News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Is it just me, or Teams

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Is it just me, or Teams

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello,
        Today we noticed, that bare MS Teams even minimized eats about 500 MB of RAM, which seems to be little bit too much to me, on some older computers the app is not so responsive as how we thought it would be.
        After some adjustments, I was able to lower resources needed to approx 150-250MB.
        I set
        1) “After closing, let the app open” (sorry I have Czech version, but youll find the check button)
        then if you close the app, it will stay minimized on the “system tray” thus eating less resources?
        2) Turn off animations

minim

After restarting app, it has like 1/2 RAM than before.
        Also I have small question.. Teams are built on javascript?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Also I have small question.. Teams are built on javascript?

Actually, TypeScript and Angular. So a superset of a superset of JavaScript… that possibly might be compilable to base JavaScript.

Yeah, that’ll add bloat.

And even base-level JavaScript apps that use the Electron framework (which is JavaScript) are not exactly known for leanness…

1 user thanked author for this post.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Rethorical question?
        Why they do not use their own awesome UWP or .NET framework?
        Stochastic operating system Windows is, no logic there.

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

Cross-platform and code commonality, I’d guess.

The Linux version of Teams comes with its own copy of Chromium… and a whole lot of other things too if you look at the third-party copyright noticers.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

Maybe the cromium is display engine? OK, I see Its not that simple as I thought. But thats when important question rises:
            “Is it nescessary to be this complicated?” Are we witnessing the odge of programming as we know it? Will it be, that new SW can be created only in new SW?
            Web programming is good example – nobody writes web (js, PHP, AJAX, JSON, …) from scratch.
            Same with SW – we use libraries that are built in, you need Visual Studio or some other tools to create program.

I mean look at Office 365 as a whole. Its release as brand new application, when its build around old source code, when dialogs are the same from Office 2003, same old UI. Some dialogs were reworked, but some not. Every programmer knows how it works, when you dig into your old source code. More and more bugs pop up.

Im just wondering, if its technological revolution X as we see it now.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by doriel. Reason: screenshot - old dialog from excel 1997?
            Attachments:
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Is it just me, or Teams

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.