News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Installing Windows 10 on an old Windows 7 IE11 computer

Posted on spetho2001 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Installing Windows 10 on an old Windows 7 IE11 computer

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by

JohnW 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

spetho2001
      AskWoody Lounger

Can anyone tell me if this is the forum where a discussion about installing Windows 10 on an older Windows 7 IE11 computer can be found. There must be something going on this subject. I have a great desktop (which I had built) that I love with Windows 7 IE11 on it. I am getting worried about installing Windows 10 on it. I don’t like the whole deal. It seems that my computer is not up to date with the latest hardware (Hard driveHitachi 7K500-320 HTS725032A9A360 320GB 2.5″ 320GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM , Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20 Ghz, 2.0 GB RAM, Intel DG33FB Desktop mother board. It looks like Intel does not even make nor support the motherboards anymore? I looked at an new ad for it’s computers and it looked like a good combination is Windows 10 Pro 8 GB RAM 1 TB Hard Drive Core i5 Any comments or discussions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to keep my computer even if I have to have some changes made? Thank you, TomS

Edit to remove HTML Please use the “Test” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.
      Content may not appear as User intended.

• #855678 Trash | Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

2GB RAM will be extremely slow with Win10, unless you can increase it to at least 4GB, preferably 8GB. You don’t specify if it’s 32-bit or 64-bit architecture.
      You will probably have a hard time finding the drivers for the hardware.

I would recommend keeping Win7 on the machine, keep it updated with updates through EOL, then consider whether you are willing to run without updates (which many are planning to do), purchase a new machine with Win10, or move to a different OS.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1039366 Trash | Reply

spetho2001
        AskWoody Lounger

64 Bit.  I would rather spend the money once and replace the hardware on my computer so that it will run well with Windows 10. What hardware do you think I need to replace. If I bought a new computer, I would want to have it built like I did with this one. This has worked well with me. I really don’t want a store bought unit like DELL. I have not called a tech support number in the last 7 years and I would like to keep it that way. That being said what hardware do you feel I need to upgrade? It looks like the Hard Drive, Mother Board, CPU  RAM?

How do you run the UPGRADE ASSISTANT without installing Windows 10?

I have a DESK TOP and not a lap top so why would I want a SSD?

Thank you, TomS

• #1039911 Trash | Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Unless you plan to do the upgrading yourself, I would talk to whoever built that one for you. It would be very hard to recommend hardware on:

If I bought a new computer, I would want to have it built like I did with this one

You need someone to recommend the hardware that fits your case and the parts that are compatible with each other.

• #1040381 Trash | Reply

JohnW
          AskWoody Plus

Since you already built the computer you have, then you should be all ready to do it again. 🙂

(I assume the phrase you used “I had built” meant you did it yourself, rather than had it built by a custom shop)

The most conservative thing to do would be to start over with a new case, power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and a new disk drive (SSD recommended).

Just like buying a new computer, but you get to pick out all of the components. And yes Intel seems to have stopped making Intel-branded motherboards. I have had good luck with Asus, but there are a few others like Gigabyte and ASMedia that are popular.

Leave your original PC running side by side until you have the new build running stable, and you are happy with it. That also makes it convenient to transfer files and data over to the new one, and gradually migrate your workflow. Removes the terror of flipping a switch and hoping it all goes well the first time!

Here is a helpful system builder website, where you can start with the CPU selection that you want and it will help you match compatible components, and source and price all of your parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

SSD prices have gotten so low these days that it would make no sense to install your system on an HDD any more. The performance benefit of SSD is like night and day over a conventional HDD. The system will boot Windows in seconds, and programs will launch in a blink. You can always re-purpose an older HDD as a secondary internal drive to store data or backups on.

• #857193 Reply

anonymous

I run a Win10 Home x64 test machine on a Core2 Duo processor and 2GB RAM with a Samsung EVO SSD.  It works perfectly well although the foibles of Win10 drive me nuts!

For that reason, I agree with PKCano that it might be better to stay with Win7.  Have you considered fitting an SSD?  In typing that, I recognise that you might have to check that your motherboard supports AHCI.

• #864011 Trash | Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Even though the machine may still be performing well, it may be time to replace it. According to Fred Langa: “A 5-year-old hard drive is probably near the end of its safe service life. I wouldn’t recommend reusing it for anything essential or irreplaceable.” (https://langa.com/index.php/2019/04/05/a-reader-asks-should-i-replace-my-5yr-old-hard-drive-with-a-smaller-ssd-and-keep-it-as-external-storage-or-buy-a-cheaper-and-bigger-hard-drive).

If you want to try to upgrade it to Win10, you should add at least 2GB of RAM. The processor may not have all the features to upgrade to Win10. You need to do some homework on getting the upgrade assistant to run without actually installing Win10.

I’ve used PCs & drives for longer than 5 years on many different machines. BUT, I had daily image backups of those systems available in case of emergency.

Were it me, I’d be actively lookoing to replace the system. I’d have no fear of a well put together Windows 10 system.

--Joe

• #866390 Trash | Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

I would say that 4GB RAM is the absolute minimum for Win 10.

You would be much better off with 8GB, if you like to have several programs open at the same time, or keep many tabs open in your browser.

Also, an SSD seems to be a much better option for performance under Win 10. I have a laptop that came with Win 8.1, and then I upgraded it to Win 10. It has a slow 5400rpm HDD. It ran fine with Win 8.1, but is very sluggish with Win 10. It runs the disk at 100% utilization for several minutes after boot while autoruns, updates, and scheduled tasks execute their routines, until everything finally settles down.

Even after everything settles, the disk it still seems a bit sluggish when launching programs.

It seems that Win 10 uses a bit larger RAM footprint right from the start, and there are a lot of background tasks that occupy the disk.

So yep, more RAM and a faster disk will make it a better experience.

Microsoft is now recommending that the way to have the best experience with Win 10 is to buy a new PC with Win 10 pre-installed.

• #870436 Trash | Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

According to the specs, it will hold 8 GB of ram max. and the SATA ports are SATA II which would limit your speed in this day and age but it would work.

https://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/prodspec/dg33fb-tps.pdf

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #871476 Trash | Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I wouldn’t worry too much about SATA II being limited with an SSD.

That’s all I have on my desktop motherboard, and it flies with an SSD now, when compared with the old 7200rpm HDD I was running as the system drive.

• #871958 Trash | Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Actually I’m not worried, and it would be better than what he has, just pointing it out. 🙂

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
          4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #886131 Trash | Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

SATA II isn’t a problem, the connectors are compatible.

RAM upgrades are more likely to have availability issues, DDR2 is getting a bit uncommon in the supply chain.

• #888763 Trash | Reply

mbhelwig
      AskWoody Lounger

I have win 10 ver 1809 on my old computer. I use it as a test machine only as I plan on staying with win 7 on my main computer, for as long as possible. The only thing I have changed is, I put a SSD in place of the old hard drive. It has 4 Gb of DDR2 ram and runs fine.

An SSD is the best thing you can do for a computer with a little age. It lifts the speed no end. I put a 1 tb SSD in my wife’s Dell laptop a few months ago and improved its speed greatly.

With the state of M$ updates and the problems with Win 10 in general, I have not updated any of my win 7 computers beyond December 2017.

One thing you can do with win 10 is totally uninstall Internet explorer 11 and disable Edge, and then install Firefox.

Me — I plan on staying with win 7 as long as possible and looking in the direction of linux Mint, while watching win 10 to see if by some miracle M$ gets their act together.

mbhelwig

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Installing Windows 10 on an old Windows 7 IE11 computer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.