News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Intel RST it is disabled

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Intel RST it is disabled

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

I noticed the Intel RST icon is not running on my system tray.  The service is disabled

I had not noticed it was like that previously.  There were a couple of Intel drivers installed recently and I don’t know if that changed something.  I have a Dell latitude E5470, Intel core I7-6820HQ,

Should I just try to restart it? I don’t know what it is Or what it does or if I need it, I am assuming it was running before because I would’ve noticed the icon in the system tray.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Intel RST is a disk system that sets up a small SSD as a cache for a large HDD.
        Unless that is your setup, do not turn it on / install it.

cheers, Paul

dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Solid state drive vs hard disk drive?

I don’t understand!  How do I know if I have/need that?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Open the computer and look for disk drives. How many do you have? What models?

cheers, Paul

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t understand!  How do I know if I have/need that?

Since you have a Dell Latitude, all you need to do is collect the service tag number from the bottom of the case, and then visit Dell’s support web site.

When you enter your service tag it should be able to show you the exact options your computer was built with, assuming it is still running factory components.

“Quick links > View Product Specs > Original Configuration”

Good luck! I am currently a happy Dell Latitude user. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by JohnW.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It is not SSD vs HDD but SSD (usually 16/32GB) + HDD.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

I rarely install IRST software. Problem with Dell is their image is used for multiple configs so you can often get things that you don’t really need.

dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks everyone.  This is what is on my laptop, still don’t understand, do I need RST?

1TB (5.400 Rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
          HDD/SSD Bracket 7MM,E5470

anonymous

No you may not need it. Rapid Storage Technology is also supposed to optimize performance for disks and lower power consumption (the disk drive will do this by itself), also manage Optane (non volatile cache) or Raid (various method of synchronization of data with like drives).

Do you use any of these features?

dmt_3904
              AskWoody Plus

I am not using Raid or Optane, at least not that I know of!  I have not seen any performance problems since RST has stopped running – so I guess it’s ok.   I see it in Control panel, should I uninstall it?

anonymous

Yes, the Intel RST service is not running now and you have no issues.

(One of the Windows updates could have been an update for IRST.)

(Like JohnW stated you should be able to download the software just in case.)

dmt_3904
              AskWoody Plus

Actually, I think I am going to just update the driver. I read up on it more and I think my system does need it, though it’s not critical. It stopped working on 4/17. I had an issue and support reloaded windows – so now it seems some drivers are out of date. I will have to check all of them.  But now I know more about what this is, thanks!

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Dell have a tendency to set up the controller as RAID, even though you are never going to use it. This will require the RST driver.

Check the BIOS to see what disk mode is selected, but don’t change it unless you have a known good image backup.

cheers, Paul

dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

thanks I’ll check it out just to see what I do have.  I installed the driver yesterday and all is working fine.  I am sure RST has been working from the get-go – I just had not noticed it until the icon showed not working in my system tray. I don’t mess with or know about RAID, Optane, the BIOS (though I do update it), partitions, etc. any of the higher level tech stuff – it’s working as it has been from the start, so it’s ok.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Intel RST it is disabled

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.