News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • In-place upgrade Win7x64 to Win10x32?

Posted on georgea Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 In-place upgrade Win7x64 to Win10x32?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a dedicated task old PC that is fine with Win7x64 (2 gb RAM) but crawls when I did an in-place upgrade to Win10x64.  I suspect it’d be ok with Win10x32, but I don’t want to do a fresh install – lots of config stuff to redo.  Is is possible to go from W7x64 to W10x32 with an upgrade install?  I have the bits.  I know you can’t change bitidness [bitness?] when staying in the same OS ver [eg, 7×32 to x64].  I saw one web thread that said you could go from W7x64 to W10x32 but not W7x32 to W10x64.  But many threads say you can’t other than a fresh install.  I could just try, but the machine in question is 200 miles away and I rely on the kindness of strangers when things go wrong.  I’d leave it on Win7 with Abbodi’s ESU bypass, but it’s in a commercial environment and they just want Win7 out of the building.  Thanks – George

• #2278448 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Is is possible to go from W7x64 to W10x32 with an upgrade install?

Nope, it’s a reinstall, but you should be able to do it and keep the data. It won’t fix the issue.
        You need at least 4GB of RAM to make it work reasonably, or revert to W7.

cheers, Paul

• #2278553 Reply
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Paul – thanks.  I did find an old w7x64 machine lying around here and of course had to try it.  Yup, can’t do it.  I do have a few machines running W10x32 with 2 mb, and altho not peppy are usable for dedicated task machines — running equipment, etc.  Last I checked, the RAM minimum for 32-bit W10 was 1 gb, so twice that isn’t horridly RAM starved.  64-bit W10 minimum is 2 gb, and that’s why I was hoping to move it off x64.

• #2278593 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Don’t believe everything Microsoft says. Minimum RAM for adequate use on Windows 10 is 8GB. 16GB is very much recommended.

• #2278596 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

that may be the case for x64(64bit) W10 but, when it comes to x86 (32bit), W10 runs quite comfortably with 3Gb of ram 🙂

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
            • #2278600 Reply
              Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

I don’t know what ‘quite comfortably’ mean.
              At startup with only Microsoft’s services and security apps (kaspersky, HitmanPro..) My Windows 10 1909 Pro x64 uses ~4-5GB RAM.
              Now, add a browser with a couple of tabs, office… and your SSD/HDD will go into write/read frenzy.

In my view Windows 10 32bit with its <4GB RAM (depends on GPU ) is not recommended.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
              • #2278605 Reply
                Microfix
                AskWoody MVP

well, due to the 3Gb ram limitation on x86 (32bit) systems, the OS can’t go any higher 🙂

• #2278606 Reply
                georgea
                AskWoody Lounger

FWIW, my humble little 2gb Win10-32 reports 1 gb memory free when running an automated camera app.  For that purpose, 2 gb is plenty.  64-bit is a different story.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              • #2278616 Reply
                Alex5723
                AskWoody Plus

I wasn’t referring to “Kiosk” Windows 10 PCs, but about day-to-day usage.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
          • #2278597 Reply
            georgea
            AskWoody Lounger

Oh gawd no.  M$ is not a reliable source for good info.  But I do run Win10x32 on 8-year old hardware with 2GB [and a SSD].  It’s not snappy, and I wouldn’t do it for anything other than running instruments, but it is very usable for that.   3 GB is enough for casual use, as long as it’s 32-bit Win.  64 bit does need at least 4 for casual use, more is better of course.  I’m re-purposing old hardware for specific purposes.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by georgea.
          • #2278797 Reply
            Susan Bradley
            AskWoody MVP

Ditto what he said.  I built a Windows 10 VM with 4 gigs of ram and it kept barfing on the OOBE wizard.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2278844 Reply
              georgea
              AskWoody Lounger

Absolutely agree. For any real work, 4 gb for Win10x64 is not a good idea.  As noted earlier, 8 is a minimum to stay out of trouble.  But I’m slumming here… dedicated machine only doing 1 thing.  Old re-purposed hardware can have a 2nd life doing that.  It’s my attempt to minimize E-waste.  Not everything requires a new PC.  I would wade into the pile of old PCs during my office building’s E-cycle day event, and pick out old systems for running equipment.  I have a dozen of them running in labs and camera sites.

• #2278853 Reply
                doriel
                AskWoody Lounger

I disagree, 4GB can be enough. I use only “office applications” – word, excel, videoconferencing SW, remote desktops, cmd :), visio, total commande, SAP, GIMP, surveillence cams,…. It works so nice wit 4 GB DDR3

I have opened like 15 apps simultainiously and no lags, no problems.

And to your question: it is not possible to downgrade from x64 to x86 without reinstalling.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2278851 Reply
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I still wonder why everybody asks abot RAM and do not mention what model and frequency they have. You can have 32 GB DDR2 and you will be disapointed with Windows 10 experience.
            I have 4GB DDR3 and SSD and I never had a single problem with Windows 10 performance. By my opinion SSD is crucial thing to have with Widows 10.

DDR3

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
      • #2278621 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

well, due to the 3Gb ram limitation on x86 (32bit) systems, the OS can’t go any higher 🙂

As Microsoft recommended, buy a new x64 PC to run Windows 10.

• #2278640 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

PS Microsoft should go Apple and Linux all in x64 only.

• #2278647 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

Microsoft are still supplying x86 (32bit) versions of their submersible flagship OS, as are various floating Linux distro’s 🙂

Please stay on topic: this thread is an enquiry about switching from x64 to x86

• #2278648 Reply
              georgea
              AskWoody Lounger

Yes, and the bottom line is that if RAM is limited, [eg, 4 gb or less], 32-bit Windows 10 will perform better than 64-bit.  That’s all there is, nothing more to say.

• #2278756 Reply
                EP
                AskWoody_MVP

what kind of old PC are you trying to install 32bit/x86 Win10 onto, georgea?

use HWInfo or Speccy to gather details about it and its hardware.

edit – need to know what kind of CPU that old computer of yours is using – apps like HWInfo, Speccy or even CPU-Z can provide that info

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by EP.
              • #2278768 Reply
                georgea
                AskWoody Lounger

Dell OptiPlex 740.   AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2000 Mhz. 2 GB RAM.

Old.  But it works fine for my dedicated app w/ Win7x64.

Takes HiRes pics looking out over Burlington VT to across Lake Champlain from the Old Mill Tower on the UVM campus.  https://hazecam.net/camsite.aspx?site=burlington

I can put Win10x86 on it but wanted to avoid a clean install and all the config that goes with that.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by georgea.
                2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: In-place upgrade Win7x64 to Win10x32?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.