News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Indexing..on or off?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Indexing..on or off?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  rhp52 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

rhp52
      AskWoody Plus

Over labor day weekend I assembled a new build, installed win 10 Pro and it went smoothly.

I’ve tried to keep up on win 10 before actually installing it, but reading about it and actually dealing with all the settings in new locations , well let’s just say it’s different. I see some things i”m not to fond of and others that i like. I’m still getting used to it and have a question about turning indexing off or leaving it on. I thought i’d read somewhere to turn indexing off.

Can someone set me which setting to choose and why?

Thanks – rob

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1949731 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

If you want/need to use Windows Search effectively you need indexing on. You should configure what gets indexed.

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1949730 Reply

anonymous

I prefer indexing on because I search for content often. Many prefer it off for performance.

Turn Off Indexing in Windows for Better Performance

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1949737 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

I know where my files are, don’t need or use search.
      I’ve switched indexing off on all my systems only due to the fact that the OSes are on SSD’s. Same goes for unecessary system logging.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1950392 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

It all really depends on how you’d use the system. For ease of use, the automatic search function can be very nice, but it does consume a noticeable amount of resources.

… then for advanced cases there’s the third and fourth option.

Option three is to make the system turn indexing on and off automatically, such as in a scheduled job or something.

Option four is to turn the default Windows search off and use an alternative searching/indexing tool…

• #1950582 Reply

rhp52
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks everyone for your suggestions…I now have the info i needed.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Indexing..on or off?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.