• Intego Internet security top a/v at Mac Life

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Apple » Apple operating systems » macOS » Intego Internet security top a/v at Mac Life

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

INTEGO INTERNET SECURITY X9 | Mac|Life Spring 2022 | Pocketmags.com

In the spring edition of Mac Life magazine they review several a/v products and the top winner is Intego Internet Security

Article isn’t freely available online, but you can get the gist from the headline.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I have been using Intego since last summer, together with Malwarebytes. Although the AV works in real time, just in case I run both manually at the end of the day, before shutting down the Mac. Besides Intego’s real-time AV, called “Virus Barrier”, there is the “NetBarrier” “intelligent firewall” that, besides keeping out incoming bad stuff, tells me which application is talking with someone out there, in the WWW.

The AV does not run in the “Cloud” but in my Mac, but even so it does its job very quickly.

I am quite happy with this and the AV. There is also a third Intego application called “Washing Machine” (the three are bought as one package), that automatically empty caches and other places where useless debris accumulate. I was really surprised and also worried when, the first time I used it, this “cleaner” deleted a good part of 1 GB of stuff. Things seemed to be running normally after that, but I had never seen such a thing before using Webroot’s software, which I had been doing for nearly a decade. Asking around people familiar with Intego, I was reassured that this was not unusual when using Washing Machine and there was nothing to worry about: One reason for this could be that junk, these days, where the high monitor screens resolution makes possible to display finer-grained images, and therefore to use bigger jpg, gif, etc. files, such files can get picked up on the Web and, as garbage, it then accumulates at a sometimes amazing pace. Other “cleaners” are not as effective, that’s all.

So I had been using for several years, both in the Win 7 PC and in the Mac, Webroot “SecureAnywhere”, with much the same components as the Intego package, but when I switched to being all-Mac all-the time and then, last year, I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur, the Webroot software started causing kernel panics: the kernel, when a fatal error is detected, shutting down and restarting the Mac with a message that the Mac has been restarted “because of a problem.” The term is borrowed from the Linux people; after all, macOS, when run directly from the command line, is a lot like Linux, as both are derived from Unix and have much in common.
      So when others confirmed to me that this was a Webroot problem and added that the Webroot developers were aware of it but had done nothing for months to correct it, someone whose expertise I trust recommended using Intego, I tried it out for free, liked it, then installed the paid version — and here I am.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Intego Internet security top a/v at Mac Life

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: