News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Insulting response to extortion e-mail?

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Insulting response to extortion e-mail?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t ever respond to any spam, spoofed NDN, scams or phishing. The past year or so I didn’t get any sextortion e-mail, but today I received a new one, in French, spoofed and allegedly sent from one of my secondary e-mail addresses to my main address.

Of course the new sextortion e-mail is again nothing more than pure bluff and I used to just ignore and delete those. But this time I would like to somehow goad the scammer into a helpless choking rage with some infuriatingly insulting innuendo.

I am thinking of paying c€ 1 (€ 0.01) to the criminal’s bitcoin account, along with a suggestion to go “se faire cuire un oeuf“, but insulting infinitely worse.

Only … can I do this safely or is it really risky?

Fred
        AskWoody Plus

PLEASE, do NOT transfer anything.
        Just play dead!!
        Really ❗

~
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Pericoloso, It is unlikely that it will make much difference here whether you ignore or goad, but I think it is better, out of an excess of prudence, to just delete the sextortion email, without any further action. At the very least, by goading, you’ll be acknowledging receipt, and that bit of information might be used by whoever sent you the offending email to find a way to do to you something more unpleasant and better avoided. Perhaps you could  also use a filter set up  to eliminate automatically messages with some words in the text likely to be used in those emails (that seem to be) coming from your secondary address.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

2 users thanked author for this post.
          E Pericoloso Sporgersi
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you, Oscar.

That is well reasoned and clear advice.

I was expecting such a reply, but it is nice to have my initial inclination confirmed.

The offending e-mail is ignored and wiped.

(Is yours an example of the principle of Oscar’s Razor ?)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The offending e-mail is ignored and wiped.

Wasn’t the e-mail automatically marked as spam by your e-mail app / service ?

Fred
        AskWoody Plus

It is unlikely that it will make much difference here whether you ignore or goad

I am sorry  E-Pericoloso-Sporgersi :
        This is just not correct, and it cannot be argued or denied with a lot of texts or whatever that any answer and/or transferring 1RUB or anything else gives reasons for the villain to bite into your cridentials. Try to find out the source code of your digital tracks on the Internet, that explains it.

~
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Fred, commenting on the opening statement in my reply to Pericoloso: “This is just not correct, and it cannot be argued or denied with a lot of texts or whatever

I would not be too sure about that. Be that as it may, I wrote my reply that way, because:

(a) To calm down Pericoloso, in case he needed any calming down (I’m going with “he” here). For all we know, the perpetrator is just some disgruntled ex-girlfriend that has nothing better to do but needle him with this kind of nonsense. Could it also be something much worse? Of course, but banal mundane explanations certainly exist.

(b) My actual advice following that opening statement, as to what to do, was what I would do. In fact I would do that even if I got emails asking for my help from desperate single mothers with 10 children each, all allegedly mine. In real life, I do it everyday with all those offers of helping me recover a fortune I misplaced somewhere that the kind writer has found and proposes to share with me, or the one encouraging me to just ask and they’ll let me know how to pay a lot less in taxes. And then is Chris the Psychic. I’m not sure what he wants, what his scam is, but has become a continuing uninvited visitor to my Junk folder in Mail, the Mac email client, along with those just described and several others. In fact, some of the unasked for messages are mere spam, such as the unfailing three emails a day from the insurance company GEICO. On a normal day, I get an average of 15 such mails, from different senders, some of them repeated more than once. Plus two or three that show up in my Inbox and I send to Junk, unread, as soon as I find them there. This is relatively new: a few months ago I would get maybe just two or three unwanted emails a day, mostly spam.

Then I get rid of everything junked so far that day by clicking on “Erase Junk Mail” [contents].

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Insulting response to extortion e-mail?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.