formats (which these days are basically .zip files).

Be prepared for a potentially steep and difficult learning curve. As both tools were written for developers there’s an expectation that you are already fluent under the bonnet of Office… and the lack of documentation reflects that.

I’ve never used them but I know that they are used for the purpose of adding custom icons to the existing ones from Office 2007 onwards (I understand that even the latest Office still uses the Office 2010 UI schema).

This How to add custom macro buttons with custom icons to the Ribbon/QAT article gives more information about the actual process.

Hope this helps…

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

. . . to get or add icons that can be used on the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel where do I find such . . . .

Here’s an animation I created for someone else in another forum that may be useful to you.

To remove any icon/command in the QAT, r/click remove from QAT, or remove via the Customise QAT Options.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Icons on the Quick Access toolbar in Excel

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.