News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Installing A Shared Printer Windows 7 + Windows 10 Pro 1809

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Installing A Shared Printer Windows 7 + Windows 10 Pro 1809

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

HP Pavilion Laptop Win 7, HP 15t Win 10 Pro 1809,and HP Photosmart All-in-One C410a Printer

I just spent the last 4 days trying to install the printer with a wireless connection on both laptops. My Win 7 laptop was originally connected to the printer via a wireless router because my internet connection was from a wireless USB device plugged directly into the computer. When I got the Win 10 laptop, I also got a multi-device hotspot to replace the USB device. After trying all means of configurations adding the printer via HP install download & Windows Add A Printer in Devices and Printers, I turned to Woody’s Windows for Dummies books- thanks, Woody! Both laptops were set up on Public networks and I learned that these do not share (or should I stay they should NOT share). I switched to Home/Win 7 and Private/Win 10 networks – still not working. In fact, the printer stopped working on the Win 7 laptop! Next I tried asking Google. I came across an article that said Win 10 had done away with Home Groups starting with a certain version (sorry the info is saved on my other laptop – I can post it if anyone needs specifics). So perhaps this Home/Private combo didn’t work either because of this.

I eventually went back to my original Win 7 setup.  I set up the printer on the wireless router network. When doing the install on Win7/10, I had to be certain to connect to the wireless router network when the HP installer got to the network connectivity check part of the install. Both OS can now use the same printer, but I have to switch from internet network (getting documents into queue) to router network (so printer can see documents in queue) when printing from something on the internet.

Is this MS making Win 7 even more difficult to continue using? I do have to give kudos to a MS Windows Advisor who was very helpful during the process.

Does anyone have any theories on why I could not accomplish the printer install on both OS the conventional way? I’d just be curious to know if I was missing something obvious…..Thanks!

• #1879375 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

How have you managed to get 2 wireless networks? All details please.
      Your network should be: ISP -> Router / hotspot -> all computers and printers.

cheers, Paul

• #1880073 Reply

anonymous

Perhaps my terminology is a bit confusing and incorrect. My Netgear hotspot device from my wireless provider is the network I receive my laptop internet access through. The Linksys  wireless router is just plugged in and the printer is setup to that – it’s own “network”, but no internet access. My computer sees these as 2 networks, so I switch between the 2 when I print directly from the internet. I could not get my printer to work in Win 10 when I set it up directly to the Netgear hotspot without the Linksys router. Troubleshooting indicated my computers were not communicating – thus the attempts at changing the type of network. I did go back and check – it was the April 2018 Update that got rid of HomeGroups in Windows 10.

• #1880122 Reply

jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

Login to the wifi router interface of the hotspot and see if there’s an option for wireless network isolation (or something similar). Disable this option. Connect printer to hotspot and see if your other devices can communicate with it.

• #1882273 Reply

anonymous

Thank you for this suggestion. I had wondered if there could be settings on the hotspot device that might need to be changed. Both of my laptops are back on Public wireless connection settings without printer sharing. Would this make a difference if I can change the hotspot settings?

• #1881525 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You only have one laptop connected to the internet?
      What model is the Netgear hotspot?

cheers, Paul

• #1882290 Reply

anonymous

Both of my laptops will connect to the internet – I just usually only use one at a time. I have a Netgear Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR 1100.

• #1883560 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

So your laptops are connected to the hotspot. Why isn’t your printer?
      Can you use the router as a wifi extender to allow the printer to connect to the hotspot?

cheers, Paul

• #1884118 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… no printer sharing means you don’t share out printers attached to the PC. That’s somewhat different from connecting to a networked printer.

If you get the printer to connect to the internet hotspot, that should make it then reachable by both laptops while still connected to the internet.

And then you get to the fun part – setting it up so that you can print today and tomorrow without redoing the configuration in between. That’ll depend on specifics. (Searching for printers isn’t considered safe when in “public” networks, some router/hotspot devices may give out a different IP each time by default when using DHCP…)

• #1886892 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

some router/hotspot devices may give out a different IP each time by default when using DHCP

Which is why I use the DNS name of the printer as the destination instead of the IP address.

cheers, Paul

• #1887718 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… yes, that works – as long as you have working name resolution in the internal LAN.

Some home routers do inside-LAN DNS by default, some need to have it turned on, some don’t have the feature at all, and then there’s the broadcast name resolution that may or may not work depending…

• #1888791 Reply

anonymous

I’m not sure how to use the route as a wifi extender. Also what does DNS stand for when you refer to the DNS name of the printer?

• #1890507 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

Also what does DNS stand for when you refer to the DNS name of the printer?

Same thing as usual, Domain Name System. As in, having a name that you can call the printer by, that then gets translated to the IP address.

The usual way would be that your home router acts as the DNS and DHCP server for your internal network, and when devices connect and ask for example “I’m printer0x5, do you have an IP address for me?”, it then gives an IP and also from then on also tells other DNS clients that the IP belongs to printer0x5.homelan (note the non-public top-level domain) or some such …

I find this a very nice feature on home routers. Too bad the local ISP’s bundled router doesn’t have it, and in case of line problems they want to test with the bundled router.

• #1888806 Reply

anonymous

I did first connect the printer to the hotspot successfully. I had to use the HP installer download to update drivers/software and install the printer because the printer is older and not originally compatible with Win 10. During the network connectivity part of the install, I was instructed to unblock several UDP/TCP ports – which I did. There was also a status comminication problem noted. The printer installed but would not print. I uninstalled and tried reinstalling with a direct USB connection between laptop & printer. Everything worked. I could not change from USB to wireless.

To: mn-   Thank you for the no printer sharing clarification.

I think I will leave everything set up as it is for now because it works. By posting this issue, I was hoping to find it was something obvious that I was overlooking. I am not familiar with changing hotspot settings – this will take a bit of research on my part.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Installing A Shared Printer Windows 7 + Windows 10 Pro 1809

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.