News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is it safe to install 1909?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Is it safe to install 1909?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Tom
        AskWoody Plus

I have Win 10 Pro 1903 installed, with the (second) June patch and no printer, wifi or networking problems and everything is running smoothly and without issues. Is it safe to turn my ‘Defer feature updates’ setting in group policies down to 180 days, so I’ll get 1909? Is 1909 stable now, or will dragons appear if I install it?

• #2277396 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Woody has been recommending 1909 for a while.
        See this thread for more details.

cheers, Paul

• #2277487 Reply
        doneager
        AskWoody Plus

I have been watching and waiting for sometime for Woody to give the OK for non-business users to update from 1903 Pro to 1909 Pro. I don’t recall seeing that. What I remember is that his opinion was that it was probably safe, but not worth it for non-business users due to a lack of substantive changes. Am I wrong here? Is it now recommended for non-business users to update?

Thanks.
        D. Eager

• #2277488 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Woody has been recommending upgrading to v1909 for at least a month now.
          Be careful you don’t get v2004!

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Tom
          • #2277513 Reply
            doneager

Can you tell me where the recommendation appeared. I need to know how I missed it!

Thanks.

• #2277521 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

This from the April 1 ComputerWorld article, but I think he was recommending it before that. I just can’t find it now.

Install the latest Win10 March Cumulative Update

If you haven’t yet moved to Win10 version 1909 (in the Windows search box type winver and hit Enter), I recommend that you do so. The bugs in version 1903 are largely replicated in 1909 and vice versa, so there’s very little reason to hold off on making the switch — although, admittedly, there’s almost nothing worthwhile that’s new in version 1909. I have detailed instructions for moving to 1909 here.

Update: Here’s an even earlier reference from ComputerWorld Feb 28th article.
              And here on AskWoody.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PKCano.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is it safe to install 1909?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.