News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Is anyone using Thunderbird 91.5.0? Any good?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Questions: Browsers and desktop software » Is anyone using Thunderbird 91.5.0? Any good?

Author
    Topic

I am using TB for Macs version 78.14.0 and, for a while now, have been nagged by its developers to update to its latest version, TB 91.5.0 .

Is anyone using TB 91.5.0 and, if so, what has been their experience so far with it? Thanks.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
    Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
    Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I have it here and it works like TB always works. It does PDF attachments better than before, but that is not a 91.5 thing.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

Same here – using 91.5 and can’t really tell any difference from previous version – depending on how many devices you are working on though, I have noticed that some of my users who have different extensions have some variation in how updates affect them, so that is something to consider (extension compatibility)

Yes, upgrading to the new version has been mostly smooth on Windows. (The Updater forgot to recognize that it did complete the Thunderbird update.)

Notably many of the former system menus for Macintosh may now be implemented in the Thunderbird interface. Check the release notes for anything that may have radically changed for your daily use.

Among other fixes listed in the ghacks article linked by migongo, there is one for this:

CVE-2022-22737: Race condition when playing audio files

So one can play audio files with Thunderbird? Besides doing email? Would those be files attached to emails? Something else?

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Is anyone using TB 91.5.0 and, if so, what has been their experience so far with it? Thanks.

In case this will help, I am a first-time Thunderbird user as of about a month ago and I freshly started out with TB ver. 90.. (of an early vintage). I have upgraded “on schedule” (i.e. whenever offered), so am now using 92.5.0.  It works perfectly for me with no troubles.

I am using it on a PC and as well have installed “zero” add-ins.

Since I was new to it, configuring font sizes, multiple accounts, inboxes, etc. took some research, but it now works without difficulty.

I do monitor the Thunderbird forum (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=50) and it appears that those who are having the most difficulties with the new builds are using setups, and add-ins, that go far beyond the “vanilla” setup I have.

(I am a  former user of TAPCIS, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, MS Office Outlook  and OE Classic.  At the present tome, Thunderbird duplicates for me the functionality of those programs.)

Al Taylor: I am also a “vanilla user” of TB and of anything else that I need to do certain basic but necessary things, such as being able, in this case, to communicate asynchronously by email with people in near and distant lands (so if they are not there when I sent the message, that’s OK, they’ll probably get to it and send me an answer not too long after). Sending this way text and maybe some attached PDF, JPEG, GIF, etc.

I’ve never included an add-on on TB or, for that matter, on anything else, besides a few of the usual security and ad-blocking software on my browsers for privacy and security reasons.

My main gripes about TB, and I have started a few threads here about each of them, have had to do, for example, with (a) getting to set the font type and size and getting these to stay this way, because of their tendency to experience occasional random changes, (b) setting the flag of the level of importance of a message. In other words, things that in all the other email clients I have used are very easy to do, but TB is, well … a bit different.

In each case I have received a number of helpful comments from other subscribers of AskWoody, and in one occasion I also helped more than a few here with the issue of the tiny default size of the letters one types in. These gripes of mine can be summed up as: “TB is way to fiddly!”

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: Is anyone using Thunderbird 91.5.0? Any good?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.