News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Installation Media not work on Laptop

Posted on daddybear Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Installation Media not work on Laptop

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

I have just followed the advice from Fred Langa in last week’s Woody Plus Newsletter to build an Installation Media for Windows 10 from the Windows Media Creation Tool and I did this on my desktop computer.

The procedure was successful but I have hit a problem when trying it out as a test on a restarted computer.

When plugged into my desktop computer the Recovery Environment is opened on a blue screen with three white boxes ( Continue;  Troubleshoot; Turn off PC) and, as a test, I have clicked through to access the System Restore points set up on the computer.  However when I try this on my laptop I get only two white boxes (Troubleshoot and Turn off PC ) on the blue screen and can not click through to access the System Restore points.

The attached images show this.

The laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad  E565  and both computers are running Windows 10 Home 64bit 1909 updated to August.

One strange thing with the laptop – “This PC “window shows main C: drive plus a Lenovo Q drive but the Q drive shows up as empty on its properties even though the graphic shows some content.

I am not very computer-literate and am now rather confused. Hope someone can help me.

Regards,

Roy.

Attachments:
      • #2296227 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Did you check to see it System Restore is turned ON and if there are any Restore Points available on the laptop?
        If System Restore is turned OFF (Win10 default at every update) or there are no Restore Points, you will not be offered that option.

• #2296231 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If you have created the installation media on USB/DVD, you can boot from that to perform the install, or you can run mount the ISO file (double click on it) and setup.exe from the new drive.

What installation media are you using?
        Do you still have the ISO on your hard disk?

cheers, Paul

• #2296327 Reply
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for replies.

PK Cano – Yes, system restore IS turned ON and there are several restore points available.

Paul T – Installation media created on USB flash drive 16GB.  Created from Windows Media Creation Tool from beginning to end following all instructions.  Took about 1 hour to do it.

–  No idea if I have the ISO, sorry.   How would I find out ?  I didn’t burn anything using a 3rd party burner though – it didn’t ask me to.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Roy.

• #2296328 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

The ISO file has “.ISO” as the file name extension.
          Look on the flash drive and see what there.
          If you see a single file with the name <something to do with Windows>.ISO that is the ISO.
          If you see files and folders with one of the files named setup.exe that is install media

• #2296448 Reply
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

Hello PK – can’t see anything resembling ISO when I open the flash drive.  I don’t think I selected the ISO option when I did the drive though – just let the Media Creation run.

Attached is a screenshot of the flash drive when I open it.

Attachments:
        • #2296450 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

What you have is install media. It is created by expanding the ISO (which is a compressed one-file package of the install media).

To do an in-place update, you would insert theUSB drive and double click on setup.exe (I see you can’t see file name extensions). The In place update can be anything from “save apps and data” to “save data only” to “save nothing.”

The other option, to do a clean install (wipe everything on the HDD/SSD), is done by booting the computer from the install media instead of the internal HDD/SSD.

• #2296462 Reply
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

PK – Thanks for the info.

I’m sorry, but I don’t think I explained my query properly in my original post.

I don’t particularly want to do in-place updates or re-install Windows – all I really want to be able to do is to boot up from the install media when the computer won’t start and then select System Restore to get to a previous point when the computer was working OK.

This is possible on my desktop computer but not on the laptop – see CIMG 009.jpg in original post – and I wonder why that is when I am booting up with the same install media on the same flash drive ?

Could it be something to do with that Lenovo  Q Recovery Drive ? – and if so what can I do about it ?

Regards,

Roy

• #2297734 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Does your laptop use AMD CPU ?
          I saw some posts where an Intel PC will boot from USB while AMD won’t.

• #2297738 Reply
            daddybear
            AskWoody Plus

Hello Alex  – Yes, the laptop uses AMD A-Series A8-8600P Quad-core 1.60 GHz but the desktop is Intel i5- 3470.

I can boot both from the USB recovery flash drives, but then can’t get to the System Restore points on the laptop.   See image  CIMG 009 in first post.

Regards,

Roy.

• #2297739 Reply
              Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

I haven’t seen a solution for the AMD boot bug.

• #2297750 Reply
                daddybear
                AskWoody Plus

Is there any way of checking/testing that there truly is a problem, or is it just anecdotal or even a suggestion put forward by someone ?

• #2297715 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

When you boot from the USB it will load Windows and you should be able to use it to recover from errors.

Alternatively, create an image backup of your laptop using a 3rd party backup app, create a backup recovery USB and then you can restore the laptop if it goes pear shaped. This has the advantage that you have a backup of your data as well.

cheers, Paul

• #2297735 Reply
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul – I already have Disk Backup and Recovery USBs made from the laptop but all I want to do is as explained in reply no. # 2296462 on Sept. 15th.

The thing that is really confusing me is that I can carry out that System Restore procedure on my desktop computer ( also Win 10 Home ) but not on the Lenovo laptop .

The only difference between the two is the presence of  a Recovery partition on the laptop  ( ? from the previous Win 7 OS before upgrade to Win 10 ? ) which is shown in image CIMG 0010 in my first post above.

Do you think that could be involved in some way ?

Regards,

Roy.

• #2297776 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

The recovery partition should not make a difference – it is there to allow easy reloading of the OS.

To get to the recovery console you would normally press F8 while the machine boots up. This may not work if you have Fast Start turned on.
          Alternatively, power shutdown the PC 3 time as it’s starting up (hold the power button down while the boot screen is shown.

cheers, Paul

• #2297751 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Is there any way of checking/testing that there truly is a problem, or is it just anecdotal or even a suggestion put forward by someone ?

I saw a post on Lenovo forum recognizing USB problem with AMD while Intel did not.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 10 hours ago by Alex5723.
      • #2297797 Reply
        daddybear
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Alex – I’ll have a search for that.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Installation Media not work on Laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.