News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Installing W10 over W8.1?

Posted on gsw1942 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches Installing W10 over W8.1?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

gsw1942
      AskWoody Plus

I have been struggling with Win8.1 for a month now (because I like it and don’t like W10 much) but I’ve made no progress and am seriously considering updating: this has just taken up far too much of my time.  The hub of my question is: can I simply install W10 on a W8.1 machine, or will I need to do some preparatory work.

To anticipate some questions and clear the air:

1.  Why? Because there is no way I can install any updates since 4 July – the Windows update seems to do everything, Downloading.., Installing… – but then says Failed. Meanwhile, the machine is less and less secure and is also slowing down noticeably, although the hardware, while not brand new, is recent and way more than sufficient for my needs.
      2. Yes, I’ve run the Windows update Troubleshooter several times, and it always lists all the problems as “Fixed”. With no result.
      3. Yes, I’ve found the Fix Windows Updates page on Windows Support and worked through their suggestions one by one, several times, but never reach the end because one or the other steps won’t work. I’m “not authorised” to rename the %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution or Catroot2 to .bak; I’ve tried to download KB34504418 but it’s “already installed”; DISM.exe  /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  ran for 24 hours until I killed it, never exceeding 40% progress; sfc/scannow (as usual) reported some errors could not be fixed; I’ve run chkdsk severl times with different switches; I’ve tried to Restore to a date when everything was working well, with no apparent result except the loss of a couple of non-Win apps that were easy to re-install.
      4. My C disk has 2 partitions: one is the normal C: for everything Windows, and the other is D: for data.  I’m saving the whole of D: onto a huge external drive, so I’m not afraid of losing data, just of having no way to access them.

Finally, hoping not to intrude too much on your patience, I’m running (and totally depending on) Outlook 2007. I’m perfectly happy with it, have a huge (and vitally important) PST archive, and I’m not interested in any of the bells and whistles on more recent versions.  Will W10  play nice with Outlook 2007?  Could I just copy the .pst files onto the external disk until the upgrade is done, and then copy them back into the Win10 architecture (where?), or will that not work?

Many thanks to anyone who has had the patience to read this novel and has any helpful advice.

• #1876973 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

To be able to help you, we will need some information.

the Windows update seems to do everything, Downloading.., Installing… – but then says Failed. Meanwhile, the machine is less and less secure and is also slowing down noticeably, although the hardware, while not brand new

Give us the specs on your machine – processor, RAM, video, etc.
      What AV/malware programs do you have installed and how are they used – running in the background or on-demand? How recently have you run them?
      What are the error codes when the updates fail?

If you have tried troubleshooting, and what you tried failed or did not complete, you cannot count that. For example, “not authorised” to rename” a file/folder is probably a matter of not performing the operation as Administrator or in an elevated command prompt.

My C disk has 2 partitions: one is the normal C: for everything Windows, and the other is D: for data. I’m saving the whole of D: onto a huge external drive, so I’m not afraid of losing data, just of having no way to access them.

Are you simply saving your data to the D: partition or have you actually moved the Windows default User folders. This may be of importance if you are contemplating upgrading to Win10.

Office 2007 should run on Win10 if it is updated. The .pst file is transferable – but transferring Outlook includes setting it up as well as transferring the .pst – do you know how to do this?

You seem to have data backed up, but also important, do you have a full disk image of your computer in case the upgrade doesn’t work?

And the ultimate question that has to be asked: What makes you think Win10 will be any easier?

• #1877243 Reply

gsw1942
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you PKCano for the detailed and helpful reply.

Sorry – should have specified: yes, all attempts run as Administrator.

System: ACER Aspire, Intel i5 CPU 64bit, 3GHz, RAM 6 GB, NVidea GEForce video card (no idea what model or how to find out, but I’m not a gamer so it’s perfectly adequate for me).

AV:  BitDefender free edition running permanently in background.

Error codes noted so far: 80073712, 800F0831, 80240021.  But I’ve already searched for these on Windows Support and carried out all advice found there.

I’ve saved the entire D:DATA partition to external drive H: with 2.7 TB, 965 GB still available.  That is all data saved in 5 folders: Jef (me); Marina (my wife, who rarely uses it); Martin (our son, who lives 2,000 km away and is thus not a “user” – it’s merely where we store docs that concern him); Shared docs; Photos. I’ve never bothered with Libraries, don’t use them, don’t understand them, but I see the system uses them anyway and that doesn’t bother me. At some point I see I must have added C:\Users\Jef\AppData\Local|Microsoft to the documents library. SafePSTBackup also backs up daily to H:

I normally use recimg monthly, but have not done so since April; forgot May and June, and when problems started in July I didn’t want to back up an imperfect system and preserve all its faults.

Yes, I’m confident I can set up Outlook again if I need to.

I don’t have a full disk image and don’t know how to create one. But if I do, it will contain all the errors I haven’t been able to fix, so I’d rather learn how to do that once the 8.1 system is working well again.

Finally, it’s not that I feel W10 will be any “better”; it’s just that I would be starting out with a totally clean, factory-fresh system with no errors accumulated over time. If there’s such a thing available still these days as a W8.1 CD, maybe I could simply overwrite the whole system? (Although that would presumably entail downloading and installing 50,264 updates…)

I may not be fast on replying over the next few days – probably hospital visit, can use a tablet but won’t have the PC handy for looking for answers.

• #1877890 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

use the Speccy app to gather the proper specs of your Acer Aspire computer as the hardware you have listed may not be accurate.

• #1877898 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Error codes noted so far: 80073712, 800F0831, 80240021. But I’ve already searched for these on Windows Support and carried out all advice found there.

What was the operation you were performing when you received each of those error codes.

I’ve saved the entire D:DATA partition to external drive H

The five folders you have on the D: partition appear to be User data. Did you:
      + Create new folders on the D; drive and copy the User’s data there?
      + Drag and drop the folders to the D: drive.
      OR
      + Right click on the folders under C:\Users and move the default folders to the D: drive?

I’m “not authorised” to rename the %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

Before you tried this had you set Windows Update to “Never check for updates,” stopped 3 Services: (“Windows Update,” “Background Intelligent Transfer Service,” “Cryptographic Service”) and either run File Explorer as Administrator of used an elevated command prompt to rename the C:]Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder?
      I do this all the time with no problem.

• #1881534 Reply

anonymous

To EP: I’ve saved my Speccy summary, but don’t see a way to attach an image.

• #1881539 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

Anons cannot add anything to their posts, sorry.

Try posting your results to https://pastebin.com/, and post the link generated when you click “Create New Paste” back here 🙂

• #1881542 Reply

gsw1942
      AskWoody Plus

PKCano: thanks again.

Error codes noted so far: 80073712, 800F0831, 80240021. But I’ve already searched for these on Windows Support and carried out all advice found there.

What was the operation you were performing when you received each of those error codes.
      Unfortunately, I didn’t record that.  Found themon my scratch-pad, but without context. I just know I followed the instructions faithfully (as Admin) as far as I could in each case.

I’ve saved the entire D:DATA partition to external drive H

The five folders you have on the D: partition appear to be User data. Did you:
      Create new folders on the D; drive and copy the User’s data there?
      + Drag and drop the folders to the D: drive.
      OR
      + Right click on the folders under C:\Users and move the default folders to the D: drive?
      Yes, I created new folders on the D: DATA drive, but didn’t move any User data there. From the very start I set as default to save dox etc. but not system files direct to D:. I have never used User Data files like C:\Users\Username\Documents or similar. Obviously I didn’t play with where Outlook saves PST files, for example, but let Outlook do whatever made it feel comfortable.

This however raises a separate point: when I went to look in C:\Users\Username, most sub-folders (like e.g. Documents) were empty except for Desktop and Downloads. But the folders used by Outlook (…\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office … etc.) were not there, or at least were not visible. Yet Outlook is still working fine.  That’s a whole other can of worms to look at later.

I’m “not authorised” to rename the %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

Before you tried this had you set Windows Update to “Never check for updates,” stopped 3 Services: (“Windows Update,” “Background Intelligent Transfer Service,” “Cryptographic Service”) and either run File Explorer as Administrator of used an elevated command prompt to rename the C:]Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder?
      I do this all the time with no problem.
      Yes – I followed all the instructions religiously, and logged in as Admin.

I’ll now be in hospital for a few days; can read and correspond, but I won’t have the PC with me to look  up anything that needs answering.

Edit: HTML removal – Please use the ‘Text’ tab in the post entry box when you copy/paste

• #1881676 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You still haven’t answered my question about the folders on the D: drive.
        And being logged in as Admin is not the same as executing a command as Administrator (in elevated mode).

• #1882013 Reply

gsw1942
      AskWoody Plus

Oh cripes!  I have been executing commands mostly as Admin (in elevated mode) for a lot of the time, logging in as Admin only when I knew I was going to be spending a lot of time there. I had absolutely no idea there was any difference.

I apologise for possibly wasting a lot of your time, but I was sincerely sure I’d done everything right.

Once I’m back home, I’ll go over it all again, logged in as Admin. Meanwhile I’ve just saved this whole thread, because there’s a lot of stuff there I wast to keep.

I won’t return to this thread (except to read) until I’ve gone over the whole mess again, this time logged in as Admin. Many thanks for your guidance up to now.

• #1882018 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Even if your ID is an Admin ID, you still aren’t THE ADMINISTRATOR. Your ID has limited privileges (more than a Standard User, but NOT elevated privileges). To execute as Administrator (elevated) you have to right-click on the .exe and “Run as Administrator.”

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Installing W10 over W8.1?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.