• Info on 1.5m people stolen from US bank in cyberattack

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » Info on 1.5m people stolen from US bank in cyberattack

Author
    Topic

Headquartered in Michigan, the bank and mortgage lender has more than 150 branches nationwide and home loan offices in 28 states.

The bank has offered affected customers identity theft protection services, and late last week mailed letters [PDF] notifying everyone who may have had their data stolen. “We have no evidence that any of the information has been misused,” the letter stated.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/21/flagstar_bank_breached_ssn/

——-

That last sentence has become boilerplate lately in letters of this type. It should read, “”We have no evidence that any of the information has been misused YET.”

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
    --
    "Sure I had a plan; Everybody's got a plan until you get hit in the teeth."

-A Very Famous Boxer

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Charmed, I’m sure. I’d business accounts there for a time.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

The shape of things to come … that are already here. And keep on getting worse.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV and Malwarebytes for Macs.

I initially found the title of this topic a bit confusing, because it made me think that the bank titled “US Bank”, headquartered in Minnesota, had been the subject of a breach.

Because US Bank has branches in my neck of the woods, along with several states in the western and central areas of the US, I read the initial post, and then found out that the breach was actually at Flagstar Bank, not US Bank.

However, that still doesn’t diminish in any way the impact this has had on those customers of Flagstar Bank who have been affected by this latest breach.

@nibbled-to-death-by-ducks
      , is it possible for you to edit the title of this subject so that others don’t wind up thinking the same thing I did just by glancing at the topic’s title and not bothering to read the ensuing posts or are you no longer able to do that? If not, then perhaps one of the Managers may be able to help.

I’d hate for a customer of US Bank to only read the subject line but not the ensuing post, and suddenly think that their bank had been breached when in fact (at least as of this writing) it has not.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Not that I’m aware of.  Edit times are short (15 minutes after post?) But I do see the conundrum. Which, when one reads further thankfully is clarified.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "Sure I had a plan; Everybody's got a plan until you get hit in the teeth."

-A Very Famous Boxer

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Info on 1.5m people stolen from US bank in cyberattack

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: