News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iOS : Lockdown added Crypto and Clickbait blocks

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS iOS : Lockdown added Crypto and Clickbait blocks

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Blockdown

Latest update 0.41 added “Block BlueKai tracker (recently implicated in massive tracker data leak)”

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277972 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Missed attachments.

clickbait

crypto

Attachments:
      • #2279446 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

How has Lockdown been lately? Worth using?

Nathan Parker

• #2279504 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

How has Lockdown been lately? Worth using?

Lockdown is worth using, “fixed” the Facebook SDK bug 🙂
        There is only 1 caveat, battery usage even when device is idle.

Are your iPhone apps crashing this morning?

• #2279517 Reply
        Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

Sounds like a good product – I like the idea of blacklisting bad sites. However, is the first of the two lists you pictured purportedly the list of sites it blocks? While some protection may be better than nothing, that list seems a little small (by 4 orders of magnitude)…

Such a blacklist of sites to avoid can seriously run to the hundreds of thousands of sites. A source of information that illustrates that lists of “bad sites” can be huge (as you might expect) is the uBlock Origin add-on for (non-tablet) web browsers. Note the numbers of “network filters” listed in this screen grab from the uBlock Origin config page:

uBlockSettings

Also, I’m curious why Lockdown should need to use noticeably more battery power when idle. I’m not being critical, just curious as online security is an area of interest of mine. Does the device have to maintain a higher state of awareness when a VPN layer is in use?

Attachments:
        • #2279535 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Lockdown is a good “vpn/firewall” app. the list of blocked tracking, crypto, clickbait.. is updated constantly. You can add domains manually.

The app is free (there is a paid version).

lockdown2

Attachments:
          2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iOS : Lockdown added Crypto and Clickbait blocks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.