News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is Google (Big Brother?) Drive Hiding Some Data?

Posted on Michael Austin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Is Google (Big Brother?) Drive Hiding Some Data?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Michael Austin
      AskWoody Plus

Google Backup and Sync screen 2

Soooo… among other methods of data sharing and storage I’ve been using Google Drive a long time. You’ll recall when Google rolled out their Backup and Sync client. I find it works pretty well and allows me to share cloud copies of things between a desktop and laptop.

You might find it interesting that Google tech support can in no way explain the extra 21.7 GB of data ascribed to me in their Web interface. I’ve around 105 GB data confirmed on my local drive. Google’s Web interface shows around 131 GB. That’s a 17% difference. Even Google’s tech wondered if something surreptitous by Google might be afoot.

After 1 1/4 hours on the phone with Google two different techs couldn’t figure this out.

With Google I’ve already been through the ideas that other shared, Google-specific, folders might be contributing data which are hidden. They aren’t. And even if Google’s local software was uploading data without my knowledge, the other folders from which Google could draw wouldn’t comprise 17% or 22 GB.

In my screenshots, my 105 Backup and Sync GBs are a specific, intentionally-selected sub-folder of the main Documents folder containing 128.7 GB.

Good ideas, anyone, to suss this out? Dank je 🙂

Professional propellerhead. Former builder & admin of the 1st mixed OS network at a premier gallery of vintage animation art in its cake days, including its 1st intranet and all its back office business systems. My LAN security implementations once successfully passed muster by subpoena from a CA Superior Court judge. Former Windows Secrets subscriber and also former, gleeful reader of InfoWorld when it was a tabloid print edition.

Earth spirit. Finance, social and tech founder.

Attachments:
    • #1998496 Reply

anonymous

I have no privileged Google informant. I only offer a possible explanation.

Seventeen percent sounds like a reasonable amount to reserve for “headroom” needed when folding in new incremental data and deleting redundant data. So on the one hand you are comparing the total value of actual data saved in your name against the other hand the total space allotted by Google for your account activity.

If you observe these values over time, will this phantom value also grow and shrink in accordance with predictable use patterns, reflecting your required needs of the moment?

This would be a sensible precaution by Google to balance customer service while maximizing available resources. The fact that a Google phone tech would not offer this explanation is not within my knowledge.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1999060 Reply

Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

You’re smart and reasonable. Thoughts not dissimiliar to those crossed my mind. But Google didn’t bother to inform their front-line support techs if that policy exists. Comparatively few of us corral their front- or back-range data dogies with my levels of care so I figure Google just does what its managers please without clear communication.

Professional propellerhead. Former builder & admin of the 1st mixed OS network at a premier gallery of vintage animation art in its cake days, including its 1st intranet and all its back office business systems. My LAN security implementations once successfully passed muster by subpoena from a CA Superior Court judge. Former Windows Secrets subscriber and also former, gleeful reader of InfoWorld when it was a tabloid print edition.

Earth spirit. Finance, social and tech founder.

• #1999270 Reply

anonymous

If my guess is accurate (which is not known), it would seem more of an engineer’s requirement than a manager’s whim. But opinions vary.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is Google (Big Brother?) Drive Hiding Some Data?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.