News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • is it possible to move Office 2010 to a new PC?

Posted on alphacharlie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2010 and earlier for PC is it possible to move Office 2010 to a new PC?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bmeacham 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

alphacharlie
      AskWoody Plus

Santa is planning to replace my 10-year old Thinkpad T61 laptop running Win7 64-bit,
      with a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon.
      The new machine should have Windows 10 Pro pre-installed but will NOT come with MS Office preinstalled.

The old machine has Office Professional 2010
      version 14.0.7214.5000 (32-bit)
      and I see a Product ID in the window that appears under File, Help.
      I also have a 20-digit Product Key from September 2010.

Is it even possible to install this on a new PC and remove it from the old one?
      I do not use Outlook, Access, Publisher, or OneNote.
      BUT I do use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint regularly, and they all seem to work just fine on the old machine, so I would like to avoid paying Microsoft for a newer version, unless there is some good reason to do so.

I think that the 2010 version offered 32-bit OR 64-bit, but the conventional wisdom back then was to stick with 32-bit for compatibility with old files. Is that still the case?

And then there is the issue of “end-of-life”:
      Although Office 2010 will continue to function after October 13, 2020, the following conditions will apply to the software:

No Microsoft support will be available.
      No security updates or fixes will be available.

Thanks for any advice.

• #241638 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Some of the older versions of Office 2010 allowed installation on two PCs – think desktop and mobile (laptop). If you have the product key you probably will have no problem, providing the product key matches the version you are installing (Home & Student, Professional, etc). If the product key is the one you have installed, be sure to check the version so you install the right one. The product key has to match the version. If the version you have has only one seat, you may have to do the phone activation if auto activation doesn’t work.

Be careful and READ THE POPUPS when you install. The installation has been known to reset Windows Update, and other things to default settings.

With Office 2010, I think you are better off with the 32-bit version. I understand there were compatibility issues with the 64-bit.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #241646 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Be careful and READ THE POPUPS when you install.

Definitely with a clean install of Office 2010 on Win7, as soon as you accept Office updates, assuming that’s, what you want. Scoot over to your Windows update and reset the settings you will find its set to M$’s fling everything at you unannounced setting. That way you regain control over the Patch’s. You wont have to worry again I haven’t seen any reversion once set.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #241647 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

From just “Office 2010” it isn’t possible to know which type of license it is. Some of those were tied to the hardware to such an extent that you’d have to buy a new license after having the computer repaired under warranty, some had one seat but allowed hardware replacement, and yet others allowed for concurrent installations on a number of computers, with different limitations – one was 1 desktop + 1 laptop, another was 3 computers in the same home…

Now, since you mention Access… that was not very common in the cheaper packages, so if you have it, that’d make it more likely that your license would be transferable. Still not guaranteed so check your paperwork.

And yes, 32-bit version recommended… even with Office 2016 still. Haven’t checked if that’s changed with the 2019 version.

• #241651 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Plus

I have a 3 seat Home and Office (w/Outlook) version of 2010. I had used 2 seats. When I put it on my laptop after converting an older laptop to Linux, before I did the install I called MS to make sure it did not use my last seat. They asked if I had removed the earlier one and I said yes. It installed fine, did not reset WU and I still have my last seat. Do pay close attention to the install process. I usually do not allow it to update during or after the install. I then do any updates the next day.

I have always used the 32 bit install due to reported compatibility. If I remember correctly one of the recent Outlook patches created issuse on 64bit Office 2010 installs.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #241837 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

I have a two-seat licence for Office 2010 Professional, and have installed it again and again as I have renewed my computing equipment, desktop and laptop, every three to four years over the past (nearly) decade.  Only once in that time have I been asked for telephone activation.  If you bought the Office installation pre-installed, then you don’t have a stand alone licence, and will not (should not) be able to install it again on a new machine, i.e. the licence was good for one install, and you’ve already had that, even if you yourself didn’t do the installation.  If you have lost your product key, then you might want to look into “product key finders”, which seem to back-calculate your product key from your Product ID.  Magical Jelly Bean publishes the one that I have used.  And yes, use the 32-bit installation.  I hope that answers with your questions.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #1856299 Reply

bmeacham
      AskWoody Lounger

If you have the product key and the installation files, first remove it from the old machine while connected to the internet and then install it on the new machine.  This procedure has worked for me just fine.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: is it possible to move Office 2010 to a new PC?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel