News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iOS 14 installed

Posted on Rick Corbett Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS iOS 14 installed

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

So… the backup from iOS 13.7 was MUCH slower than normal… even though I ALWAYS back up locally – never, ever to the cloud.

Installation of iOS 14 just worked with nary a hiccup… except a really, REALLY annoying prompt that I cannot finish the setup without setting up Apple Pay. (NO – I won’t, Apple!)

Hmm.. the ‘Settings’ icon now shows an issue … but pressing on it just brings up the ‘New Voicemail’ chooser dialogue. Whut?

OK, I just ignored it and  got rid of it by choosing ‘Setup later in wallet’. It’s still moaning on about ‘Apple Pay’. Snore…

OK… looked again and the screen now shows no updates over ‘Settings’… no more prompts to set up Apple Pay. Yay!

And that’s about it – all sorted… so far 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2296994 Reply
        Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

I didn’t have your problem but I have had several and spent all day trying to get iOS 14 working right on iPhone XR.

Does anyone here with Fx browser for iOS know why Mozilla says that I can make it the default (finally) browser in iOS 14 for iPhone but I need to upgrade Fx browser from current 28.2 (updated yesterday) to Fx 29 yet there is NO Fx 29 in the Apple app store?

I can make Edge or Chrome browsers the default browser in iOS 14 and do it now. So, what is with Mozilla having a help article about making Fx the default browser right now in iOS 14 for iPhone but then I can’t find Fx 29 in Apple app store?

Oh, and in iOS 14, supposedly I can ditch the awful Apple mail and make Thunderbird default. But I can’t see how to do that either.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 21 hours ago by Mele20.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2297103 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Does anyone here with Fx browser for iOS know why Mozilla says that I can make it the default (finally) browser in iOS 14 for iPhone but I need to upgrade Fx browser from current 28.2 (updated yesterday) to Fx 29 yet there is NO Fx 29 in the Apple app store?

You need a new version approved by Apple for changing Fx to default as it adds a new setting in the browser for iOS 14.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 11 hours ago by Alex5723.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2297242 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Getting used to Siri behaviour in iOS 14… which was really confusing at first.

Previously, a long press on the Home button brought up a full-screen Siri input… now it just invokes a smaller ‘shades of Bill’n’Ted trippy’ multi-coloured floating orb… which is now the Siri ‘waiting for input’ notifier*:

iOS14_01

And also shows you that the microphone has been activated.

I like that a press on the orb and ‘Siri… Turn Bluetooth on’ (or ‘Off) now actually shows the radio switch being toggled in Settings > Bluetooth.

I note also that previous iOS major version updates have often resulted in poor battery life for a few days at least whilst background ‘stuff’ goes on. I haven’t noticed that with this update.

Hope this helps…

*Why does this remind me of ‘Johnny 5’s’ demand for ‘Input! More Input!‘?

(Apologies for huge size of screenshot. Is there a ‘recommended size’ I can use as a guide? I would like to aim for consistency.)

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2297562 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Bad news for those who want to use third-party browsers or mail apps as default:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-bug-resets-default-apps-safari-mail-reboot/

Nathan Parker

• #2297568 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Bad news for those who want to use third-party browsers or mail apps as default:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-bug-resets-default-apps-safari-mail-reboot/

Why is it bad news ? Who reboots his iPhone and why ?
        I only reboot after an iOS updates…Just like I never shut down my PC and only reboot after OS updates.

There is no setting for default mail app, yet (I run iOS 14.2 beta 1).

• This reply was modified 1 hour, 40 minutes ago by Alex5723.
      • #2297569 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I seldom reboot as well, but generally when Apple Support tells me I have to do resolve an issue. 🙂

Nathan Parker

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iOS 14 installed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.