News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is It My Memory’s Fault?

Posted on spencer.p.lane Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        spencer.p.lane
        AskWoody Plus

Hey, I got an issue that most likely is hardware related but I’m looking for advice on how to track it down. I am a gamer and have an Asus Republic of Gamers Strix Scar Edition GL703GE laptop that is just over two years old. Over the past year, I have been getting BSODs and games crashing to the desktop. This past March I got fed up and re-installed Windows 10 1909 hoping it would stop the blue screens. Not so lucky.

The system has two memory slots with only one populated with a 16GB SODIMM. Using Windows Memory Diagnostic tool I ran a standard test and it came up clean with no errors. The on-screen text of the test page reads in part “Although the test may appear inactive at times, …” I wonder how long a period of time is considered acceptable for “inactive?” When I re-ran the test using the extended option it “hung” at 21% complete on pass 1 of 2 – for over 12 hours. Was that normal? I let it run overnight and stopped it the following morning because it’s a system I use regularly.

I recently opened up the access panel to the memory and storage drives and made sure the M.2 system drive and memory stick were both seated properly. No problems there but I did notice the tabs that hold the memory had an odd anomaly. The right side would not click into the stick’s notch as it appears to be a skosh too short to reach it. Weird. The stick is flush on both sides of the slot so it is not all cattywampus. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

• #2277735 Reply
        satrow
        AskWoody MVP

ASUS/OEM’s generally don’t make good, solid ‘utility’ software, too often it degrades into BSOD-triggering/BSOD-related bloatware, running too close to the Windows kernel but rapidly becoming too ‘outdated’. Clean OS and minimal ‘utilities’ is the way to go, install/keep updated as few 3rd-party drivers/filters as you can.

For BSOD help, use the brains at Sysnative to figure out the root of the problem.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2277857 Reply
          spencer.p.lane
          AskWoody Plus

Great, thanks for the link, satrow. I got a post started over there. I did have the Asus system monitor app ROG Gaming Center installed so I uninstalled it. I noticed it uses intel’s extreme tuning utility components. With those gone I’ll see if stability improves.

• #2277737 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

If you grab and use this tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You can analyze to some extent what’s causing the BSOD.  Feel welcome to post output summaries of what you find here and we’ll try to help.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2277858 Reply
          spencer.p.lane
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the advice, NetDef. I found that tool last month when I was troubleshooting the BSODs back then. There were three of them and they all had the same faulting driver, ntoskrnl.exe. Same address, ntoskrnl.exe+1c2390, and same bug check code, 0x000001c7 too. The address in stack, you guessed it, same for all, ntoskrnl.exe+21195c.

• #2277898 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

If you used the Intel Extreme Tuning, try (temporarily) re-installing the application, reset the tuning to standard, then uninstall it again. (Ref “ASUS ROG Gaming Center.”)

Some of the overclocking settings are set by that app in BIOS and are used regardless of the applications presence.

This is a remote guess:  but your RAM or CPU are not liking the overclock.  You *might* also have a bad cell(s) in the installed RAM.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #2277983 Reply
          spencer.p.lane
          AskWoody Plus

I think the intel tuning utility component came bundled with the Asus app. I did use XTU a few OS installs ago but not lately. Before I removed the ROG Gaming Center, I noticed an XTU process running in task manager but after, gone.

• #2277984 Reply
        spencer.p.lane
        AskWoody Plus

Well, this is interesting. I splashed the cash and got memtest86-Pro and ran 12 passes yesterday which became overnight which ended this morning. All 12 passes passed with no errors. Huh.

• #2277990 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

12 passes should indicate the RAM is fine (it used to be that spurious errors might randomly creep in after about 16-30 passes in good RAM that was flawless in use), I’ve witnessed and read genuine ‘fails’ that don’t trigger until the 7th/8th pass, so 12 is kinda no-man’s land.

I’d be happy with 8 clean passes per stick/slot – but that can involve a lot of down time.

Memory corruption can also be memory that is in use or paged out, if *something* makes an unexpected change to a file/memory location, that would be enough to flag it as corrupt when it’s legitimately called into play again. ‘Bad’ 3rd-party drivers/filters and malware (at least) could cause this.

• #2279268 Reply
        spencer.p.lane
        AskWoody Plus

Update time. I got great help from the good people at Sysnative.com, mentioned in a post above, which included running driver verifier. It ran for 24 hours and did not produce a BSOD. I have purchased new ram and will install and test it.

• #2279284 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

I’d prefer to allow Driver Verifier to run for 48 hours straight as a minimum – alongside your regular activities – I feel the extra Processes and drivers/filters loaded and stressed over a longer time period should get a BSOD.

Let’s see how the new RAM behaves over the coming days…

• #2279316 Reply
            spencer.p.lane
            AskWoody Plus

Roger that. Off to re-enable driver verifier. Come Monday morning, we should know more.

• #2279370 Reply
              satrow
              AskWoody MVP

It’s important to run your regular software/Apps to tickle all the parts that make up your weekly workload – if it still comes up clean after that… not sure what to suggest (a big log/data collection to peruse for more clues, I guess).

• #2279855 Reply
        spencer.p.lane
        AskWoody Plus

It’s Monday and no BSOD. Well, now I’m going to install and test the new memory. The laptop has two slots with one populated. I got a two stick replacement kit and will test each individually.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is It My Memory’s Fault?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.