News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iOS 13 Wi-Fi Message

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS iOS 13 Wi-Fi Message

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Here is an article from Macworld on the new iOS 13 Wi-Fi Message:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3482122/what-the-new-ios-13-wi-fi-message-means-about-nearby-available-networks.html

I did receive this in Sam’s Club recently. I did receive similar messages in iOS 12 and previously, and honestly, some of those were more intrusive.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2014897 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Plus

Does it do that if you have the “Ask to Join” set to off. I keep mine set to off and have not seen it appear after the updates to iOS 13. I got tired of the constant requests to join only to find the cost to join was your email address.

I now turn off wireless when I leave the house unless I have a distinct need to connect.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2014923 Reply

Myst
        AskWoody Plus

I have my “Ask to Join” set to OFF as well. It seems this message about available WiFi networks wouldn’t pop up in this case. I also turn WiFi off when out and about unless like you said, it’s needed.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2014937 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Never saw this message on any version of iOS/iPadOS 13 (currently on iOS 13.3 beta).

Attachments:
    • #2015297 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Mine is set to On, so I guess it would appear if it’s set to On, and not appear if it’s set to Off, but I’d have to double-check with Apple on that.

I may end up disabling mine. I had it set to On back when I had a limited data plan and spotty coverage and needed to use Wi-Fi more. I now have an unlimited data plan with plenty of priority data (50GB) and solid 4G coverage, so I haven’t used Public Wi-Fi in a while.

So far I’ve only seen it once since upgrading to iOS 13. Saw it way more on iOS 12, even for my home connection occasionally if my Wi-Fi didn’t auto-join in time.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iOS 13 Wi-Fi Message

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.