News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • IPhone 11 os13.1 and nordvpn

Posted on DriftyDonN Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS IPhone 11 os13.1 and nordvpn

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

I have not upgraded to os 13.5 YET and am wondering if anyone uses NordVPN on their iphone 11. Does it eat up the battery? Should you only have it connected part time?

Thanks

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2267395 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I have updated to iOS 13.5. So far so good overall.

I don’t use NordVPN. I use WiTopia. They have their own app, but I generally use Apple’s built-in VPN client (using Cisco IPSec). I generally don’t notice a major battery life impact. I generally only connect though when I’m on public Wi-Fi or if I need to ensure I have an encrypted connection (such as if I’m dealing with customer data where I work). I don’t leave it on other times.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2267399 Reply
          DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you for your reply. I seldom (never) connect to outside wifi as I am homebound for the most part. Truthfully, I didn’t NEED this iphone 11 but was getting bored w/ Win 10 missteps on patch days and only used android cheap cell phones maybe 1 1/2 hrs  a month- emergency use only so when I’m out and wife home alone she can reach me. Probably a luxury I could have done without BUT the gov’t sent me extra $ this month! SS is kinda lite if you know what I mean. So a gift for me. It is certainly a different world from android and windows! Irritating but fascinating also. So any info I can glean from this site is helpful! Have learned to dl and install update via itunes and PC ( cannot stand itunes- have an ipod Nano 4th or 5th gen….probably will stop charging in about 2 days- its a bit long in the tooth but I do like it-sad they make them disposable! Would like to find someone to replace the battery but no luck! In any case thanks for the info re:VPN. I use it on my Laptops but if Apple has a native app perhaps I’ll give it a look- IF I ever feel the need.

Many thanks!

Stay Well

Don

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2267414 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I have installed updates directly on the phone, and in general, I haven’t had issues. A little quicker than iTunes.

I do have a Windows Switchers guide on here for iPad users. It’s somewhat iPad-centric, but there are some tips that may help you with your iPhone as well. I’ve used iPhones since the iPhone 3G/iOS 2, so I can answer just about any questions you need.

On the iPod batteries, there is a place here in Hot Springs, Arkansas (Spa City iRepair) that repairs old Apple devices. Not sure if you could ship your iPods to them and have new batteries changed.

Here’s a link for iPhone VPN:

https://www.howtogeek.com/215730/how-to-connect-to-a-vpn-from-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Nathan Parker

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: IPhone 11 os13.1 and nordvpn

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.