News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Internet connection fails

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Internet connection fails

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve got a friend whose internet connection has failed.

She is connected via ethernet, and the status for that on the tray icon says it is connected but no internet.

She is also connected to her wifi, and it says Limited.

She has a mobile hotspot and it shows Limited too.

Her Netflix app works on the tv, so I know the wifi is working.

All the lights on her Comcast modem are lit.

I have to troubleshoot this over the phone since I can’t log in remotely.

She has rebooted twice.

any ideas where to start?

Thanks

• #2210359 Reply
        Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

All the lights on her Comcast modem are lit.

Unplug the power line to the modem for 10~ minutes. This will reboot the modem and is the first thing Comcast will tell you to do if you call tech help. Easiest first thing to try.

hth

• #2210372 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, did that, also called Comcast and they rebooted it from their end.

Thanks

• #2210376 Reply
          Bluetrix
          AskWoody MVP

Yes, did that, also called Comcast and they rebooted it from their end.

Okay, next step is to troubleshoot the internet connection. In search window (on desktop) type Troubleshoot

You will see options for settings, click on that and a window like the attached should appear. Use the Find n Fix internet connections.

Pay no attention to the red words in my screenshot, I do not share with Microsoft.troubleshoot

Attachments:
      • #2210395 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

When I did that, it gave a message that the Diagnostic Policy Service was not running. Since I was troubleshooting over the phone, I decided that our time would be better spent on other tasks, since I wasn’t sure what to do with that, other than try to direct her how to go to Services.msc and try starting it. But we were running out of time for tonight.

I wanted to confirm for sure that the modem and wifi were working, so I had her dig out her old (wifi only) iPad, and that connected just fine. So now I know that I need to focus on the computer.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Vincenzo.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2210428 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

To eliminate the modem as the problem, you can connect the computer directly to the modem with Ethernet. If you have connection, then the modem is OK.

If the router is separate from the modem, the sequence I usually follow is:
        + Disconnect power from modem and router, shut down computer.
        + Wait several minutes.
        + Power up the modem and wait until all lights are stable. Sometimes takes several minutes.
        + Power up router and wait until all lights are stable. Sometimes takes several minutes.
        + Finally power up computer and wait for it to complete startup.

• #2210519 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

The modem and router are unit here.

But I’ve confirmed modem/router is not the issue, since 3 other devices work fine on that same modem.

I’m not sure how to go about troubleshooting the computer problem. Both the ethernet and wifi are showing as connected, but with no internet.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Vincenzo.
      • #2210532 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Did you check Control Panel>Programs & Features> Turn Windows Features on/off to see if SMBv1 is checked?

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2210533 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

No. I will be on the phone with her in about 2 hours, I will have her check it.

Thanks

• #2211402 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

No. I will be on the phone with her in about 2 hours, I will have her check it.

Did you find a resolution to the problem?

• #2211485 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

THanks for checking back.

In addition to the internet not working, we find out a whole slew of other things are not working:
        System Protection will not open
        Task Manager will not open
        Carbonite not running
        Runtime C++ error, and more failures.

Troubleshooting was difficult over the phone.
        We let it sit for about an hour while I was researching ideas, and when I came back everything was working like it should, for no apparent reason.
        It continues to work but my friend does not trust it and needs it to be reliable.
        So we ordered a new computer to be delivered next week.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2211544 Reply
        Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

It continues to work but my friend does not trust it and needs it to be reliable. So we ordered a new computer to be delivered next week.

Well. That should solve it! 😉

Finance, social and tech founder. My new, planet-wide talk show, Casual Saints, is being readied for an April/May 2020 debut.

• #2211553 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It continues to work but my friend does not trust it and needs it to be reliable.
        So we ordered a new computer to be delivered next week.

Buying a new computer due to Windows OS problems ? Why not just fully backup the PC and clean install Windows ?
        It is easier, faster and doesn’t cost a dime.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2211602 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

She is 1000 miles away, working over the phone not easy when no internet connection.

And her computer is old, she wants a new one anyway, with SSD, faster processor, more storage.

• #2211618 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

she wants a new one anyway

That should be the clue, LOL

Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Internet connection fails

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.