Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • internet explorer issue after patching

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 internet explorer issue after patching

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 day, 21 hours ago.

• Author

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello All,
      I did the september patches kb4457144 and kb4457918 on october 7th and since than when i click my internet explorer icon to go online i get a popup…

“ie has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”

Everything was fine with my computer up to this point. Can someone on the forum offer any fix for this as it is happening several times every day since patching. I am running windows 7 Home Premium with ie 11. I want to uninstall the patches or do a system restore but than i will not be up to date with patching Please Help.
      Thank You
      mrj2k

• #223395 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, I installed kb4457918 and have had no problems, with IE or anything else. But, being in Group B, I don’t install the roll-ups. Instead, I installed kb4463376 (cumulative security patch for IE), and have had no issues with IE since so doing. You could try uninstalling kb4457144 and seeing if the problem disappears; if it does, installing kb4463376 will bring your IE security up-to-date, if nothing else. Then, wait and see what happens after you install November’s roll-up – that will bring the rest of your protection up-to-date again anyway. It’s either that, or live with the popups!

• #223602 Reply

anonymous

Surfing Pensioner. Why are you going from September rollup to November rollup and skipping October rollup?

• #223623 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
          AskWoody Lounger

Roll-ups are cumulative – skip one, you’ll automatically be brought up to date when you install the following month’s. Of course, being in Group B, I myself don’t install any roll-ups.

• #223626 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

mrj2k,

I would first make sure that this is a problem that repeats itself several times in a short time before deciding the problem is a bad patch.

Internet Explorer used to crash often before its present (IE 11) version and, in my own experience, IE 11 still does that, but very rarely, these days.

Same as The Surfing Pensioner, I do patching the Group B way, so if you do it the Group A way and find out, as I am recommending you do, that your problem is truly caused by having installed the Rollup, then I would advise doing the same thing that TSP has already explained.

• #223630 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

I was hoping it would resolve on it’s own but again today got the popup for the 3rd day since patching. I tried clicking the ie gear (tools) icon than internet options and under Browser history clicked delete to purge the cache like i read others on google over the years with this same issue tried but like all of them it did not work. Some also suggest in the advanced tab of internet options to click “reset” to reset internet explorer settings back to their default settings? Did not want to do this cause i will never remember how i had everything set. Not sure what i will do but was still hoping someone here has or had this issue and solved it as i can’t be the only one with this issue after september patching? CAN I??
      mrj2k

• #223926 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Hello @mrj2k,
        Relatively few people here install patches as soon as they are issued. We have just installed September patches and changed Windows Update to Never Check before October patches were issued. The ones who do the ‘beta testing’, have the experience to restore their computers should a problem occur. The rest of us wait- that way we minimize the problems that are encountered. While I appreciate that you have reported this problem, if you do not intend to be a ‘beta tester’ you should read up on the DEFCON system and how to follow it. That way, you, too, can avoid problems. Woody notes the reports of bugs, whether from beta testers here, or elsewhere, and fixes, and such and gives us instructions when he does change the DEFCON rating. Since very few of us have installed October patches, preferring to wait until the bugs are discovered by others, I am not surprised that no one else has had a similar experience. Also, I’m thinking there are number of people that do not use IE11, choosing alternate browsers, and thus may not notice if there is a bug that effects it. If there is a vulnerability that requires immediate patching, Woody will announce that, too… so don’t worry about rolling back to the September patches.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #224403 Reply

anonymous

MRJ2K, Sorry you didn’t have WOT since that would had been an easy fix.

People mentioned the reset in IE. That is a good idea, and I do understand your worry. Let me tell you there are 2 levels of the IE reset at the bottom of the Advanced Tab in Internet Options. When you click the reset button it will open up to another screen with a place to put a check. Do not put the check in the first time. Doing the lesser of the resets worked for me. It reset the add-ons to disabled and turned back on the “accelerators” that IE has and I do not care about, so I disable them again.

If you want, try the lesser of the resets. It does tell you what it is going to do before you proceed.

See site. https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-internet-explorer-settings/

Otherwise I hope someone has an answer that does it for you.

• #223684 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello All, I did the september patches kb4457144 and kb4457918 on october 7th and since than when i click my internet explorer icon to go online i get a popup… “ie has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available” Everything was fine with my computer up to this point. Can someone on the forum offer any fix for this as it is happening several times every day since patching. I am running windows 7 Home Premium with ie 11. I want to uninstall the patches or do a system restore but than i will not be up to date with patching Please Help. Thank You mrj2k

Hello mrj2k,

We are at Defcon 1. I am Group B, and I have not installed any of the September or October updates. I also am not worried that I have not yet installed any of the September or October updates. Given that we are at Defcon 1, you seriously should not worry about not having any of the September or October patches installed, unless you are not using any good third party antivirus software. Windows Defender or Security Essentials? Choke choke, cough cough.

I suggest first uninstalling kb4457918 (the .NET update), reboot, and see if your issue is resolved. If not, then uninstall kb4457144 (the OS rollup), reboot, and then see if your issue is resolved.

If your IE issue is now resolved, please disable IE Protected Mode and then re-install kb4457144 (the OS rollup), reboot, and verify that you are not encountering your issue.

If all is good in terms of the above paragraph, then install kb4457918 (the .NET update), reboot, and check whether or not your issue has reappeared, or is gone. If your issue reappeared, then uninstall kb4457918 (the .NET update), reboot, and consider kb4457918 to be flawed.

The upshot is to never install Windows operating system updates (the monthly rollups) and the .NET updates at the same time. Why? Because doing so makes it very problematic in terms of determining which updates actually caused any issues. I always do the OS updates first, and test the installed OS updates for several days to look for issues. If I don’t encounter any issues, then I install the .NET updates. In truth, I am somewhat lackadaisical about installing any .NET updates since I prefer to wait and see what issues with any .NET updates are eventually reported.

At the end of all of this, do remember to re-enable IE’s Protected Mode. Note that IE’s Protected Mode, when enabled, has caused issues in the past when installing Windows Updates. And note that there is no way that Microsoft is going to test every possible plugin or control which either you or your antivirus program may have installed into IE.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #223931 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

@mrj2k – I’m Win 7 pro SP1 64 bit group B patched through September updates. IE11 functions as it did before patching.

Do you get the pop up on only certain websites? I get a similar pop up on one site I frequent (a common news website) but only on that site and even then only occasionally. I get a tab that asks if I want to recover the web page and 99 % of the time, when I do that the page loads and everything is fine. It’s a bit annoying but it only happens on one site and everything else on IE 11 works fine so I just live with it. I blame the particular website. Also, it’s been doing this for a few months, but not as a result of patching (first happened about 2 weeks after a patch in either July or August.)

• #223950 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Hmm… stumbled upon this- Microsoft Edge and other Microsoft Store apps might not connect to the Internet after installing the Windows 10 October 2018 update.

It acknowledges reports of the problem and there are possible fixes you could do.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #223960 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, just wanted to address some people here who posted a response to my issue…
      Thank you to EVERYONE who offered help. To (GoneToPlaid) thank you so much for going into depth on what i can try as it means alot. Next, To (Elly) – I did not install patches when they were first issued. The september patches came out on 9-11-18 and i never installed them until 10-7-18 almost one month later. I ALWAYS wait and keep up on woody’s msdefcon ratings every month and also what Susan Bradley says on her master patch list and others like pkcano. when i saw woody rated sept. patches a 3 and susan said “no issues” is when i patched. I think it was oct.8 or 9 when woody changed the defcon to a 1. I read on this forum of some who asked if the 1 rating was for windows 7 patches or windows 10 and people answered saying windows 7 was fine to patch and that the 1 rating was for windows 10 and a few said it was woody’s rating for the new october patches. To (DrBonzo) This pop up happens when i click on my internet explorer icon on my desktop to sign online so i don’t even get to try and go to a website as it won’t sign on to my homepage to start. Again a big thanks to all for offering any and all help and if i solve it i will post. Maybe if we get the go ahead in weeks from now to install october patches maybe it will fix it for me or maybe turn my computer into a pumpkin LoL.
      Sincerely
      mrj2k

• #223962 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi jrj2k,

You are most welcome!

The October rollup is supposed to fix issues with the September rollup. Yet given the state of affairs and for the time being, I do suggest that you uninstall the September stuff which you installed, and see if that resolves your IE issues. I for one am not touching either the September or October stuff until I either have the time to vet them (after first doing a backup of the OS partition on my test computer), or others give the all clear.

The upshot is that I am in no rush to encounter headaches on any of my Win7 production computers. I have waited a few months before installing updates on many occasions, and I don’t sweat the delay at all.

Note that Elly mentions issues in Win10 with Edge and Internet connections. It is possible that similar buggy code made it into the Win7 updates in terms of IE.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #223970 Reply

mrj2k
          AskWoody Lounger

This question is for GoneToPlaid,
          I started looking into my steps for uninstalling the two patches but in the windows update page i clicked on the bottom left “installed updates” and the list came up but the net framework kb4457918 is NOT in the list only the windows 7 security rollup kb4457144 is listed. Do you have any suggestions on how i can uninstall the net framework patch not listed? Should i do a system restore point like the one that was created automatically before the patches installed?
          Thank you GoneToPlaid
          mrj2k

• #223963 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Elly Thanks for doing some digging for me but as i stated in my original post i am running windows 7 not 10 and it speaks of the october 2018 updates. I did the 3 september patches for windows 7 (kb4457144 win.7 security rollup) and (kb4457918 net framework security rollup) and (kb890830 WMSRT) but thanks just the same for trying.
      mrj2k

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #223966 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Yes GoneToPlaid i just read and responded to Elly’s post to me. But not running windows 10 with edge i don’t want to start messing around with things when as you know computers and operating systems can be very temperamental so i am leaning in the direction you suggested to uninstall the patches and see if problem solved than wait and see like yourself.
      Thanks
      mrj2k

• #223974 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

This question is for GoneToPlaid, I started looking into my steps for uninstalling the two patches but in the windows update page i clicked on the bottom left “installed updates” and the list came up but the net framework kb4457918 is NOT in the list only the windows 7 security rollup kb4457144 is listed. Do you have any suggestions on how i can uninstall the net framework patch not listed? Should i do a system restore point like the one that was created automatically before the patches installed? Thank you GoneToPlaid mrj2k

Go to Control Panel, double-click on Programs and Features, and then click on “View installed updates” which will be towards the upper left in the window. Then copy and paste kb4457918 into the search box which is at the upper right in the window, and wait for the search progress bar to show whether or not it was found. It should be found. Once found, highlight it and then uninstall it.

• #223983 Reply

anonymous

@mrj2k I just encounter the same problem today with Internet Explorer in Windows 7.   Sometimes this issue can be due to incompatible addons. In my case disabling addons, closing and restarting IE fixed the problem. The following website describes how to disable addons.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17447/windows-internet-explorer-11-manage-add-ons

Hope this helps, Regards

• #224023 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello  GoneToPlaid  I followed your instructions below to the letter…

Go to Control Panel, double-click on Programs and Features, and then click on “View installed updates” which will be towards the upper left in the window. Then copy and paste kb4457918 into the search box which is at the upper right in the window, and wait for the search progress bar to show whether or not it was found. It should be found.

**It did NOT find the net framework  kb4457918. I installed it for sure on 10-7-18 along with the windows 7 security rollup kb4457144 and the WMSRT kb890830 ? Funny thing is all 3 patches are showing in my “update History” list as installed successful?  I did find the win. 7 security rollup kb4457144 in  “View installed updates” so it looks as though i can uninstall that one but not the net framework and i figure the WMSRT patch is no big deal in this matter. Any ideas on how to play seek and find for the net framework patch?

Take Care

mrj2k

• #224137 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi mrj2k,

I forgot that the .NET rollups actually consist of several KBs, one or more of which get installed on your computer depending on what versions of .NET are installed. The September .NET rollup consists of the following files:

msipatchregfix-amd64.exe — Microsoft .NET Framework Registration Correction Tool

ndp45-kb4457038-x64.exe — Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 7 SP1, Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Server 2008 SP2 x64 (KB4457038)

ndp46-kb4457035-x64.exe — Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64

windows6.1-kb4019990-x64.msu — Update for the d3dcompiler_47.dll component on Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

windows6.1-kb4457044-x64.msu — Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1 for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB4457044)

Do not uninstall kb4019990 since the d3dcompiler_47.dll must be installed before installing any .NET rollups.

Search for the following and uninstall them if found:

kb4457035
        kb4457038
        kb4457044

If prompted to reboot when uninstalling these, you can cancel the reboot requests and reboot after you searched for and uninstalled any or all of these updates.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #224360 Reply

anonymous

MRJ2K, do you have Web of Trust or a similar “web rating system” in your IE?

The September updates broke my IE11 and it was fixed by disabling Web of Trust (WOT) in “manage add-ons”.

See: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/ms-defcon-1-if-you-didnt-get-the-september-updates-installed-fuhgeddaboutit/#post-222639

• #224396 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello everyone and sorry for the delay in updating on my ie pop up issue. Things came up that needed tending to but my ie pop up issue is still occuring but is now somewhat sporadic.
      I will click to go online and the pop up happens, I may come back to my computer say 30-60 minutes later and click to go online and all is fine. This happens all day as i have myself and 2 other people using this computer throughout the day.
      To answer the anonymous poster, I thank you for the input. I looked in my “manage add-ons” and do not have anything saying “Web of Trust” (WOT) to disable. Not that i even have a clue as to what that is but thanks just the same and happy it fixed you up.
      I decided to wait a bit longer before taking any action like GoneToPlaid helped me with and hope that maybe it goes from sporadic to not at all??

Thanks All
      mrj2k

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #224629 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello all,
      It has been one week now since doing the september patches kb4457144 and kb4457918 for windows 7 and my above post about the ie pop up is still an issue. I click on my ie icon on my desktop and instead of it signing online i get the pop up. so my questions to the forum are…

Should i try Doing a RESTORE POINT (the one microsoft created before installing the patches) to get me back to a pre patch state that maybe fixes it OR…

Just Uninstall the windows 7 security rollup patch kb4457144 and hope problem is solved OR…

Do NOTHING and if woody gives the go ahead to install the october patches later this month that maybe it will fix my issue?

I am looking for the easiest/painless way to get a fix and move on from this.

Thanks a bunch everyone
      mrj2k

• #224632 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I have two suggestions. You are using IE11, right?

Do you have tabs at the top in a separate row. If you right click on the top of IE, you should get a pulldown menu that lets you “show tabs on a separate row.” If that is checked, try unchecking it then using the browser for a while.

If that didn’t help, put it back like it was if you changed it.
        There was a hotfix for IE KB4463376 32-bit or 64-bit released on 9/14. You might try installing it. If it doesn’t help, it won’t hurt anything. Click on the link that matches your computer’s bitedness, save the file to your desktop, close any open programs, then double click on it. Give permission to install, and reboot afterward if asked.

Let me know if either of those things help.

• #224698 Reply

mrj2k
          AskWoody Lounger

Hello pkcano thanks for the reply,
          Yes i am using ie 11.
          I checked your first suggestion and already have “show tabs on a separate row.” UNCHECKED.
          Your second suggestion of installing hotfix KB4463376 for IE, I see you and others here talking about that patch and if i understand your posts you say that this hotfix patch will be INCLUDED in the october windows 7 security rollup patch?
          If that is the case than maybe i can hold off for the ms-defcon green light from woody this month and just get this patch that way. Please let me know if i am misunderstanding you?
          Plus i read that this patch is for Internet Explorer performance decreases when you use roaming profiles or do not use the Microsoft compatibility list. For me ie sporadically will than won’t connect me online since doing the sept. patches on 10-7-18 and that is my only issue.
          mrj2k

• #224714 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

No problem with waiting, as long as you can put up with the problems.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: internet explorer issue after patching

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.