News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is 1703 direct to 1803 possible?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update Is 1703 direct to 1803 possible?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  woody 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

CyGuy
      AskWoody Plus

I’m sorry to sound so clueless but can anyone tell me, if I change my deferral settings to allow Feature Updates, will my system (Win Pro 1703) skip 1709 and get 1803??  I don’t want to be more than a year behind when 1809 debuts.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kirsty
      Da Boss

I understand that you are most likely to get the later update, not the interim update, but I can’t find a reference to confirm that in a quick search. Maybe someone else can give some authority to that?

In the meantime, you may like to check out @pkcano‘s topic, which might be of assistance – it might be worth bookmarking/favorite-ing it:
      Upgrading Win10 v1703 to v1709 from an ISO

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

I can’t answer that with certainty, but I can offer that in my Windows 10 VM, which is stuck on the ancient version 1507 (the original RTM), Windows update keeps offering 1803, not any intermediate versions.  From this, it seems as though the method is to install only the latest (current) feature update, not the intermediate ones.  They’re cumulative updates, so it should not be necessary to go through all the stepe in between… if things work as planned, at least.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.2).

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

I can confirm this behavior – it’s been consistent on our live and test networks.  Once you shorten the feature deferral to zero or unblock them if you used other unsupported methods, you will be offered the most recent feature build that MS thinks you are compatible with.

So yes, you will skip over any builds you missed and go directly to the current release.

However:  we’ve seen a few times with older hardware where we were either not offered a new feature update at all, or were offered one of the interim builds.  With no newer builds offered afterwards.  In those (to us) rare cases those were always on older OEM machines (I’ve not seen this on custom hardware builds so far.)  I suspect that’s a toggle that OEM’s can submit to MS Updates for large scale known issues.  It’s hit Lenovo, HP and Dell machines that were more than 6 years old.

Oddly in those cases we were able to override by installing a newer build from USB. And so far they continue to work just fine . . .

~ Group "Weekend" ~

3 users thanked author for this post.

CyGuy
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you very much, especially for the level of detail you provide.  Exactly what I need.

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody_MVP

I can only speak of personal experience and I would not be surprised that the experience might vary depending on which version you are running.

I didn’t remove the deferral setting when I was on 1607 but I got warned about its end of support coming this spring and the version that got offered was 1703 not a later one, to which I allowed the update. Fine with me to always stay on the oldest supported version. I will wait for 1703 to complain it goes end of support too before moving again.

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

This is not good.
      I don’t want to go from 1709 to 1809, I want to go to 1803.
      I’m going to start futzing around with VM’s in an effort to figure out the rhyme and reason for this, and what can be done (if anything).

I would imagine 1809 will come up as a SAC(T) (Semi-Annual Channel [Targeted]) at least for a few weeks after release, so if your deferrals are set to SAC (as mine are), you’ll grab 1803, not 1809.

AlexEiffel
        AskWoody_MVP

This is a good hypothesis, except Microsoft said they wanted to drop this distinction so who knows what they will do when 1809 is released.  I had 1607 and got 1703 while 1709 was SAC not SAC-T. I had the deferral for SAC and the delay in days set. I don’t know what is in my setup that made Microsoft offers me 1703 instead of 1709 when 1803 was right there, but I was happy. I have the GP set to download and ask for updates, too.

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, my hypothesis was correct.
      It’s a combination of the branch readiness, and the feature update deferrals.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/experiment-to-determine-when-and-what-feature-updates-are-offered-with-deferrals/

You can go to a stopgap, to 1709 or 1803 without having to leapfrog everything straight to 1809 (if the experiment is any indication).

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Its just a thought no doubt most if not all have considered this option but download the 1803 .iso here and run from the Desktop as an upgrade, you get a back up .iso as well. Just when you create the .iso don’t use M$ recommended settings i.e. create .iso for use on another machine. Its fairly self explanatory. You could create an FFU but that means tying up a USB stick I prefer to make as I need with Rufus. If you want to Install/Upgrade from a USB image with Rufus you can it may be quicker but the machines probably not usable for about 40 mins. Not sure how long an upgrade last’s as I prefer not to do them but I am hearing 2 Hours?
      Courtesy of Into Windows many Thx
      Just select the Top Box otherwise your in to clean install territory UPGRADE and that’s it really. Win10 1803 probably going to available right up to the 2nd Patch Tuesday next Month I am guessing then after that it’ll be 1809.

woody
      Da Boss

I’ve set up a top level topic for this discussion.

Please post here:

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/how-to-upgrade-from-win10-pro-1703-to-1709-and-not-1803/

The topic ‘Is 1703 direct to 1803 possible?’ is closed to new replies.