News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Installing a Win10 (dell) backup onto a new Lenovo

Posted on WSnaomi Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Installing a Win10 (dell) backup onto a new Lenovo

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        WSnaomi
        AskWoody Lounger

I did a full backup of my Dell Win 10 onto a Toshiba external drive.  I need to buy a new laptop – this one is dying as I type – can I restore the image onto a Lenovo, that has a one- year win 365?  I want my backup office version for eternity.

• #1999045 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I think we might need more information.

I want my backup office version for eternity.

Won’t promise eternity in any case. The new hardware isn’t going to last quite that long either.

There are MS Office versions that can be transferred to new hardware and there are versions that can’t. Determining what kind you have can be a bit of a problem if it’s 2013 or older if you don’t have your original paperwork.

See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_other-msoversion_other/copy-move-or-transfer-an-office-installation-to/956244a0-385d-4e21-a21e-87b4179111d1 for that part.

As to restoring the backup … well. That’ll depend on what kind of a backup it is and on other specifics regarding hardware, both the old and new units. Some combinations are likely to be at least very difficult, some fairly easy.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Installing a Win10 (dell) backup onto a new Lenovo

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.