News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • iPhone AirPods Question

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS iPhone AirPods Question

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I currently use the PowerBeats 2 as my Bluetooth headset. I don’t listen to music through them and mainly use them for phone calls, and I’ll occasionally switch pairing to my iPad or Mac for video conferencing purposes.

Are there any good reasons for me to look into upgrading to AirPods instead? I own the iPhone XS, plus I heard there’ll be some AirPods enhancements in iOS 13.

My only beef with them is when I see people wear them, they look really dorky. My Powerbeats are a little bulkier but at least look more like a normal headset.

The wired AirPods aren’t an option since the last time I wore them when I had a cell phone connection issue, someone thought I was a spy. Wearing a long dark coat and talking into my Apple Watch (when they first were released) after my headset wasn’t working well didn’t help convince someone I wasn’t a spy.

Nathan Parker

• #1849920 Reply

willygirl
      AskWoody Plus

Are there any good reasons for me to look into upgrading to AirPods instead? I own the iPhone XS, plus I heard there’ll be some AirPods enhancements in iOS 13.

Dear Nathan “Agent99” – I don’t use AirPods but was looking around after I saw your post and found this info on Apple’s site – https://www.apple.com/airpods/. It seems to me AirPods would be the better choice because it’s iPhone specific in functionality. Most likely the pods give you more options when connected to your iPhone XS. That would be a selling point for me, even at the risk of looking “dorky”.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1850051 Reply

anonymous

They are probably fine, but an issue for me is that you have two little cells next to your ears. Do Airpod’s power cells fail gracefully or get excited after so many hours of playing the hot top 10 hits?

Another issue is that both generations of Airpods cannot be repaired, but maybe Apple are recycling them reclaiming some materials.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1850142 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I don’t leave my current headset on long (only during the duration of the call or meeting), although occasionally I’ll have a long call or meeting. Then again, holding an iPhone up to my ear for the duration of the call likely isn’t much better.

The repairability factor of some Apple gear is an issue, but I believe Apple is recycling them. Here’s the official Apple recycling page:

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Nathan Parker

• #1851903 Reply

anonymous

Yes, indeed the Airpods might do you well for this use case. As always to this very day even when a person is using a Bluetooth communication device with a cell phone that audio & visual experience never gets less awkward when they are seemingly talking to everybody and nobody.

As for recycling, good to see Apple is put that in print especially the sub-section about aluminum alloy. Somewhere several years ago it was read or told Apple have expressed a desire to become become a fully integrated recycler of materials while supplying themselves the results of such labors.

Apple’s direction seems to be going towards a fully vertically integrated corporate structure, read the story of the Rolex watch company for a glimpse of the end result.

• #1850144 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

If anyone is interested in AirPods, they’re on sale on Amazon today:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3403353/the-new-airpods-just-had-their-first-price-drop-at-amazon.html

Nathan Parker

• #1850266 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Dear Nathan “Agent99”

I missed your post earlier and just saw this. Hee hee! Great bit of humor. It was hilarious being mistaken for a spy when I wore the wired ones (plus I was mistaken once for a movie producer for just owning the iPhone 4, but that’s another topic).

Good advice, and I’ll look into the AirPods more. I have a couple of friends with them and will ask them how their experiences are. With all the Apple gear I own, they’d likely integrate well.

Nathan Parker

• #1850733 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

Yeah iPhone4 is not a high end device anymore but I betcha there’s some movie producer somewhere who recently switched. Whatever gets the job done. Should have made reference to Maxwell as opposed to Agent99 for obvious reasons, just don’t talk into your shoe and you’ll be ok Nathan. The watch is fine though

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1851014 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

When I had the iPhone 4, I was the first person in my county to get one (it was when I was living in North GA). No one else had one, and coupled with the fact I had a brand new silk shirt and there was movie filming going on with a producer that happened to look like me, added to the confusion (but that’s another story).

Unless Apple releases the Apple Shoe, I don’t plan on talking into my phone. I have Verizon now, but when I had T-Mobile, I could have always gotten these:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/sidekicks

Nathan Parker

• #1851069 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

There are new wireless Powerbeats Pro.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/powerbeats-pro

[Mod edit] please provide details if you are posting other’s opinions.

• #1851880 Reply

anonymous

These Powerbeats Pro could pass for Airpods generation three, with the price point to match it should make a person question if they need these items.

• #1853883 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks! I have the PowerBeats 2 now and enjoy the form factor. I won’t rush into any purchasing decisions and see what are my options. Thanks again everyone for great info.

Nathan Parker

• #1862501 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Apple sent me their support article on the Music app as well in case anyone needs this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204951

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: iPhone AirPods Question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.