News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Intel lied when comparing Core i9-12900K SKU vs Ryzen 9 5950X

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » PC hardware » Intel lied when comparing Core i9-12900K SKU vs Ryzen 9 5950X

Author
    Topic

Intel used Windows 11 pro without AMD L3 cache updates.

https://www.neowin.net/news/charlie-demerjian-intel-used-unoptimized-windows-11-build-to-downplay-amd-performance/

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Using the word “lie” is a bit harsh – maybe “deceptive” is more suitable.

What I think happened is that MS worked with Intel to optimize the Windows scheduler in Windows 11 for the new Intel “k” hybrid CPUs being released next week. In doing so, performance (latency) of AMD CPUs was affected. AMD and Microsoft worked together to provide fixes for this (AMD chipset drivers, MS patches).

We’ll have to wait for benchmarks numbers from reviewers once the Intel embargo is lifted. I do expect Intel to beat AMD in ST performance and match and/or exceed some MT benchmarks.

Even if this is true, it doesn’t equate to Intel being “better”. Other metrics, such as performance per watt, also need to be considered. Intel isn’t even in the running here.

Keep in mind, that AMD CPUs are a year old. In February, some of the desktop SKUs will be upgraded with new caching tech that is expected to give ~15% performance boost. This may put AMD close to the new Intel CPUs in some benchmarks.

Other than that, we’ll have to wait for Zen 4 next fall which will support DDR5 and PCIe 5.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Using the word “lie” is a bit harsh – maybe “deceptive” is more suitable.

Telling millions of people that Intel’s CPU is 30% faster than AMD’s CPU in games a blunt lie. No way around it.

Well, yeah, Intel is notorious for misleading people (lack of context) in these types of announcements. In all fairness to AMD, Intel should have waited until MS/AMD had Win 11 patches in place before releasing any marketing benchmarks.

Most people wait until the embargo is lifted and reviewers can release (real as opposed to marketing) benchmarks. I wouldn’t be overly concerned – competition is a good thing and I’m saying this while typing on an AMD 3800X build.

Look at it this way, AMD is doing a product refresh of it’s 2020 desktop CPUs in February which will still be PCIe 4. AMD is on a 3 year product cycle (current desktop SKUs are based on 2019 tech – AM4). Their new product line, Zen 4, isn’t going to be released until Q4 2022 (possibly late Q3).

Intel beat AMD out the door with their new CPUs. There’s some interesting features (XMP3, PCIe 5, hybrid approach), so I give credit where credit is due. This will also push AMD to lower prices on existing CPUs – a good thing.

the things businesses aspire to in order to sell their warez..could mention a few others although would probably get trashed and upset the local rose-tinted-spectacle wearers with ostrich syndrome

| Quality over Quantity |
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Intel lied when comparing Core i9-12900K SKU vs Ryzen 9 5950X

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.