News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is free Win 10 Upgrade still working?

Posted on CADesertRat Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Is free Win 10 Upgrade still working?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 41 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  CADesertRat 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

My Girlfriend has an Intel i5 Haswell built in 2013 and asked me if she could still get the free Win 10 upgrade. I looked at Ed Bott’s site concerning the free upgrades and they were still available as of Oct. 2018 (the last time the article was updated). I have 1803 on a USB (from MCT) to put on her computer by using the setup.exe if the upgrade is still viable.

Just curious if anyone has tried it lately. Thanks

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does πŸ™‚
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #348818 Reply

pkarl11
      AskWoody Plus

I updated a six year old Asus laptop from 7 to 1809 about a month ago. No issues at all with update process, saved all files and apps, some driver problems that needed resolution. I would think that would be your biggest problem.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #349266 Reply

msskyhawk
      AskWoody Plus

I just bought a DellΒ : Dell Optiplex 380Β  at a yard sale for $2.00. It was a 2010-era computer & had only 1 GB of DDR3 memory, a bad 200GB Hard Drive & the Power Supply had a bad Fan. It had a Microsoft Windows 7 PRO sticker with the Product KEY.

Motherboard:
      Manufacturer Dell Inc.
      Model 0HN7XN (CPU)
      Version A01
      Chipset Vendor Intel
      Chipset Model G41
      Chipset Revision A3
      Southbridge Vendor Intel
      Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
      Southbridge Revision A1

BIOS:
      Brand Dell Inc.
      Version A03
      Date 12/6/2010

I installed a 320GB HD & 8gb of DDR3 & replaced the Fan in the Power supply.

Clean the Computer & powered on using a Linux boot flash drive, it worked just fine.

I then booted with Windows 10 1809 & installed Windows on boot. It asked for the Windows KEY which I inserted the Windows 7 Pro key without any problem & Windows 10 1809 was installed with no problem & did Windows updates & got all the proper drivers & Windows was activated!
      I’m using this computer to login to ASKWOODY & post this info.

RON LADNER

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #349290 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

It’s my understanding that this process still works. It’ll even work to upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro, if you have a valid Win7 (or Win8.1) Pro key.

I hesitate to recommend it, though, for two reasons:

• No idea if it’ll keep working.
        • Some people need to count licenses, for fear of Microsoft swooping in. For those people, the license status after doing this is uncertain. For normal users, hey, upgrade away!
    • #349311 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the response’s. It looks like the upgrade is still viable for her.

My plan is to clone her W7 Pro HDD and then use the clone to upgrade to W10 pro. If there are any problems she will still have her original HDD with W7 Pro to fall back on. Does that sound like a reasonable/do-able plan or will the new W10 license mess that plan up?

Thanks

• #349318 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

sounds like a good plan

and yes free win10 upgrades from win7/8.1 are still “unoffically” working

• #349335 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

A couple of days ago I upgraded a Dell OptiPlex 3020M from Windows 7 to Windows 10-1809. The machine had been on Windows 10-1809; I reinstalled the original hard drive which had Windows 7 installed; I booted it to make sure all was well – it came up with Windows 7; I did a clean install of Windows 10-1809. Windows activated automatically – I didn’t even have to input a license key.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #349347 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks Jim, good to know πŸ™‚

• #349349 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi CADesertRat – what you said sounds like a good idea / plan,Β 

My plan is to clone her W7 Pro HDD and then use the clone to upgrade to W10 pro. If there are any problems she will still have her original HDD with W7 Pro to fall back on.

I recently, about 3 weeks ago, did a similar ‘clone’ Win7 and upgrade to Win10 1803. I would recommend cloning the HDD to a SSD, the Solid State Drive performance is awesome. You did not mention cloning the HDD to SSD, so I just thought I would mention it. I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD from Amazon, and used the free EaseUS Todo Backup Free program to clone. I had about 220 GB on the 500 GB HDD, and it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete the clone operation, so just be patient and have something else to do while the clone operation works. Note that different computer hardware specs will mean clone time will vary for different users. I followed the cloning advice in the How-to Geek article which is very good. Be sure to check and adjust any Partition sizes if necessary. Just sharing, thanks for your inputs and good questions CADesertRat. πŸ™‚

https://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #349367 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the input Lars220.

The computer she has is pretty snappy with a SATA III 1 TB HDD right now. I doubt that she wants to spend the money on an SSD (although I know your point on the SSD is a valid one since that is what I use all the time). The CPU is an Intel i5-4690 3.50 Ghz and it seems to be pretty quick.

As to the cloning, I bought and have been using Casper from fssdev.com for many years and it is fast on USB 3.0 and very accurate. It has saved me a few times. I saw the value of cloning many years ago starting with XP.

I am also going to start her on 1803 by just plugging in the USB stick and clicking setup.exe to get the ball rolling.

I’m hoping that W10 will update whatever drivers she needs and there are a couple of programs that will have to be upgraded like Quicken 2014 and her HP printer drivers will have to be manually redone with HP W10 drivers which were easy to find.

• #350052 Reply

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

I have older versions of Quicken (2005 and 2011) and QuickBooks (2009) running on 1809 without issues on a couple client machines. If she’s not using Quicken’s online services it should be fine. You just have to enable .net 3.5.

• #350117 Reply

CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks, I assume you mean enable .net 3.5 in Control Panel>Windows Features on/off? I will be putting 1803 on the computer.

• #546694 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

As to programs & drivers, it looks like Quicken and the HP drivers (along with most programs/apps) seems to have gone nicely with the upgrade to 1803. I haven’t found any that don’t work yet. Of course that can change but encouraging so far.

• #349423 Reply

pkarl11
      AskWoody Plus

I’m hoping that W10 will update whatever drivers she needs

This has been my biggest heartburn with W10, sometimes its choice of drivers sucks and it’s very difficult to get them updated. I have my big (Asus G703) laptop set to not allow driver changes during updates.

• #350128 Reply

anonymous

Yes in Control panel add/remove features. I think we may have had Quicken 2005 running on 1803. The others were straight to 1809.

• #349858 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

I do remember woody saying months ago that Microsoft wants to get users running older Windows versions like Win7 & Win8.1 on the Win10 train; as long as they’re using genuine versions of Win7/8.1, they can still upgrade freely to Win10 and have W10 activated with a digital license.

I always perform an “offline” upgrade to Win10 (meaning upgrade locally using ISO/USB install method without an internet connection available) – I do NOT want to establish a WiFi/WLAN or ethernet/LAN connection to the internet during Win10 setup, that way setup won’t ask to create a Microsoft account. Before upgrading any Win7/8.1 machine to Win10, I cut off any internet connections before running the Win10 upgrade locally and then when Win10 setup is fully complete I re-establish the internet connections

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #350043 Reply

lcns034
      AskWoody Plus

Due to a motherboard failure, I moved my activated free Windows 10 Upgrade to another case complete with all the stuffing’s.Β  The only components I re used were the hard drive, power supply, and a dead fly.Β  Windows 10 became de activated. I should have used a live fly?

Using my Windows 7 license from the old box re activated Windows 10.Β  [The fly is still de- activated.]Β  I was surprised at how smooth this went! The Windows 7 license and operating system was the same one in use on the old box that allowed my free upgrade to Windows 10.

Thank you Microsoft!

I hereby forgive you for Windows Vista!

XOXOXO

Leonard J. Porto III

• #350091 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

The only components I re used were the hard drive, power supply, and a dead fly.

aha, you have chosen wisely if bugs don’t bother you!
        Welcome to askwoody πŸ™‚

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #523841 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Well, I did the upgrade today on her W7 computer (to 1803 17134.706) and it took most of the day. All went well though other than the computer now takes FOREVER to shutdown/then boot and any restarts. I would guess 10 mins at least maybe longer for boot.

The USB 3.0 extensible controller was taken over by MS so I don’t know if that’s a problem yet. Lots more to do on the computer yet and the restarts are killing me.

• #524237 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

I just did an upgrade, using a USB thumb drive created using the Media Creation Tool, from W7 SP-1 to W10 1809 on a friends computer today. Took about 2 hours including doing a Macrium Reflect image of the W7 system before starting the upgrade. 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #526068 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

Gosh RG your such a showoff πŸ™‚

• #529444 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Using the USB Thumb drive created by the MCT, I did an Upgrade over Win7 last week to Win10 Version 1809 Build 17663.253 without issues.Β  Didn’t have to enter the Product Key from the Win7 COA and it did get the Digital License when I connected to the Internet.Β  Then it updated to Build 17663.437 an hour later.Β  I didn’t boot to the thumb drive but in File Explorer ran the x64 setup.exe file as an Upgrade from its Folder on the thumb drive.Β  The process doesn’t do an Upgrade install if booted to the thumb drive, prompts to load Windows first.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #542154 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Using the USB Thumb drive created by the MCT, I did an Upgrade over Win7 last week to Win10 Version 1809 Build 17663.253 without issues. Didn’t have to enter the Product Key from the Win7 COA and it did get the Digital License when I connected to the Internet. Then it updated to Build 17663.437 an hour later. I didn’t boot to the thumb drive but in File Explorer ran the x64 setup.exe file as an Upgrade from its Folder on the thumb drive. The process doesn’t do an Upgrade install if booted to the thumb drive, prompts to load Windows first.

That’s the process I used but with a USB stick with 1803 on it. I think my mistake was forgetting to kill the internet while doing the upgrade which added time to it for updates and I’m still a bit puzzled over the boot/reboot time involved after the upgrade.

• #543671 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

that’s the reason why I always do offline upgrades to win10 – make sure all Wifi and ethernet/LAN internet connections are turned off before running setup in Windows, then after the upgrade is complete, turn any of the internet connections back on.

If you choose to keep all apps and personal files during setup, the boot/reboot time will take longer.

• #544553 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, I chose to keep all her apps and personal settings. So if I understand you correctly, that is what adds to the extra boot/reboot time even after the upgrade is complete?

• #545232 Reply

Microfix
            Da Boss

In layman’s terms: (off the top of my head)
            Stage 1: is intergrity check/decompression of downloaded patches.
            Stage 2 and 3 of patching the system is installing the patches and reconfiguration/ registration. Sometimes stage 3 requires another reboot during the boot process to change system files which can’t be overwritten whilst in use as well as registration changes.
            These are more than likely to have slowed your boot process after installation.

• #545816 Reply

CADesertRat
              AskWoody Plus

I understand all that but even now (the upgrade was yesterday) it boots/reboots really slow.

• #543976 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

I’m with @ep here, at home, I’ve never installed W10 whilst connected online.
        Solely relying on the original ISO has benefits for further set-ups and patching.

• #546310 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve noticed slower boot times on older machines when using the older intel iastor AHCI drivers. Faster boot with MS’ AHCI built-in driver. But not 5-10 minutes. My guess is a driver or startup program. Maybe try disabling as many startup items and services as possible and see if you can trace it down.

• #547558 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I was looking at the updates in WU and noticed that 1 of the updates was an Intel Micro-code update. I wonder if that is the reason for the slowdown because there were never any Micro code updates on the machine when it was W7 because I never put any on it.

• #861962 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

not even the KB3064209 update for Win7? that was the only intel cpu microcode update for win7 – I have that installed on my family’s Dell Inspiron 620 desktop PC that uses an Intel Sandy Bridge i5-2500 CPU since July 2015. windows update did offer KB3064209 at that time for certain (but not all) Intel CPUs

• #863990 Reply

CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

Hmmm, I don’t think so as W7 but it certainly got one when I took it to W10.

• #857204 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Just an update, her computer seems to be running fine now so I guess I will prepare to upgrade my 2013 i7-3770 ivy bridge to 1809 by using the same process.

That will be the last Win 7 computer in the house, they will all be W10 after that. πŸ™‚

• #862478 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ll probably upgrade my family’s Dell Inspiron 620 computer during the summer (most likely July 2019) from Win7 Ultimate SP1 to Win10 Pro v1809 (and manually install the KB4465065 intel cpu microcode update for 1809 as KB4465065 is currently obtained thru the MS Update Catalog site only)

the Dell machine already had a W10 digital license when I upgraded from win7 to win10 v1607 a few years ago but rolled back since W7 was working well. but during the 2nd half of this year I’ll make the permanent switch to Win10

• #864422 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

This time I will do the 1809 install on my last w7 computer without internet, hopefully that will save some time. I’m hoping to get started tomorrow or the day after. I already cloned the drive so I just need to change out the SSD’s and upgrade the clone.

• #922074 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I’m pretty much setup to do the W7 to W10 upgrade on my other computer. I disconnected the antenna for the wireless and pulled the LAN cable. I think I’m going to go with 1803 instead of 1809 for the upgrade. Any thoughts before I start??

Well, I just started the 1803 upgrade, the only thing that I see so far that may be of concern is that the wireless connection is going to reconnect on every reboot. Unplugging the antenna makes no difference, it just connects at a slower speed from the adapter.

• #925466 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

An interesting thing happened during install, not sure if anyone has mentioned it before. It just sat at the log in screen forever and I noticed that my keyboard wasn’t working. Finally I just unplugged/re-plugged the USB keyboard and it brought the keyboard to life. Sure wasted a lot of time figuring that one out. πŸ™‚

I just plugged in the internet and am waiting for the updates to download.

• #931183 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

It did the updates for 1803 and after that I noticed that I no longer have access to a shared folder on my girlfriends computer. The troubleshooter says that my computer is configured correctly but there is no response from hers (both 1803 bld 17134.706)

I had access just fine when it was still W7 but evidently something changed??? Anybody got a clue?

• #941708 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

SMB V1 may have been removed in your copy.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/cant-share-files-on-home-network/

cheers, Paul

• #957159 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I looked and smb v1 is enabled on all computers with all the boxes checked. I also went into “Services” and set all these to Automatic (delayed start).

Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)

Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)

Network Connections (NetMan

UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)

Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)

Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)

Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)

This what I get when I run the newtwork troubleshooter

Network-Troubleshooter

Attachments:
        • #957345 Reply

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

Just some ideas… Try making those same settings on her machine. Try re-sharing the folder. Try with firewall off for testing.

Were you using homegroup before? That has been removed from 10. Do you have your same username and password on both machines?

• #964093 Reply

CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

No I’ve never used Homegroup. I have been messing with this all day so far and one thing I noticed was that on my freshly installed W10 1803 the network discovery was all turned off so I turned all that back on but it didn’t help. I checked firewalls to see if file & Printer sharing was turned on and it was. I have myself as an account on her computer with a password so that shouldn’t make a difference. I added “everyone” w/read & write to the permissions on her computer and that didn’t help either.

Then I remembered that years ago I had all these computers on Static IPs and had edited the host’s file to reflect the static IP/computer name so I took her computer off of Obtain IP auto and put in the old Static IP and it is finally working for now. Hopefully it stays that way !! Not sure if it will disturb anything else or not and I don’t have a clue as to why that let her computer see mine again but it’s working for now.

Thanks for the input.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is free Win 10 Upgrade still working?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel