News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Is it hardware or software?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

This Surface Pro 3 was recently upgraded to 21H1 but this audio issue was there prior.
        In today’s newsletter @sb mentions audio issues that have recently been reported.

I have run trouble shooter (many times), submitted feedback to MS (before 21H1) no response and searched for solutions.

The attached shows what I see on first logon, all sound settings indicate no input or output devices installed. The red circle(X) persists.

Any fix if it’s software?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PFC.
        firstmerk
        AskWoody Plus

I have a Surface Tab 3 (not Pro), I just upgraded. Sound is fine and Device Manager is clean. No problems yet, but I’ve barely used it since the upgrade.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        PFC
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

A high-pitched noise might be heard when using 5.1 audio with certain settings

After installing KB5000842 or later updates, 5.1 Dolby Digital audio may play containing a high-pitched noise or squeak in certain apps when using certain audio devices and Windows settings. Note This issue does not occur when stereo is used.

Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you can try one or more of the following:
        Streaming the video or audio in a web browser or different app, instead of the app affected by this issue.
        Enable Spatial sound settings by right clicking or long pressing on the volume icon in the notification area, selecting Spatial sound (Off) and selecting any of the available options.
        Affected platforms:
        Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004
        Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release

PFC
        AskWoody Plus

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release

not looking likely.

I installed the Preview cu and results are the same.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Is it hardware or software?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.