News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iOS 13.1.3 update

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS iOS 13.1.3 update

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 weeks ago.

• Author

pkoryn
      AskWoody Plus

I just got a new 11 iphone 2 weeks ago.  Upon initial setup, I upgraded the iOS to 13.1.2 (which was the latest at that point in time).  Now version 13.1.3 is available but I’ve read some not very good reports about it.  What is your opinion – do the update or hold steady at 13.1.2?

Also – just got my elderly Mother a new iphone (she still had a 5S which was working fine but hey, it was time, you know?).  That is still on a version of 12 something (can’t remember exactly what it is) and again, I’ve read that if you’re on 12 to wait and not update to 13 until 13.2 becomes available.  Any thoughts on that advice or should I go ahead and update it to 13.1.3?

• #1986166 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

See AKB2000014 – Nathan Parker keeps the information updated.
      He also does Weekly Reports and Topic on Apple products in the MacOS and iOS Forums.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1986562 Reply

pkoryn
        AskWoody Plus

PKCano – I was hoping that Nathan Parker would see and respond to my post – which is why I posted it here.  Did I post in the wrong spot?

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1986576 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

No, you’re good. Nathan is on in the evening (server time). Sometimes he has a lot of time to spend, other times not so much. Keep checking.

• #1986429 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody_MVP

I got it. I don’t think it is necessarily worse than 13.1.2, if you are lucky. My guess is it will not add new bugs if you didn’t have them in the first place, but it won’t necessarily fix some of the most annoying bugs for those who suffer from it, like the dropped calls, so if you are already on 13.1.2, I would upgrade.

It fixed the need to manually check for new mail for us.

It still has plenty of issues with Mail like having to delete an email two times to see it gone, some emails not downloaded completely so not shown right… I don’t know who they put in charge of the Mail app, but they need to do much better quality control.

Nathan, did you see the following tips for the Mail app?

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/22-new-features-ios-13s-mail-app-help-you-master-art-email-0206374/

I like to be able to use two fingers on the left of the list of emails to quickly go into selection mode. I also love to be able to slide the finger to select much more quickly than before.

The preview with options to reply or do something else with an email that appears when you press and hold the finger on an email in the email list is nice, too.

• #1986566 Reply

pkoryn
        AskWoody Plus

Alex – Thanks for the link you included to the gadgethacks site.  Great info there and I have signed up to receive their weekly email.  Appreciate you rresponse regarding your good outcome with the upgrade to 13.1.2.  I guess I’ll bite the bullet and give it a try!

• #1986637 Reply

AlexEiffel
          AskWoody_MVP

For your mother, I would stay on 12 for now if she is at the latest version 12.4.2, which has the security updates. 13.2 should be out in 3-4 weeks maybe and it might fix more issues.

If you are already on 13, 13.1.3 should be the version to use.

• #1988229 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Plus

I have had the mail deletion issues in iOS 11, 12, and now in 13 (I am at 13.1.3, and is a lesser degree now). I suspect, FOR ME, that it is more an ISP issue than iOS. I do not have any of the accounts set to delete from server upon download except on the main desktop (which once that grabs the mail it is gone from the ISP server) which is where I do most of my critical email. I do not have email backed up to the iCloud on any of my devices. I like my email on my HDD and use a mail client like Thunderbird and Outlook.

If it is junk, spam, or is resolved without a need for a retained record, I will delete it from the ISP server manually with the iPhone. That is when I later find some do not always delete.

It works for me as I usually encounter the email on a mobile device first. If it required further action I just mark it as read and flagged.

• #1989396 Reply

AlexEiffel
        AskWoody_MVP

IOS 13 brought new mail issues for us, but it fixed a long time issue we had with a salesman having lots of emails every day seeing his older emails automatically deleted for no reason from the phone. We tried every trick we could to fix this issue and were never able to do it. IOS 13 update and then no more problem, but he started having contacts loosing phone numbers…

• #1993782 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Sorry I missed this (I need to start checking the threads for questions before I post my columns so I can ensure to answer questions that come down the line).

I haven’t had a chance to test iOS 13.1.3 yet. Generally those minor releases solve more bugs that create, but if 13.1.2 is working well for you, then you could hold off for it a bit and upgrade when you’re ready. I should be ugprading my iPhone to iOS 13 before too long (there’s a few things I’ve needed to do where I’ve had to hold off a bit, but I’m finally getting closer to being ready to upgrade).

iOS 13 does not run on the 5S. Here are the devices it runs on:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/

So in the case of your mother’s 5S, she won’t get the upgrade. Any minor updates to iOS 12 should be fine to install and patch any security vulnerabilities.

If I forget to answer questions anytime, feel free to send me a DM and link to your question, and I’ll get right on it.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1994101 Reply

pkoryn
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan – Thanks for your response to my questions.  I must not have been too clear on the question regarding my Mom’s new iPhone.  She now has an iPhone 7 – so is eligible for the upgrade from version 12 to 13.  What prompted my question was an article I read about waiting to upgrade from any version of 12 to 13 until 13.2 came out.  I was wondering what you thought of that – good advice to wait or is it ok to upgrade her iPhone 7 now?

Before I had read the article, I attempted to upgrade her phone and it initially indicated a download time of 9 HOURS, so I stopped it.  This was the same day the 13.1.3 came out and I figured the servers were overloaded and I’d wait for a better time!  I’d appreciate your insight on whether to upgrade now or wait.

• #1994588 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Nathan – Thanks for your response to my questions.  I must not have been too clear on the question regarding my Mom’s new iPhone.  She now has an iPhone 7 – so is eligible for the upgrade from version 12 to 13.  What prompted my question was an article I read about waiting to upgrade from any version of 12 to 13 until 13.2 came out.  I was wondering what you thought of that – good advice to wait or is it ok to upgrade her iPhone 7 now?

Thanks for the clarification. You likely made it clear, but I overlooked it. Last week was a busy week (contributing to AskWoody is one thing I do in addition to being a full-time PhD student, part-time consultant for a major weather company, and a contributor to a weather blog, as well as plenty of side projects).

From what I’m hearing, people I’ve talked to who have upgraded to iOS 13 are not having major issues with it, but they are on recent hardware (such as the iPhone XS). It’s likely safe to upgrade to iOS 13 now, but if you want to hold off for iOS 13.2 just to ensure your mother has a trouble-free experience, it certainly wouldn’t hurt (I tend to hold off updating my mother’s devices for a bit when major releases occur until I know she’s going to have a solidly-working experience, although her iPad is stuck on iOS 12, so she won’t be dealing with iOS 13 unless something happens and I need to replace her iPad).

For me personally, my goal is to upgrade my iPhone XS to iOS 13 by mid or late November if all goes well. My iPad Pro had to be restored due to an issue with the embedded Apple SIM when I changed wireless carriers, and my restore didn’t restore 100% of my settings, so I’ve been going through apps to ensure everything is back in business. I’m making sure my iPad Pro app settings mirror my iPhone, hence the reason I’m waiting to upgrade both devices until I’m finished with getting all my settings together (to eliminate any confusion). I have two folders of apps left to configure, then my iPad Pro is back to normal. I will then upgrade my iPhone XS to iOS 13, then my Apple Watch Series 3 to watchOS 6, then my iPad Pro to iPadOS 13. Once I upgrade all of my devices, I will personally report back here how my experience goes, but I’m guessing everything should go smoothly.

In your case, iOS 13 should likely be OK for your mother, but it wouldn’t hurt if you want to wait a little longer just to ensure the upgrade process goes smoothly. You should be able to upgrade before the end of the year without any issues.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iOS 13.1.3 update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.