News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • IoT/BlockChain – What does Woody think?

Home Forums AskWoody support Connected home / Internet of things IoT/BlockChain – What does Woody think?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

anonymous

Hello Woody, what do you think about IoT in 2k17? And what do you think about block-chain?

• #169506 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Perhaps I can offer my thoughts.

The author says basically nothing about security concerns related to IoT devices. These devices are almost always rushed to market without much thought as to security. Consequently, they are easily hacked. Unless you can adequately address the security concerns, you would be much better off avoiding IoT devices.

The author makes a chilling statement: “Big data appeared long before the IoT. But the whole concept of the Internet of things is about data gathering and processing. IoT devices are built on the basis of special chips which main purposes are to track users’ activity.” Do you feel comfortable with that? I don’t. It seems that every day there is more and more invasion of our privacy, more and more monitoring of what we do; and the data gathered is then packaged and sold. That’s why there are so many “free” things on the Web these days — many of these “free” things are, in fact, gathering your personal information and then selling it.

You asked about Blockchain — “Blockchain is a constantly growing database.” And what do you think is in the database? Your information and mine! Combine that with “This fantastic ability of IoT devices to get smarter over time” (the author calls that “Machine Learning”; we used to call it “Artificial Intelligence”), and you have Big Brother getting bigger and smarter all the time.

After reading the article, I come away with the impression that the author believes that it would be a good thing if every detail of our lives were centrally managed by the IoT computer network.

I’m glad that the author was so honest and straightforward in this article. He is an “evangelist” for IoT, so I believe we should keep that in mind when reading the article.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: IoT/BlockChain – What does Woody think?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.