News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Internet of Things – reset your “C by GE” lightbulb

Home Forums AskWoody blog Internet of Things – reset your “C by GE” lightbulb

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by

rc primak 5 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=157&v=1BB6wj6RyKo And people wonder why I don’t have any “smart” stuff in the house. Except for my vac
      [See the full post at: Internet of Things – reset your “C by GE” lightbulb]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1871173 Reply

280park
      AskWoody Lounger

This must be a joke.

• #1871182 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I was wary of that, too, but the YouTube page seems completely legit….

• #1871411 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Lounger

FWIW, the video – or one very similar to it – made the CNBC website a couple weeks ago in a story written by Todd Haselton, one of their tech writers. So it’s probably legit, i.e., not a joke.

• #1871180 Reply

Sparky
      AskWoody Lounger

I watched the video for 15 seconds and then shut off the video.
      I’d rather stick needles in my eyes.

HP W7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit, AMD Phenom II, Group A

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1871203 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

And… they couldn’t use the same reset process for the newer firmware bulbs… but have a different on/off seconds pattern for them… and so, if you don’t replace all your bulbs, you might have some that reset one way, and some another way…

Hate to see what they come up with by the third generation!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1871210 Reply

anonymous

I’d like to go into a GE lightbulb store for 30 seconds, then go to this particular lightbulb for 5 seconds, squint at the clerk and ask whose the more stupid person, you for selling these or me for buying for 15 seconds, then go outside and wonder if the world will ever shift back to normal again for at least 666 seconds.

• #1871226 Reply

The quote, “Further comment would only spoil the supreme idiocy of this moment,” holds well here, but I can’t resist.

Back in Older Times in the Internet of Trash, these morning terminal messages were considered a joke:

“You have 15 pairs of clean underwear left, but only three pairs of socks.”

“Your bank called, and it’s not good.”

“You need to buy more cheese.”

“The cat has clawed your drapes. Get it neutered.”

“Your deodorant is low. Restock it.”

…but after wandering through a mall with a WiFi scanner and finding TWO SmartFridges’ (Samsung and LG) totally open to the Net and no security on them at all….

This is how the world ends; not with a bang, but being too stupid to know when to say NO, even though the other monkey next door just got one, and we can’t let him best us, can we?

Remember: it’s not about what YOU want, it’s about what they want you to want.

Good read:

Cheap Internet of Things gadgets betray you even after you toss them in the trash

Inernet-of-Socks

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

Attachments:
    • #1871254 Reply

RDRguy
      AskWoody Lounger

Well it’s quite obvious to what’s going on here … GE’s “C” Smart Lightbulb Firmware Development Department is staffed by seasoned ex-Microsoft Windows 10 Update Development Team managers & programmers … new firmware every 6 months … they’re already up to version 2.8 …

Once novice consumers get totally dependent on this technology, they’ll have no other recourse but to just buy more when they can’t be factory reset to get them working right.

Then what do you do with all the old non-resettable bulbs & what’ll happen to all that “personal data” still being stored 🤔

Umm, maybe I could start a 3rd party 💡 reprogramming/repair 🧰 service 👍👍👍

Win8.1 Group B (Pro) [x64]
      Win7 Group B (Ultimate & Pro) [x64 & x86]
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2010 SP2 (x86 Perpetual)
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2013 SP1 (x64 Perpetual)
      RDRguy

• #1871457 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody_MVP

This reminds me of what I just had happen for the second time this month to my Comcast DVR services. The reset patterns are all over the place and complicated, as in this video. Then the problem turns out to be a bad feed from a local network TV affiliate. Or maybe CBS is deliberately trying to drive Comcast customers to the paid CBS All Access streaming App. Which is conveniently not available for free to Comcast customers — but is available to almost all other customers of almost all other ISPs in the country for free. Oh well, my favorite CBS shows are generally available the next afternoon as On Demand streaming shows through Comcast. (There’s also the Nuclear Option of using pirate sites, but we won’t discuss that here.)

About Smart Home IoT devices and their general lack of security, think about getting one of these:

https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/boxv2-sem-opt/?pid=BOXV2-SEM&cid=ppc%7cbox%7cGoogle%7cProduct

Sure, it’s pricey, and it has an annual subscription fee. But how much is your privacy and safety worth? (Remember, your Ring Doorbell and August Smart Lock are also tied to your home network’s IoT sub-net. You do use a sub-net for IoT devices, don’t you!)

-- rc primak

• #1871553 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

I have a stupid phone, stupid lights, and stupid vacuum sweeper. I guess that makes me smart.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      7 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1871555 Reply

anonymous

I am about to bin a DAB radio that is terminally brain-dead (refuses to rescan, refuses to reset, refuses to switch to FM). Isn’t progess wonderful!

• #1871562 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

Of all my gear, the most reliable ‘real smart’ device I own, is a wristwatch from Mrs Microfix. (she knows best) 😛
        I don’t need to connect online to tell the time nor do I find myself a slave to a charger, log in to anything, security is my own and I’m in control. Change the battery every two years or so, simplicity is wonderful!
        Lots of good things to be said for older tech (or is this just a wind-up) pun intended..

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1871645 Reply

gkarasik
      AskWoody Lounger

Random thoughts while watching this video:

It’s no wonder GE is flirting with bankruptcy.
      Wait–my bulb has firmware?
      Whoever designed this procedure has never lived with a 2-year-old.

My new motorcycle came with a fob instead of an ignition key. I’m still trying to figure out what question the fob answers that the ignition key doesn’t. Not all who wander are lost, and not all new technology is an improvement.

GaryK

• #1871671 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

My best piece of  non technology is my  Rolex watch.  It’s mechanical so it doesn’t need batteries and as an investment I bought it years ago when gold was  $250 an oz.  Downside  is it only tells time.  Oh! wait a minute that’s what a watch is for.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by
         Geo.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by
         Geo.
    • #1872356 Reply

anonymous

Wow.   Glad I saw this.    I can now add GE lightbulbs to my “Things to never, ever, buy. Nope, don’t even want them for free” list, tucked in behind thrift store sushi and just ahead of dollar store pregnancy tests.

Here’s my “must-have” feature set for a lightbulb:

1: When I apply power to the lamp or fixture, the bulb emits light.

2: When I remove power from the lamp or fixture, the bulb no longer emits light.

Anything else, and the lightbulb is removed from service and replaced with one that has this feature set.

As electronic techs, we used to joke that engineers would enhance things beyond usability.  This is clearly a case where it’s no longer a joke.

• #1874101 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

How many AskWoody _MVPs does it take to change a lightbulb?

By the way, it’s getting harder and harder to find basic halogen light bulbs in the store. WalMart no longer stocks them. Kind of makes me wonder why. Usually a store will stock what sells and will not stock what doesn’t sell. I find it hard to believe that no one is buying halogen light bulbs.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #1874124 Reply

anonymous

Kind of makes me wonder why. Usually a store will stock what sells and will not stock what doesn’t sell.

Walmart has been doing weird things with products lately, especially certain Great Value branded items being higher than other usually more expensive equivalent products.

There is a push for everybody to use LED bulbs and those appear to be selling in higher quantities than other bulbs. Dedicated hardware stores are still selling halogen bulbs.

• #1874143 Reply

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

There is a push for everybody to use LED bulbs

Who is doing the pushing? At the risk of ranting, I wonder if some bureaucrat somewhere, buried deep in the bureaucracy, has written a regulation mandating the phasing out of halogen bulbs.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
          • #1874213 Reply

willygirl
            AskWoody Plus

There is a push for everybody to use LED bulbs

Who is doing the pushing? At the risk of ranting, I wonder if some bureaucrat somewhere, buried deep in the bureaucracy, has written a regulation mandating the phasing out of halogen bulbs.

Former California Gov Jerry Brown initiated the move to phase out halogen/incandescent lighting. LED lights take center stage now here in California. Governor Gavin Newsom is following in Brown’s footsteps where certain policies are concerned – energy efficient lighting is on that list. It makes sense to me. In March 2013, then Lt Gov Newsom attended the LED lighting ceremony of the Bay Bridge. https://www.ledsmagazine.com/smart-lighting-iot/white-point-tuning/article/16697075/philips-leds-convert-bay-bridge-to-light-sculpture

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit; Office 2010; GrpA, when all is said, done and fixed, Mac OSX to help me sleep at night.

• #1875167 Reply

rc primak
              AskWoody_MVP

For things like lighting bridges and buildings, LEDs are very efficient and usually last a long time with little maintenance.

But when they fail, they fail completely, often without warning. My current home town of Waltham, MA replaced traffic lights with LEDs earlier this year. Most are bright and easier to see at dusk and dawn than the old incandescent ones. But at one intersection, the left turn arrow is already flickering and probably on the verge of failure. This may prove dangerous shortly.

There are also complaints that LED street lighting, which is very directional, makes glare into people’s homes and apartments more of a problem. The lights can be redirected, but that only shifts the glare from one home to another. This was less of a problem with the older types of street lighting. And again, when LED street lights fail they give no warning — no dimming, no flickering. they just suddenly go out. There’s a safety issue there.

-- rc primak

• #1874232 Reply

anonymous

There is a complex mix of groups and legal actions going in to these decisions, this does have something to do with The Department of Energy by mandate of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.

There exists a plan to extend the energy conservation program to other type of bulbs in 2020, but that may be changed. See: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/02/f59/withdrawal-of-gsl-definition-nopr.pdf

According to the that document from The Department of Energy sales of halogen bulbs have decreased but you should be able to buy them from a store which chooses to offer them for sale. There is no shortage of folks that will sell halogen type bulbs online.

Walmart itself may have changed their preference by corporate policy, which bulbs to sell by the statistics derived from customer preference towards light emitting diode bulbs, or some other reasons for not stocking halogen bulbs.

Moderator Edited:

• #1874109 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

By the way, it’s getting harder and harder to find basic halogen light bulbs in the store. WalMart no longer stocks them. Kind of makes me wonder why. Usually a store will stock what sells and will not stock what doesn’t sell. I find it hard to believe that no one is buying halogen light bulbs.

LED bulbs are just so cheap and bright these days, there’s just little reason to go old-school with halogen.

• #1874111 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

Still using (pricey when bought) Phillips/Osram LED bulbs and have been since around 2013 , small wattage, good luminescence, long lifetime and cheaper electric bills. no brainer!

• #1874211 Reply

anonymous

Microfix sounds like you got some good ones. We’ve had bad luck even with name brand LEDs. When LEDs first came out they were to have a 100,000 hour life. People bought them and after a year or two failed. They screamed. Ohh, we meant a 50,000 hour life. OK, people bought LEDs ($18) and they failed. The screamed again. Ohh we meant 25,000 hour life. Hummm. We have some 25,000 hour life LED bulbs and we shall see.

Our luck with LED bulbs has been recorded in days (westinghouse). I’m very disappointed. We have incandescents made in an old european eastern block nation, were installed in the early 1990’s are used every day, and are still burning. We have GE outdoor ornamental heavy duty bulbs that are still burning (2 out of 4) were installed in 1980’s used most nights.

Be advised that in california consumers got mad at poor quality LEDs and rules were passed to help. Title 20 and Title 24 JA8 forces quality to be instilled in the LED bulb.

This is needed and I would like to see a 25,000 and 50,000 hour forced life expectancy rules.

• #1874284 Reply

Microfix
            Da Boss

I fitted/swapped out our whole house with LED bulbs, lamps, fridge, cookerhood, downlighters etc..I went on an OCD mission at the time to nuke the candescant’s as they were being phased out. Price paid was savings after a couple of years relative to electric used..still continued
            sod’s law they start failing now that I’ve posted..

• #1874548 Reply

anonymous

Microfix Hi! I know many people did that and I feel they were tricked into it from the lighting industry. These LEDs should have a very long life but I and others here are seeing them fail either from their drivers or the module or the solder joints. VERY disappointed.

New laws or regulations are being enacted to FORCE the LED manufacturers to make a good bulb.

CEC Title 20 and Titel 24 JA8 of california.

L70 “The lifetime of a LED module is defined as the time it takes until its light output, or lumen maintenance, reaches 70% of the initial output. This is also called L70.”
              “The standards are IEC 62717 LED-modules for general lighting – Performance requirements and IEC 62722-2-1 Particular requirements for LED luminaires.”

You actually changed the bulb in your refrigerator? Is the door open that much?

Ohh Sorry to hear one has failed for you.

EDITED unspammed, link removed

• #1874297 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

LED bulbs are just so cheap and bright these days, there’s just little reason to go old-school with halogen.

That is just plain wrong.
        While I did not know that Walmart is not stocking Halogen (just bought a couple of t3s this year) since the mandate to eliminate 100W+(ie 150 Watts) incandescent bulbs halogens have been the only pop-in replacement if one does not want to buy a house full of new lamps. Just think where except for accent lights does a 60 W bulb give sufficient illumination to do anything but not bump into furniture. Just try sticking an A21 led bulb into the sockets around your house. I for one would love an A19 size 150 Watt led bulb, I would RUN to the store to replace my old bulbs when they blew. I would even pay extra to get dimmable ones where required. For the tech now (silicon I think) the Leds put out too much heat to be put in the smaller A19 form factor.

Maybe next year.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by
           wavy. Reason: clarity 150 W
        • #1874304 Reply

jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

You must have very few lights in your home to need 150 watts (2250 lumens?) worth of illumination in a conventional bulb design.

• #1874299 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

I fitted/swapped out our whole house with LED bulbs, lamps, fridge, cookerhood, downlighters etc..I went on an OCD mission at the time to nuke the candescant’s as they were being phased out. Price paid was savings after a couple of years relative to electric used..still continued
      sod’s law they start failing now that I’ve posted..

I also would love to do that but for me it is just not possible at present. Don’t think I am a LED hater, 12 years ago I spent $900 for under the cabinet led lighting strips. A lot of money for me.

As for reliability. I had to return one strip under warranty, one problem. A few years later I had a connection problem at the power input to the units. I managed to get hold of an engineer at the company who kindly sent me small crimp-on connectors (wish I had asked the Manufacturer and part number ). They too seem to be failing, I may need to open up the units to connect directly. I would try to repair what I think is a failed internal inter connect that has left one 6 ” bank dead for a few years , hopefully enough of something inside that is NOT surface mounted to connect to.
      PS
      I still love my LEDs. The company I bought them from was bought by GE and that division abandoned that market segment to concentrate on industrial high lighting.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1874641 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

You must have very few lights in your home to need 150 watts (2250 lumens?) worth of illumination in a conventional bulb design.

Townhouse style w/ 1 window in living room two jalousie doors. Certain places call for more light , bathroom, kitchen…

🍻

• #1875168 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody_MVP

Can you imagine a typical City Public Works worker in the field, trying to reset an automatic street light?

-- rc primak

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Internet of Things – reset your “C by GE” lightbulb

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.