News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • "IoT" Tractors and Cars

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bill C. 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

So, you think you own that brand new John Deere tractor or General Motors automobile you just purchased?

Increasingly, major corporations are claiming that they legally own the items that they have sold to you, that you purchased only a perpetual license to use the item. This contention is based on the fact that modern cars, tractors, etc., are “smart”, that is, that they are thoroughly managed and controlled by proprietary software; and therefore, if you do things with the item that they don’t approve of (such as a jury-rigged repair), you are, in effect, “hacking” their software and therefore violating copyright.

I think I’ll keep my current car till the wheels fall off, and I can’t get them back on again.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #128019 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

If John Deere and others are going to press this issue, then they should be required to clearly disclose to the buyer that it is not an outright purchase, but rather a perpetual lease, just so the customer knows what he is getting into.

Of course, if I don’t own the tractor I’ve purchased, I guess that means that the actual owner, John Deere, is the one who is responsible to fix it if it ever needs repair. For as long as I have it.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #128035 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Plus

Try looking up articles on who owns the data recorded on newer cars “Black Boxes.”  Collected data has already figured in both civil and criminal cases.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: "IoT" Tractors and Cars

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.